You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-07 19:16:31

p0indext0r

I need some advice...

Hi, I'm not quite sure where this topic should go exactly as it isn't about a specific topic. So plz fogive me if it's wrongly placed in your opinion.

Anyway, I've been a long time fan of Linux and I don't want to have to stop using it. I've just recently converted my whole computer to a linuxbox only system, as I was running winxp(uke) before and couldn't stand it. It would lag during simple tasks like going from one directory to another and for no apparent reason, which aided me in my conversion. Enough about winblows, I don't need to tell you guys why it sucks, we all have our reasons. But there is just one thing bothering me now... and that is gaming. I am a huge fan of gaming and have been doing so for quite some time now (years) and well... gaming on linux hasn't been too pleasant for obvious reasons.

1) the games I play except for quake3 are written and made to run solely on a winblows workstation.
2) Wine and Winex3 have limited, but growing support for a range of games.
3) Lastly the main game I would like to play (Steam CS 1.6) doesn't like to run on linux due to its constant updates, which throws WInex3 out of wack. Where it could have been working the day before but due to the update it no longer runs.

I'm thinking of just making a partition for winxp(uke) so that I can game, but this isn't something I'm totally willing to do.

Basically I need some advice and/or suggestions that anyone is willing to share with me.

Thank you in advance.

BTW: I'm not new to linux, I've been using it for almost 2 years now and have tried ALL of the distro's you can think of. (Arch is my distro of choice at the moment, along with slackware.)

If a turtle loses its shell, is it naked or homeless? -- p0indext0r

#2 2004-04-07 20:33:08

whol

Re: I need some advice...

Enemy Territory is an excellent game, and it is totally free.

I haven't played the free game from the US Army, but heard it is really good, and is totally free.

I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which plays perfectly in Single player mode, but I have some trouble in multiplayer mode (and I'm not an expert either).

I bought Unreal Tournament 2004, which plays perfectly in both single player and online, but I simply suck at the game.

I bought Never Winter Nights because I know the company has a linux version you can download once you have a registered copy.  I havent installed it yet, though, been playing UT2004.

Doom3 is supposedly going to have a linux installer on the CD's, like UT2004 does.

Anygame that uses OpenGL graphics instead of DirectX will prolly run under WINE or WINEX, or be easy for the original company to port (if they choose to).

There are some "up and coming" linux only OpenGL games, light flightgear (a flight simulator), and a couple of 'massive online games".

Betweet RTCW, EnemyT, Never Winter Nights, UT2004, and soon Doom3 - I have enough games to play, and thats without buying winex.

Fergettabout Windows! You simply don't need it anymore.

If you are determined to run Windows, get a removeable drive bay, and just swap boot drives when you want to swtich.  Or use GRUB if you want to select from multiple OS's.

thx

Board footer