You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-24 03:48:24

mcrae

embarrasing question about local domain.>[SOLVED]

OK,
Every time I set a box up I name it blackbox, tanbox, lap1 etc. But when I get to the local domain I use "kitchen" . So All the computers in the house have "kitchen" as the local domain. My question is should it be kitchen.net, .org, .com or does it matter? Do I need to specify .net, .com etc or can I just leave it as blackbox.kitchen. [edit] Or do you guys just leave localdomain as ....localdomain ?

Is that clear?

Thanks,
McRae
ps I've tried to google this and search the forums but I cannot find an answer to this.

#2 2006-12-24 04:03:47

ralvez
Website

Re: embarrasing question about local domain.>[SOLVED]

McRae,

The local domain specifies a "real" domain. If you do not have the system set up on a domain you can use "localdomain" and that's all that is needed.

#3 2006-12-24 04:24:56

mcrae

Ralvez,
OK, Thank you for the straight forward answer.

So this is just for internel configuration on my lan? Would I be wrong to use my internet providers domain like adelphia.net (how my email comes in and out).

sheeeesh maybe you better just send me to some network documentation sites......LOL.

#4 2006-12-24 14:02:20

ralvez
Website

No , *never* use in your LAN the ID (or domain name) of a registered public domain or a fictitious name it is a matter of time before it creates you trouble.

This explanation of using NAT will give you an idea of what I mean:

The effect is to hide multiple hosts behind a single public IP address. Notice it is the action of sending a packet from the LAN to a host on the Internet that creates a return translation entry. Until a host on the LAN initiates contact, it is invisible to the public Internet. It has no public IP address and traffic addressed to the gateway machine is not forwarded to the LAN since there is no reverse translation entry.

Now ... if the LAN has someone else public ID, there would be a conflict would it not? and where do the packet goes ... only God knows.

Hope this helps.

R

#5 2006-12-24 18:47:36

mcrae

Ralvez,
OK, thanks so much for taking the time to answer:)

I appreciate it,
McRae

Board footer