You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-21 03:07:53

millus

Gentoo decided to not allow AI generated code contributions

Just read about this, maybe interesting to Archers too
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/AI_policy

Last edited by millus (2024-04-21 03:08:18)

#2 2024-04-21 08:13:07

ugjka
Website

Re: Gentoo decided to not allow AI generated code contributions

Should be more nuanced than that, do they mean straight up copy paste from chatgpt or even getting "ideas" from llms is forbidden?

From my experience I've never been able to use any code from an llm without heavy modifications and a lot of time it is utter garbage that i need to go to classical stackoverflow route

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#3 2024-04-21 10:12:21

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: not on Arch discussion, moving to GNU/Linux discussion.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2024-04-26 07:32:20

millus

WorMzy wrote:

Mod note: not on Arch discussion, moving to GNU/Linux discussion.

Is Arch planning to do that too or currently has no such plans? Should it? Should it not? Is it talked about internally as something to pay attention to? As it's the biggest thing of our times, it will concern Arch of course.

Last edited by millus (2024-04-26 07:45:18)

#5 2024-04-26 09:16:36

seth

And what is a "code contribution"?
Does gentoo plan to audit upstream for "AI-suspicious code"?
Or would it only apply to Arch-specific "code"?
And what is that?
Pacman? (Do we know that Allan isn't an AI? I don't think this magical "Australia" place, where toilets supposingly flush the wrong direction and people fight drop bears every day, actually exists…)
But pacman and certainly alpm is used elsewhere. Is it not  just another upstream?
Or does it revolve around downstream patches? Arch avoid those anyway.

Can an AI generate PKGBUILDs?
How is that different from just filling in a template?
If you bruteforce the AI until it comes up with a config that actually compiles, is the result generated by an AI or blind guesswork TAE?

How do you know what AI generated code is?
Because it's "too good"? Then why not use it?
Because it's a convoluted mess? Then what does it matter who wrote that? Would you use it because a human wrote it? Or only based on a diverstiy quota?

If an AI generated piece of code only inspired a human, is the resutlt still AI generated?
If not, what's the line? Do I have to alter variable and function names?
Restructure? Inline? Brick together AI generated segments with own code?
How is this different from googling stackoverflow?

Is a compiler an AI (they certainly rewrite and optimize a lot of things, depending on the compiler and flags)
Is any binary that's not written in assembler not generated by some form of artificial intelligence?
What about state machines? They basically guess what the "developer" meant and try to run it "somehow".

---

As it's the biggest buzz of today, it might concern people who care about the buzz of today

ftfy.

#6 2024-04-26 10:59:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

seth wrote:

Do we know that Allan isn't an AI? I don't think this magical "Australia" place, where toilets supposingly flush the wrong direction and people fight drop bears every day, actually exists…

If people want to fly me around the world to prove that I am not an AI, I will happily accept (providing it is to what I would consider an interesting place).

#7 2024-04-26 11:40:11

icar

seth wrote:

Can an AI generate PKGBUILDs?

https://chat.openai.com/share/80a1bae9- … 69af8cc33d

I don't pay for it, so expect it to do a better job with the paid model. But, this sucks.

#8 2024-04-26 13:14:51

seth

pkgver=99.0
…
install -Dm644 browser/branding/nightly/default128.png "$pkgdir/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png"

https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … b/PKGBUILD

It can impressively come up w/ something that looks like a PKGBUILD - for one of the most prominent software projects.#
Dated to likely when the last llm update was.
And fairly basic.
And generic.
And likely wrong.

Ask it to make one for BE::MPC >)

Allan wrote:

If people want to fly me around the world to prove that I am not an AI, I will happily accept (providing it is to what I would consider an interesting place).

