You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-23 19:11:03

whiteman808

Issue with Arch pacman keyring when I create own archiso image

I have recently generated a custom Arch image from archiso and got the following messages

other msgs
(16/19) Warn about old perl modules
(17/19) Updating the info directory file...
(18/19) Uncommenting all mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist...
(19/19) Work around FS#49347 by removing custom pacman hooks that are only required during ISO build...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Done! Packages installed successfully.
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating version files...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Done!
[mkarchiso] INFO: Copying /etc/skel/* to user homes...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating a list of installed packages on live-enviroment...
warning: Public keyring not found; have you run 'pacman-key --init'?
error: archzfs: key "DDF7DB817396A49B2A2723F7403BD972F75D9D76" is unknown
error: keyring is not writable
[mkarchiso] INFO: Setting up SYSLINUX for BIOS booting from a disk...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Preparing kernel and initramfs for the ISO 9660 file system...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Done! SYSLINUX set up for BIOS booting from a disk successfully.
other msgs

My question is how can I fix the keyring problem? When I run pacman the first time it complains about the pacman keyring and not syncing the repository.

Last edited by whiteman808 (2024-04-23 19:14:16)

#2 2024-04-24 00:48:46

cryptearth

Re: Issue with Arch pacman keyring when I create own archiso image

simple fix: don't include the archzfs repo
if you want to do this because of root on zfs - just don't do it - having root on any kind of "raid" is prone to break
the way simpler way: set up your OS on a regular ext4 and don't have it to rely on the pool in any way
if even you use the archzfs repo they often lack behind so you end up either use AUR and DKMS or build it from source anyway
TLDR: there's no point in try to include archzfs into archiso - end of story - if you want to try otherwise: plan for a good back up and prepare for require it as data loss is about to happen

#3 2024-04-24 07:12:35

seth

The OP however didn't ask whether using zfs on linux is a good idea (which is subjective and heavily depends on how much one hates oneself)

@whiteman808, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Archis … _the_image
Assuming you've been following some likeshareandsubscribe youtube tutorial on this, rather consume the entire wiki page…

#4 2024-04-24 16:18:17

cryptearth

Seth - first - F you - second: I use zfs myself - but I'm not so dumb to try root on zfs - which, same as with root on btrfs, md or any other "raid" is just prone to break and spams any related forum
if one wants to use it - fine - all I recommend is: don't be stupid and try to have your os on such construct as it WILL break

#5 2024-04-24 17:12:56

seth

So one should be only so stupid to store ones private data on unreliable FS?
It's ok to have an opinion about a subject (I certainly do - plenty), but this isn't your blog.
The OP asked a question, it doesn't seem an xy-problem, the question wasn't whether ZFS on linux is a good idea and you don't know their motivation to use zfs.
You could at least have paired your warnings with an actual answer.

Off topic:

Seth - first - F you - second

Don't make that a habit that might spill over to other users, https://terms.archlinux.org/docs/code-of-conduct/
Personally I'd prefer if you'd then muster the balls to actually write it out, might also help you with your anger issues.

Board footer