You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-14 20:29:39

whittlers

how to use offline repos with the installer?

i followed the steps of https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Offline_installation

(well, not really, because i missed the manual installation), and it doesn't get to work. it installs with an error, but when i reboot, it says it misses "initrd"

ignoring that... is there some missing step for offline installation --along with-- archinstall script? i don't know what packages the "default profile" installs, so idk

sorry for bad english

#2 2024-06-14 21:25:54

seth

Re: how to use offline repos with the installer?

it installs with an error, but when i reboot, it says it misses "initrd"

That "error" would likely be rather relevant.

is there some missing step for offline installation --along with-- archinstall script?

The offline approach isn't relevant for how you install arch and I suspect that the critical  failure here is the "archinstall script" that apparently lead to some "error" that you then ignored.

#3 2024-06-14 23:11:45

cryptearth

First: archinstall is just a helper to speed up the base install according to the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide
regular arch install always require an active internet connection as pacstrap uses the online repos instead of using a local "offline" repo
if you want to install arch from a local offline repo the easier way would be a regular arch install but using a local repo server mirror
archinstall is meant as a tool to speed up a regular install for experienced users - it's not meant to substitute the regular online mirrors

#4 2024-06-15 16:40:07

whittlers

i tried twice,

1. once, disabling 'extra' and 'core', and just leaving the custom offline usb repo
2. leaving the three enabled

i think the first one failed, and i do not know if the second even worked, since i don't know the total sice of the pacstrap download

the reason i use the archinstall script is because... it's just easier

that apparently lead to some "error" that you then ignored.

the error was a lengthy random python error, not anything in particular i can use to my benefit, just 50 lines of  "python has failed, because of: pacstrap". i don't remember if there was something useful to show

i will keep painfully trying later on a vm or something

sorry for bad english

#5 2024-06-15 17:59:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

whittlers wrote:

... it's just easier

All evidence to the contrary.  What can "easier" even mean in this context?  How can it be easy if it doesn't succeed?  Does "easier" mean that it just fails faster?  That's hardly a virtue.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#6 2024-06-15 18:58:33

seth

anything in particular i can use to my benefit, just 50 lines of  "python has failed, because of

is a prevalent bug in the archinstall script that has absolutely nothign to do with the offline installation.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=296654
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=296428

#7 2024-06-15 20:01:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Can we hope that it will go unfixed and the archinstall script will be abandoned?

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#8 2024-06-15 20:07:34

seth

archinstall.lib.exceptions.SysCallError: ['/usr/bin/lsblk', '--json', '--bytes', '--output', '+name,path,pkname,size,log-sec,pttype,ptuuid,rota,tran,partn,partuuid,parttype,uuid,fstype,fsver,fsavail,fsuse%,type,mountpoint,mountpoints,fsroots', '/dev/nvme0n1p3'] exited with abnormal exit code [32]: lsblk: /dev/nvme0n1p3: not a block device
archinstall.lib.exceptions.DiskError: Failed to read disk "/dev/nvme0n1p3" with lsblk

It does unfortunately not seem to affect everyone, so that would only solve part of the problem.
The script itself isn't the problem - it's existence, or rather that of any profiles on the install iso is, because the official purpose is, afaiu, to provide a framework for local mass distribution which would require a custom iso or at least some local profile to begin with.

#9 2024-06-15 21:02:35

whittlers

i got the error likely because something missed in the pacstrap, because of disabling extra/core

i have never had this problem before, without the offline, so it *is* because of the offline thing

in defense of archinstall, i would remove users the possibility of *not* using it, since it's so much more efficient. automaticly booting to archinstall would be a great idea

if you want to keep arch niche, remove useful features like Void or Artix does, a crappy installer there..., ruining the repos there..., and voilà, less users

sorry for bad english

#10 2024-06-15 21:05:29

seth

i have never had this problem before, without the offline, so it *is* because of the offline thing

Nobody had, this is either because of a kernel regression or python 3.12 or both.

"It never rained before, so it's raining because I'm washing my car" is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism … _fallacies

Edit: well, the crappy installer was certainly already added.
Edit #2: and obviously you've now turned this into plain trolling.

Edit #3:
https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall/issues/1587
https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall/issues/1557

If it helps, running fdisk and deleting all partitions before running archinstall again did the trick.
Thanks to the developers for this script, it's really cool !

Not sure whether that post includes sarcasm or masochism.

Last edited by seth (2024-06-15 21:37:09)

#11 2024-06-15 22:22:19

whittlers

when someone accuses someone of a "fallacy", they commit the same "fallacious" arguments like saying i'm trolling

i asked in a optimistic way, that someone has tried what i have and gives me exact instructions on how to make it work

Nobody had, this is either because of a kernel regression or python 3.12 or both.

i don't understand how that's unrelated from the "offline repo install". it occurs because of the offline repo, OR because of the offline repo OR both the archinstall and the offline repo reciprocally,

so it can NOT only because the archinstall script (by elimination logic), and i haven't tried if it's only because of the "offline repo install", since i haven't tried not using the archinstall (not part of my archinstall defense)

sorry for bad english

#12 2024-06-16 06:15:11

seth

when someone accuses someone of a "fallacy"

Inferring causation from coincidence is a syllogistic fallacy , maybe read the wikipedia article.

i don't understand how that's unrelated from the "offline repo install"

Because the other users don't use that and the lsblk "error" error there has nothing to do with any repo or packages.

it can NOT only because the archinstall script (by elimination logic) … since i haven't tried not using the archinstall

lol

If you want this to go anywhere (which I doubt) post the actual archinstall error so we can tell you what fails and why that's not related to where any package is.
If you want to complain why arch isn't just ubuntu, install ubuntu and set a wallpaper that says "using arch, btw" - it'll serve your needs.
If you just want to troll, go away.

#13 2024-06-16 11:19:30

Lone_Wolf
Administrator

The wiki page about offline installation does not target archinstall users at all.
If you want it to have instructions for use with archinstall, start a discussion about those on the wiki .

An alternative approach could be to ask upstream to add an offline installtion mode to archinstall.

Moderator Note @whittlers
If you don't want this thread to be moved to TGN or deleted ,
make sure your next reply includes the "actual archinstall error" and refocuses this thread on solving an issue.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#14 2024-06-16 13:19:58

whittlers

If you want this to go anywhere (which I doubt) post the actual archinstall error so we can tell you what fails and why that's not related to where any package is.

i get your point, and will try (like i said), but it will most likely be a undescriptive python error again

If you want to complain why arch isn't just ubuntu, install ubuntu and set a wallpaper that says "using arch, btw" - it'll serve your needs.

if i replied more than once it's because of this random accusations, not me wanting the reply for fun

nothing will focus this thread to any solving rather than someone "solving" it (remember it's not a "why" thread, it's a "how")

sorry for bad english

#15 2024-06-16 13:24:28

seth

but it will most likely be a undescriptive python error again

How about you let use decide whether we can make any sense out of it?

You get one last chance from me to post the error, then you're on your own down theroad to nowhere.

Board footer