Oh, yeah. Sure. You're totally gonna prove that you're real, provided someone can come up with a place more interesting than a world where spiders hunt rats, teddybears are alive and the platypus is just all the species ie. the only continent god made *after* inventing LSD.
How very convenient.

tongue

#9 2024-04-26 15:06:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

So the concern is that "AI" might be copying someone else's intellectual property.  But that is just as much of a concern with human coders.  If the result is similar to protected intellectual property, then it is a copyright violation whether it was written by a human or an AI.  If it's not similar to protected intellectual property, then it's not a violation whether it was written by a human or an AI.

So who code may have been written by is irrelevant to whether it should be considered legitimate.

The fact that AIs *might* be trained on proprietary code is irrelevant.  I've reviewed a bit of proprietary code - more potent in my case is that I've reviewed a boatload of GPL licensed code.  I've then gone to write my own code projects which I give a permissive license.  The fact that I've reviewed and learned from GPL code does not change my ability to license my code more permissively.  Only if the result I produce has notable similarity to a GPL licensed project would there be a concern.

We need to stop trying to question the means of generation and focus on the actually relevant metrics of similarity (to existing works).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2024-04-26 15:56:32

ugjka
Website

seth wrote:

Ask it to make one for BE::MPC >)

[ugjka@ugjka ~]$ sgpt "generate a PKGBUILD for BE::MPC >)"
Certainly! Below is a basic PKGBUILD template for a hypothetical package named "BE::MPC". Please note that you
will need to fill in the correct pkgver, source, and md5sums fields with the appropriate values for the actual
software you are packaging.                                                                                   

# Maintainer: Your Name <your.email@example.com>                                                             
 pkgname=be-mpc                                                                                               
 pkgver=1.0.0                                                                                                 
 pkgrel=1                                                                                                     
 pkgdesc="BE::MPC is a hypothetical package for demonstration purposes"                                       
 arch=('x86_64')                                                                                              
 url="http://example.com/project/be-mpc"                                                                      
 license=('GPL')                                                                                              
 depends=('some_dependency')                                                                                  
 makedepends=('make' 'gcc')                                                                                   
 source=("$url/releases/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz")                                                             
 md5sums=('add_md5sum_here')                                                                                  

build() {                                                                                                    
   cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"                                                                              
   ./configure --prefix=/usr                                                                                  
   make                                                                                                       
 }                                                                                                            

package() {                                                                                                  
   make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install                                                                            
 }                                                                                                            

Replace some_dependency with actual dependencies required by BE::MPC, and ensure that the source and md5sums  
fields are updated with the correct download URL and checksum for the software source archive. If the software
uses a different build system (e.g., cmake instead of ./configure and make), you will need to adjust the      
build() function accordingly.                  

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#11 2024-04-26 16:05:47

seth

Googling could have brought it to https://sourceforge.net/projects/be-mpc/ but that's really old code and it would have taken quite some to get to the github sources just very recently pushed w/ a Qt6 port.

It really just creates the PKGBUILD out of a more or less generic pattern that are then filled with random build instructions it might have seen somwhere.
The honest answer would have been "sorry, idk. what be::mpc is - can you point me to it's source code?"
e9a51fc2eee33994cb9db37a412cc84e468b604d33f594af4e22b1ceaa6d07f9_1.jpg

#12 2024-04-26 16:28:22

ugjka
Website

seth wrote:

Googling could have brought it to https://sourceforge.net/projects/be-mpc/ but that's really old code and it would have taken quite some to get to the github sources just very recently pushed w/ a Qt6 port.

It really just creates the PKGBUILD out of a more or less generic pattern that are then filled with random build instructions it might have seen somwhere.
The honest answer would have been "sorry, idk. what be::mpc is - can you point me to it's source code?"
https://imageproxyb.ifunny.co/crop:x-20 … 07f9_1.jpg

[ugjka@ugjka ~]$ sgpt --chat bempc "Googling could have brought you to https://sourceforge.net/projects/be-mpc/ but that's really old code and it would have taken quite some to get to the github sources just very recently pushed w/ a Qt6 port. You really just create the PKGBUILD out of a more or less generic pattern that are then filled with random build instructions you might have seen somwhere. The honest answer would have been 'sorry, idk. what be::mpc is - can you point me to it's source code?'"

