You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-28 11:23:57

asfaltboy

How to contact package maintainers to add a -git package

Hi all, I'm a new Arch user, and I'm loving it a bunch, thanks to everyone who makes it great! I didn't interact a lot with the community yet, but I want to start.

Context

I am looking to use a new git version of darkman, since it has a bunch of changes I want to benefit from (git link).
But, I cannot find a darkman-git package in the repos (search link).

Questions

1. Is it a good idea to add this -git package?
2. If yes, how do I go about asking the package maintainers for help?
3. And, is there a way for me to easily contribute this -git package?

#2 2024-04-28 12:09:21

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: How to contact package maintainers to add a -git package

VCS (-git) packages are not welcome in the offiical repos, but they are in the Arch User Repository .

There's currently no darkman-git package in the AUR so you'll have to create one.

Apart from the AUR wiki page you should also read https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/VCS_package_guidelines .

/usr/share/pacman/PKGBUILD-vcs.proto can help to get you started.

MOD note : moving to AUR Issues, Discussion & PKGBUILD Requests

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#3 2024-04-28 13:53:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How to contact package maintainers to add a -git package

asfaltboy wrote:

is there a way for me to easily contribute this -git package?

To the AUR as noted above, it should be trivially easy as you already have the starting point here.  Modify that PKGBUILD to use the git source as described in the links provided in the last post and there should really be nothing to this.

That said, while the steps should be very easy - taking all of a few minutes for anyone familiar with the steps - you are not familiar.  So there will be a bit of learning to do - but this is a great opportunity for you to learn about the AUR and submitting packages.  This looks like an easy "starter-package".

Feel free to post any drafts or questions along the way here.  We'd be happy to help you create this package.  But I'd not expect anyone to do it for you (in fact, if anyone does, they'd really be doing you a disservice).

Last edited by Trilby (2024-04-28 13:55:13)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Board footer