You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-21 12:07:50

Back2Cali

[solved] X11 desaster after todays update!

Hi!

I have some big problem after todays update of my system. I just installed the new Kernel 2.6.19-beyond (I need this one because of my reiser4 partitions) and rebuild the nvidia module for it. After the usual restart I'm no longer able to start KDM or KDE at all. Whenever I want to start KDE the either by using kdm or startx my computer starts working for about 5 seconds, the screen starts to switch as usual, but than I get thrown back to the console, having a blank screen laft and the computer doesn't react anymore. :shock:
It also stops working immediately and I only can push trhe reset button. This is some fatal problem since I have lots of work that needs to be done. I also switched the xorg.conf to the nv or vesa module but still the same thing happens. I also rebuild the beyond kernel but the same thing.

So can anybody help me with this. I need to get my work done and couldn't find any answer to this. This is very urgent since I already have a schedule that is almost out of control. sad

Thanks a lot!

#2 2006-12-21 12:56:38

smoon
Website

Re: [solved] X11 desaster after todays update!

First, check your logs (especially Xorg.0.log). They may inlcude valuable information about what exactly happens.

If you can't figure it out you could still reinstall your previous kernel and nvidia drivers. There's a package cache in /var/cache/pacman/pkg where old and current packages are kept until you delete them. You can use `pacman -U /path/to/package.pkg.tar.gz' to install a package archive.

#3 2006-12-21 13:06:55

Back2Cali

Thanks for the advice. But I usually delete the cache after a while, so it just happened that I did this a couple of days ago so I don't have the previous kernel in there.
About the Xorg.0.log, I already checked it for any error or warning by using

more /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW 

and

more /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE 

but there's nothing in there that indicates any problem. Both results don't show any warning or error. Besides that I didn't change the xorg.conf after the update and it worked before....

But thanks anyway for trying to help me out. Do you (or anybody else here) have another idea that I might have not thought of?

So I'm still stuck on this and my working clock is ticking.

I really don't have any clue what this might cause.  :?

Thanks!

#4 2006-12-21 14:31:09

ralvez
Website

I would remove Nvidia and start X with the plain vesa drivers see if it works. If it does, it will allow you to catch up with your schedule and later try to figure out the problem.

R.

#5 2006-12-21 15:24:20

Back2Cali

I already did that with the same result. That's why I'm sure it is a kernel problem. I checked it by using the "vesa" module and the "nv" module. It's all the same problem. The system doesn't start up kdm or kde...

is there any way how to figure out why it doesn't start other than the Xorg.0.log? I'm not su familiar with the logging under Linux since after switching to Arch I barly had any problems at all. I only had to check the Xorg logging file but no other one....

#6 2006-12-21 15:35:38

smoon
Website

Maybe you can give kernel26mm from extra a try. AFAIK it contains reiser4 as well...

#7 2006-12-21 19:33:06

Back2Cali

That's strange. I installed the mm kernel and put reiser4 in the modules section of the mkinitcpio.conf file. When creating the ramdisk is dropped an error saying that the reiser4 module wouldn't exist...

#8 2006-12-21 20:07:53

Neverth
Website

If you think its a problem with beyond, you can try using these unofficial packages (they were made before 2.6.19-beyond hit extra and).
http://manveru.mine.nu/mirror/beyond64/
I use nvidia with it and it works fine (and i dont use reiser4 here).

Flying is Trying is Dying

#9 2006-12-21 20:51:01

Back2Cali

Thanks for the packages. I think it is the kernel since the computer worked before the update and I only got the Kernel and Nvidia drivers updated. Because of switching to vesa and it still didn't work all that's left is the kernel, that can cause trouble as far as I can see. Before that I used the 2.6.17 beyond kernel, which worked without any sort of trouble. So I guess it's something either in the kernel, that changed, or in the patchset.... or is there any other possibility that might indicate what actually is wrong?

As I said, I can't imagine of one right now. So I guess I try your packages and get back in here after checked them out....  smile

Thanks a lot!

#10 2006-12-21 21:06:12

Back2Cali

I gave the packages you posted a shot, but unfortunately they also won't work. Still the same problem. I start KDE and the screen wents all dark like it usually does, but then I get thrown back to the console, all drives stop working and the system is frozen....

So I guess it is a problem with the 2.6.19 version of the kernel in general. Maybe it won't work with my mainboard or SATA controller in this version. Does anybody know something about it? I have a MSI K9N Platinum mainboard with an Athlon64 X2 Processor and an ASUS Graphics card with a GF7600GT chip.

Maybe someone having the same board has similar prblems....

#11 2006-12-21 21:19:23

espo

hi so i testet the beyond kernel out of the extra repo and the nvidia-beyond from the extra repo and it work perfect for me i got a Geforce FX 5200 and a motherboard with a nforce3 chip.

Greetings
eSpo

#12 2006-12-22 08:44:07

Back2Cali

Hi everybody!

After using the packages Neverth offered in his post I did a update today. It updated the kernel again and I tried to start KDM. Didn't work, but not the usual error. System said it can't load the nvidia module so I reupdated them too. Well I don't know why and how, but after that it worked again. KDE is finally working again. Well, maybe the third time reinstalling nvidia and the kernel did the trick. I don't know for sure.

Anyway, thanks everybody for their help. Even after that little disaster I still feel that arch is the distro to go at least for me. Not only because of it's simplicity, but also because of it's great community.

Thanks to everyone!

Board footer