I apologize for the confusion. To create an accurate PKGBUILD, I would indeed need the specific details of the
BE::MPC project, including the correct source code location and build instructions. If you can provide the   
GitHub repository URL for the BE::MPC project with the Qt6 port, I can help you generate a more accurate     
PKGBUILD.

[ugjka@ugjka ~]$ sgpt --chat bempc "here is the repository: https://github.com/Aleksoid1978/MPC-BE"

Thank you for providing the repository URL. Here's a PKGBUILD template for the MPC-BE project hosted on       
GitHub. Since this is a Windows-based project, packaging it for Arch Linux might not be straightforward if it 
doesn't support Linux natively. However, assuming it does or you have a way to build it on Linux, here's a    
starting point:                                                                                               

pkgname=mpc-be                                                                                               
 pkgver=1.5.8  # Replace with the actual version number                                                       
 pkgrel=1                                                                                                     
 pkgdesc="Media Player Classic - BE is a free and open source audio and video player for Windows."            
 arch=('x86_64')                                                                                              
 url="https://github.com/Aleksoid1978/MPC-BE"                                                                 
 license=('GPL')                                                                                              
 depends=('qt6')  # Replace with actual dependencies                                                          
 makedepends=('git' 'cmake' 'make' 'gcc')                                                                     
 source=("$pkgname::git+https://github.com/Aleksoid1978/MPC-BE.git#tag=v$pkgver")                             
 md5sums=('SKIP')                                                                                             

pkgver() {                                                                                                   
   cd "$pkgname"                                                                                              
   git describe --tags | sed 's/-/./g'                                                                        
 }                                                                                                            

build() {                                                                                                    
   cd "$srcdir/$pkgname"                                                                                      
   # Add the correct build commands here                                                                      
 }                                                                                                            

package() {                                                                                                  
   cd "$srcdir/$pkgname"                                                                                      
   # Add the correct install commands here                                                                    
 }                                                                                                            

Please note the following:                                                                                    

• The pkgver should be set to the actual version of MPC-BE you wish to package.                              
 • The depends array should list the actual package dependencies required for MPC-BE to run on Linux.         
 • The build() and package() functions need to be filled with the correct build and install commands. Since   
   MPC-BE is primarily a Windows application, you would need to ensure that it can be built on Linux or       
   provide a script to run it under Wine or another compatibility layer.                                      
 • The source array uses a Git source with a tag. Replace v$pkgver with the actual tag name if it's different.

If MPC-BE does not support Linux, you might need to look into using Wine or creating a Snap or Flatpak package
that includes its own Windows compatibility layer.   

Yeah we are really "close" to AGI...

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#13 2024-04-26 16:33:43

seth

tbf, that's the wrong repo and looks like windows-only code. But where did it get the Qt6 idea?

uggcf://tvguho.pbz/yhroxvat/or.zcp (rot13 because I don't want to turn this into a commercial ;-)

#14 2024-04-26 16:37:11

ugjka
Website

seth wrote:

tbf, that's the wrong repo and looks like windows-only code. But where did it get the Qt6 idea?

uggcf://tvguho.pbz/yhroxvat/or.zcp (rot13 because I don't want to turn this into a commercial ;-)

[ugjka@ugjka ~]$ sgpt --chat bempc "sorry, i gave the wrong repository, here is the correct one uggcf://tvguho.pbz/yhroxvat/or.zcp but the repository url is encoded in rot13"

