You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-23 13:58:15

Jones_Dow

Will Arch Linux run with Intel Arc Graphics Card ?

Hi guys, I am an Arch enthusiast for several years now and use for work and fun.

Now i am about to acquire a new laptop with an Arc Intel Graphics card and an Intel Core Ultra 5 processor. This is the model : https://www.xiaomihome.global/xiaomi-la … 24-laptop/

It is a Xiaomi Redmi pro book with very nice specifications.

I have read on the net that the  Arc Intel Graphics card might not support Arch and I am afraid that I might not be able to use Arch Linux on it. Yet, being able to install Archlinux is an absolute prerequisite for me to buy any laptop.

Are my concerns unfounded?

Last edited by Jones_Dow (2024-06-23 13:59:23)

#2 2024-06-24 09:42:59

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Will Arch Linux run with Intel Arc Graphics Card ?

It looks like that is an integrated graphics card, which processor model are you thinking of getting ?

Graphics rely on kernel modules and intel integrated graphics are supported in the kernel by intel devs .

Does 'the net' claim that those cards won't work on linux ?

What do you intend to run on the laptop : OpenGL , Vulkan, X , Wayland, OpenCL , Machine learning , llm  etc ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#3 2024-06-24 12:21:37

Jones_Dow

Many thanks for the reply and for the interest in the matter.

I am planning on getting the Intel Core Ultra 5  processor.  I am not into games and use the laptop mainly for work, office applications, video conferencing, some java or bash programming ... (my 13-year-old daughter uses it for watching youtube videos :-)  )

I am using Arch with X11 and generally with a window manager (dk).

The net ... i am referring to the site Hardware for Linux, which states that only Ubuntu is (at least officially) supported. That, i have also read on a query at the intel website for the Intel Arc graphics card.

But, one thing is "officially supported" and another is what works. 

There is also a thread on Reddit where Arch users discuss the successful use of the Intel Arc GPU with Arch Linux, given a few adjustments, like the driver (modesetting ? ).

I am aware that the matter for supporting a graphics card is that of a kernel. I suppose that sooner or later the Arch kernel will support the Intel Arc graphics card. Is this assumption correct?

#4 2024-06-24 12:43:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Jones_Dow wrote:

The net ... i am referring to the site Hardware for Linux, which states that only Ubuntu is (at least officially) supported.

No, that's not at all what that means.  That website indicates only one person with that system has submitted that it works with linux and they coincidentally are using Ubuntu.  Most systems on that website have at most one or two user reports or running linux, countless others have zero.  That is not good data to rely on.

Jones_Dow wrote:

Arch users discuss the successful use of the Intel Arc GPU with Arch Linux, given a few adjustments, like the driver (modesetting ? ).

Modesetting is not an adjustment - that's the driver provided by the linux kernel which is the default / recommended for a vast majority of intel hardware.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2024-06-24 12:57:54

cryptearth

Lone_Wolf wrote:

It looks like that is an integrated graphics card

Close - Intel Arc is intels try to get a food into dedicated gpu market: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Arc

#6 2024-06-25 00:29:51

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I'm aware of that but the description of the laptop says
Intel Arc integrated graphics

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#7 2024-06-25 05:27:59

cryptearth

well, with intels new namibg scheme this could mean pretry much anything from arc-based igpu to regular intrlHD-igpu + dedicated arc gpu
I can't tell - but a laptop in the 4-digit range from a smartphone brand with that little informations is something I wouldn't spent my money on
in the end it's likely that this system will somehow work - but I doubt it will be fun without proper drivers and by this is a hefty pricetag for a paperweight which due to software can hardly compete with a device in the realm of low 3-digit figure

#8 2024-06-25 10:14:49

Jones_Dow

Many thanks to all, these are all useful thoughts .... the price tag is definitely hefty and still does not include the import tax ... so maybe a different model or brand would be indicated. Any thoughts on this? Waiting for a Black Friday deal could also be an alternative :-)

#9 2024-06-25 10:32:21

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Xiaomi site has some more details :

1) Processor: Intel Core Ultra 5-125H + RAM: 32GB + Storage: 1TB SSD + Graphics card: Intel Arc (integrated).

specs from intel show q4 2023 as launch date.

does ubuntu support-intel-ultra-5 ? is about a lenovo laptop with the same processor .

If this is going to be your primary device, I'd look for something with more mature support.

#10 2024-06-25 10:56:14

cryptearth

for that price tag I would recommend a FrameWork device

#11 2024-06-25 12:43:32

vincentkanin

I'd look at a ThinkPad. You can get an E14 for roughly the same money but with an AMD Ryzen 7.

Board footer