You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-22 14:46:42

thea

missing rc.d scripts -- [solved]

I am new to Arch Linux, but not a Linux newbie. Have just installed Arch Linux on my Acer TravelMate 351TEV (Pentium 3, 5 years old); previous distros SuSE 9.1 and Debian Sarge worked ok.

On startup I get error messages when the rc.conf file is read, certain modules cannot be started because they do not exist in rc.d (which is true, they don't). However, they have been installed (they are listed by lsmod), and can be started manually (apparently, at least, I can start ALSA manually). So the problem appears to be how to create the scripts for rc.d, so they can be launched on startup. The modules in question are:
  pcmcia
  snd_pcm_oss
  snd_ali5451

Many thanks,

thea

#2 2006-12-22 15:07:45

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: missing rc.d scripts -- [solved]

thea wrote:

On startup I get error messages when the rc.conf file is read, certain modules cannot be started because they do not exist in rc.d (which is true, they don't).

What? You placed some modules in DAEMONS array instead of MODULES? wink
Show us what's in your MODULES and DAEMONS arrays.

thea wrote:

However, they have been installed (they are listed by lsmod), and can be started manually (apparently, at least, I can start ALSA manually). So the problem appears to be how to create the scripts for rc.d, so they can be launched on startup. The modules in question are:
  pcmcia
  snd_pcm_oss
  snd_ali5451

You should start ALSA by placing alsa in DAEMONS array of rc.conf.
Also it seems you need to have alsa-oss package installed, if not already.

to live is to die

#3 2006-12-22 16:11:28

thea

ok, my modules line was blank "()", pcmcia was in the daemons line at installation, commented out ("!"), which I uncommented for the installation, and (of course) left in the daemons array. After re-reading Arch Alsa setup, I realised I had misread the instructions for where to place snd-pcm-oss and snd-ali5451 (am so used to sticking things in the daemons array!).

I moved snd-pcm-oss, snd-ali5451 and pcmcia to the modules line. I had to update the ALSA lib package (it was already installed) in order to get the alsa script in rc.d, but it's there now and ALSA starts up just fine after adding alsa to the daemons. Also no complaints now at startup.

Thanks Romashka!

thea

#4 2006-12-22 16:25:18

Romashka
Forum Fellow

We are there to help.
You may add "[solved]" to the topic's title. wink

to live is to die

Board footer