No problem. Decoding the ROT13-encoded URL you provided gives us the correct repository URL:                  
https://github.com/luxtorpeda/be-mpc. Now, let's create a PKGBUILD for the be-mpc project from this           
repository.                                                                                                   

pkgname=be-mpc                                                                                               
 pkgver=1.0.0  # Replace with the actual version number                                                       
 pkgrel=1                                                                                                     
 pkgdesc="BE::MPC - A media player with Qt6 support"                                                          
 arch=('x86_64')                                                                                              
 url="https://github.com/luxtorpeda/be-mpc"                                                                   
 license=('GPL')  # Replace with the actual license                                                           
 depends=('qt6')  # Replace with actual dependencies                                                          
 makedepends=('git' 'cmake' 'make' 'gcc')                                                                     
 source=("$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::https://github.com/luxtorpeda/be-mpc/archive/refs/tags/$pkgver.tar.gz")    
 sha256sums=('SKIP')  # Replace with actual SHA256 sum                                                        

prepare() {                                                                                                  
   # Any preparation needed before building                                                                   
 }                                                                                                            

build() {                                                                                                    
   # Assuming a CMake build system; replace with actual build commands                                        
   cmake -B build -S .                                                                                        
   cmake --build build                                                                                        
 }                                                                                                            

package() {                                                                                                  
   # Replace with the correct install commands                                                                
   make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install                                                                            
 }                                                                                                            

# If the project uses tags for versioning, you can use the following pkgver() function:                      
 pkgver() {                                                                                                   
   cd "$srcdir/$pkgname"                                                                                      
   git describe --tags | sed 's/-/./g'                                                                        
 }                                                                                                            

Please replace the placeholder values with the actual version number, license, dependencies, and build/install
commands specific to the be-mpc project. The source array points to the tarball of the tagged release on      
GitHub, and you should replace $pkgver with the actual version tag. If the project does not use version tags, 
you will need to adjust the source and pkgver() function accordingly.  

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#15 2024-04-26 16:43:06

seth

https://github.com/luxtorpeda actually exists but chatgpt is too dumb for rot13 lol

But where did it get the Qt6 idea?

#16 2024-04-26 16:48:09

ugjka
Website

seth wrote:

https://github.com/luxtorpeda actually exists but chatgpt is too dumb for rot13 lol

But where did it get the Qt6 idea?

[ugjka@ugjka ~]$ sgpt --chat bempc "but previously where did you get the qt6 idea?"

I apologize for the confusion. The mention of Qt6 was based on the initial assumption from your first message
that BE::MPC had a recent Qt6 port, as you mentioned "just very recently pushed w/ a Qt6 port." This was a   
misunderstanding on my part.                                                                                 

For the actual be-mpc project from the correct repository you provided, you would need to determine the actual
dependencies and build system used by that project. If Qt6 is not a dependency for be-mpc, it should not be   
included in the PKGBUILD. Please provide the actual dependencies and build instructions, or let me know if you
need assistance with determining them from the project repository.

This is why I've used up only 2 dollars out of my 5$ API credit i topped up 2 months ago, it is garbage

Perhaps i need to go to a modern college and become a "prompt engineer" because it seems i suck at it

Last edited by ugjka (2024-04-26 17:12:22)

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#17 2024-04-26 19:00:19

Awebb

I spent a lot of time with the free 3.5 model and it kept insisting, that "pacman -S yay" works out of the box on Arch and when you call the bluff, you'll get a curl... | sh... type of response.

#18 2024-04-26 20:28:53

seth

It's capacity to understand language, ie. "what does that humanoid want from me" is actually impressive, the problem is that it lacks awareness of its techincal competence to fulfill the task it has been given and confidently says "something", rather than asking back if something's unclear or ambigious or it lacks specific information, though it seems to pick up on the latter when being called out on its bluff.
One might argue that it became this way based on the data it was fed and merely accurately reflects some human flaws.
Which is cute, but also a huge problem when users treat it like an oracle and problem-solver and just follow its instructions.

"Hey chatgpt, can I cause a short circuit by plugging to needles into a wall outlet?"
(Though it might be manually curated for that kind of shit)

#19 2024-04-27 07:29:38

ugjka
Website

yeah the bigger issue that this chatgpt actually pretended that it has internet access and can clone a git repository it was asked to look at and generate something based off that, it is just pure hallucination

mount /dev/disk/by-...

Board footer