You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-02 18:25:44

Maksym

[SOLVED] initramfs(boot): Poweroff/shutdown on password entry timeout

I have full encrypted root partition, and system is asking password on early boot.

I want to power off my system when it started by accident (accidentally hit power button on my laptop) after some amount of time. Currently, if it turned on by accident, it will ask password indefinitely until battery was discharged.

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf
HOOKS=(systemd autodetect microcode modconf keyboard sd-vconsole block sd-encrypt filesystems fsck)

Kernel parameters:

rd.luks.options=timeout=10s luks.options=discard luks.name=fa0158b2=root luks.name=264314ea=swap root=/dev/mapper/root initrd=/initramfs-linux-lts.img resume=/dev/mapper/swap

I tried rd.luks.options=timeout, but it doesn't help. It bails out to emergency mode.

Also, I tried to take a look to the mkinitcpio /usr/lib/initcpio/install/sd-encrypt script, but it wasn't helpful for me. Looks like password asking and boot flow is completely up to systemd.

Last edited by Maksym (2024-06-10 14:36:38)

#2 2024-06-02 22:43:20

Maksym

Re: [SOLVED] initramfs(boot): Poweroff/shutdown on password entry timeout

Is that even possible with mkinitcpio, or I should look into dracut?

#3 2024-06-03 08:04:32

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Also, I tried to take a look to the mkinitcpio /usr/lib/initcpio/install/sd-encrypt script, but it wasn't helpful for me. Looks like password asking and boot flow is completely up to systemd.

The sd in sd-encrypt stands for systemd , so that's no surprise .

No idea if any initramfs system supports what you want, but I'd take care of this before OSes are started, like in the bootloader.

Create a bootloader entry that powers off the system, set that entry as default choice with a reasonable timeout .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#4 2024-06-03 08:29:49

frostschutz

Maksym wrote:

You'd probably need a custom hook either way. If there is an out of the box solution for such a timeout, I'm not aware of it.

Since systemd-based initcpio does not have any runtime hooks, you'd have to implement it as a systemd service, or run your timeout script via a custom udev rule. This script should check that /dev/mapper/<yourcryptdevice> does not exist before shutting down...

The Grub idea sounds very nice too, if you're already using Grub, and don't mind selecting a boot entry every time.

Rather than a menuentry you could probably also use a simple logic like `if sleep --verbose 60; halt; fi` which means Grub will count-down 60 seconds for you to hit the ESC, F4 or hold Shift key, otherwise halt the machine.

#5 2024-06-04 21:24:40

Maksym

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The sd in sd-encrypt stands for systemd , so that's no surprise .

No idea if any initramfs system supports what you want, but I'd take care of this before OSes are started, like in the bootloader.

Create a bootloader entry that powers off the system, set that entry as default choice with a reasonable timeout .

Do you have an example of the approach with a bootloader? If I do that, how will look regular boot when I turn on the laptop not by accident? Do you mean if I started my laptop not by accident, I should every time select right boot option manually?

PS: nice footer about systemd. I really like it smile

#6 2024-06-04 21:30:11

Maksym

frostschutz wrote:
Maksym wrote:

You'd probably need a custom hook either way. If there is an out of the box solution for such a timeout, I'm not aware of it.

Since systemd-based initcpio does not have any runtime hooks, you'd have to implement it as a systemd service, or run your timeout script via a custom udev rule. This script should check that /dev/mapper/<yourcryptdevice> does not exist before shutting down...

The Grub idea sounds very nice too, if you're already using Grub, and don't mind selecting a boot entry every time.

Rather than a menuentry you could probably also use a simple logic like `if sleep --verbose 60; halt; fi` which means Grub will count-down 60 seconds for you to hit the ESC, F4 or hold Shift key, otherwise halt the machine.

Thank you for the option, but I'm using pure EFI, and my boot record looks like (long uuid's partially replaced with ellipsis):

$ efibootmgr -u
Boot0004* Arch Linux LTS	HD(1,GPT,...67bb6f5a8c2c,0x800,0x80000)/\vmlinuz-linux-ltsrd.luks.options=timeout=10s luks.options=discard luks.name=...451795b819d1=root luks.name=...3c760ed7594c=swap root=/dev/mapper/root initrd=/initramfs-linux-lts.img resume=/dev/mapper/swap

#7 2024-06-04 22:44:10

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unifie … UEFI_Shell
https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/iss/pr … _auto.html
https://superuser.com/questions/1595233 … uefi-shell

if I started my laptop not by accident, I should every time select right boot option manually

when it started by accident (accidentally hit power button on my laptop)

How exactly does that happen?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/DOITOOL-Butt … B0CPZQ5GMY ?

#8 2024-06-04 23:51:57

Maksym

Thank you for comprehensive references for UEFI handling. I'll take a look.

My laptop can be turned on by just opening the lid, so that funny accessory wont help.

#9 2024-06-05 04:51:56

Larsson

No solution for your problem, but better then letting the battery die.
ctrl+alt+del

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#10 2024-06-05 07:00:44

seth

My laptop can be turned on by just opening the lid, so that funny accessory wont help.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/619 … _QL80_.jpg

More seriously (though some plastic clamp or https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61o … 0_ML2_.jpg might actually work), does the system actually boot or just wake out of hibernation? You can probably just disable the LID behavior.

#11 2024-06-08 16:07:28

Maksym

I found more graceful programmatic way, so topic can be marked as SOLVED.

I'm using systemd flavored initramfs. The idea is to replace emergency target by power off. For the emergency mode, I have separate initramfs image.

1. I've created a hook that replaces emergency by power-off target

>>> /etc/initcpio/install/emergency-shutdown
    #!/bin/bash

build() {
        add_symlink /usr/lib/systemd/system/emergency.target poweroff.target
        add_file /usr/lib/systemd/system/poweroff.target
        add_file /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-poweroff.service
    }

help() {
        cat <<HELPEOF
        The hook replaces emergency target by power-off.
        So, instead of emergency mode the system will be powered off.
        Intended to use with LUKS timeout settings. When no password
        provided for some amount of time, a device will be turned off.
    HELPEOF
    }
  2. I added this hook to the mkinitcpio config

>>>/etc/mkinitcpio.conf
    HOOKS=(systemd autodetect microcode modconf keyboard sd-vconsole block sd-encrypt emergency-shutdown filesystems fsck)

Do not forget to rebuild your initramfs images:

sudo mkinitcpio -P
  3. Finally, I updated EFI bootloader:

# efibootmgr --unicode --create \
        --label "Arch Linux LTS" \
        --disk "/dev/nvme0n1" \
        --part "1" \
        --loader "/vmlinuz-linux-lts" \
        "luks.options=discard,timeout=60s luks.name=451795b819d1=root luks.name=3c760ed7594c=swap root=/dev/mapper/root initrd=/initramfs-linux-lts.img resume=/dev/mapper/swap"

Important things here is "luks.options=timeout=60s". Pay attention on the unit specification. Manual says that default unit is seconds, but without "s" it wasn't work for me. Idk, it's out of scope anyway.

Works like a charm. Thank you all for yours suggestions and help. It helped me to thing in a right way.

#12 2024-06-08 19:02:02

seth

Mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer