You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-10 06:35:53

among666

[SOLVED] Arch with wifi working on boot without NetworkManager

I have tried installing arch without NetworkManager with the arch install script but was never able to. I have never installed arch without the install script because the arch install guide is bad but I have installed gentoo and other manual install distros before. Is this possible without making a script?

Last edited by among666 (2024-06-16 10:05:59)

#2 2024-06-10 08:03:51

impossibleveins23

Re: [SOLVED] Arch with wifi working on boot without NetworkManager

among666 wrote:

Is this possible without making a script?

Yes.

Do you have any specific question regarding the installation process?

* Good formatted problem description will cause good and quick solution smile
* Please don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#3 2024-06-10 19:48:25

among666

impossibleveins23 wrote:
among666 wrote:

Yes.

Yes. How much shell scripting knowledge do I need to make this possible? I have none right now.

#4 2024-06-10 19:50:34

among666

impossibleveins23 wrote:
among666 wrote:

Yes.

Also is there a page that gives a script tempate on the wiki? I never found one and i searched for hours.

#5 2024-06-10 20:14:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

among666 wrote:

How much shell scripting knowledge do I need to make this possible? I have none right now.

Then you have more than enough.  There is no shell scripting in the installation process.

There is usage of the command line shell, and if you're uncomfortable with that, you really should look to another distro.  But even for this, you are given the commands to run.  The only prerequisite for installing arch properly is reading comprehension.

As for script templates, you mean for installing?  There is the archinstall script ... that's the only one that is supported (and that's relatively new and not recommended for new users).  Why would you want a script template for this?  How many machines do you intend to install on?

Last edited by Trilby (2024-06-10 20:16:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#6 2024-06-10 20:29:16

among666

Trilby wrote:
among666 wrote:

How much shell scripting knowledge do I need to make this possible? I have none right now.

Then you have more than enough.  There is no shell scripting in the installation process.

There is usage of the command line shell, and if you're uncomfortable with that, you really should look to another distro.  But even for this, you are given the commands to run.  The only prerequisite for installing arch properly is reading comprehension.

As for script templates, you mean for installing?  There is the archinstall script ... that's the only one that is supported (and that's relatively new and not recommended for new users).  Why would you want a script template for this?  How many machines do you intend to install on?

I was talking about a bash script template to allow an internet connection that can work upon startup without using NetworkManager.
I will not spend another hour trying to install arch manually. Its not my fault its the guides. I have installed gentoo and other manual install distros before with easy because their install guides are actually coherent and dont need me clicking links before the next step.

#7 2024-06-10 20:39:59

seth

I will not spend another hour trying to install arch manually. Its not my fault its the guides. I have installed gentoo and other manual install distros before

So install one of them again. Arch is clearly beneath you.

#8 2024-06-10 21:24:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

among666 wrote:

I was talking about a bash script template to allow an internet connection that can work upon startup without using NetworkManager.

Ah, okay.  No script is needed for that.  Just don't use network manager and enable the networking service you want to use.  I have never use NetworkManager ... it's just one of many options.  And most of these options are in the wiki that you clearly have not read.

among666 wrote:

I will not spend another hour trying to install arch manually.

Well then what the hell are you asking about here?  You want to install arch linux, but aside from flagrantly insulting the work this community has done to make the installation guide you also refuse to use it.

If you already have an installed system with network manager, just install the tools you want and remove network manager.  There's no scripting involved.  But your thread title suggests you want help INSTALLING the system.  Are you reinstalling or do you just want to use different networking software on an installed system?  Or do you just want to troll and tell us all how horrible we are - because that one you're doing a bang up job at.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-06-10 21:27:58)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#9 2024-06-10 21:43:07

among666

Trilby wrote:
among666 wrote:

Ah, okay.  No script is needed for that.  Just don't use network manager and enable the networking service you want to use.  I have never use NetworkManager ... it's just one of many options.  And most of these options are in the wiki that you clearly have not read.

among666 wrote:

I will not spend another hour trying to install arch manually.

Well then what the hell are you asking about here?  You want to install arch linux, but aside from flagrantly insulting the work this community has done to make the installation guide you also refuse to use it.

If you already have an installed system with network manager, just install the tools you want and remove network manager.  There's no scripting involved.  But your thread title suggests you want help INSTALLING the system.  Are you reinstalling or do you just want to use different networking software on an installed system?  Or do you just want to troll and tell us all how horrible we are - because that one you're doing a bang up job at.

I wanted to get wifi working on a fresh install without NetworkManager but it looks like thats not possible with the archinstall script so i will just ask for different networking software on my installed system. I know with a bash script you can do alot without installing many huge programs  that do everything for you.

#10 2024-06-10 22:06:05

seth

You do not need any kind of "script" to connect a to wifi AP using iwd and it works the exact same as on every other distro - "manual" (whatever that's supposed to be) or not.
Here's the wiki you obviously never read:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Instal … e_internet
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Iwd#iwctl

#11 2024-06-11 00:58:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Or if you don't like iwd, there's wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd / dhclient, or probably have a dozen other options.

You can change networking tools at any time, you can even have then all installed and switch between them (just avoid having more than one service managing your connection at the same time).

I also highly doubt the archinstall script only installs network manager without giving the user a choice (though I've never used it, never will, and frankly couldn't really care less what it does).

#12 2024-06-16 10:00:56

among666

I just got wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd working so ill mark the thread as solved

#13 2024-06-16 13:50:20

cryptearth

Trilby wrote:

I also highly doubt the archinstall script only installs network manager without giving the user a choice (though I've never used it, never will, and frankly couldn't really care less what it does).

To summarize: archinstall does a not so good job in help of speed up installing arch for users who are experienced with the regular guide by "hiding" the few lines one has to do behind not so good simple terminal menu.
Personal I had a hard time partioning as it uses blockcounts and as I'm not US but selected german it also failed to apply most of the required changes.
I don't say it's bad per se, it has its use case - but currently it has a few issues and is clearly not designed to be used by new users.
If one seeks for rapid deployment, maybe automated, then currently the script of Chris Titus does a better job.

Board footer