You are not logged in.

#1 2002-08-27 19:18:58

mike

Endless loop

I have downloaded the ISO, burned it on a CD and booted the PC with it. The Lilo prompt apears and I press Enter to boot the CD. The usual boot messages appear and then it tries to check my SCSI adapter. It checks, fails, checks...after about 15 times I gave it up because every check takes about 2 minutes. Is there any way to fix this? Because I only use the adapter for my scanner which doesn't work in Linux anyway. I wouldn't mind if I had to disable it's support in Linux.  I don't really want to remove it just to use Arch. smile I never had such problems with another distribution so I have no idea what could be the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 2002-08-27 19:26:49

sarah31
Website

Re: Endless loop

my guess is that you may need to make up one of the floppy images or all three like you would for a net install. This way you can load the module for your scsi controller.

This is just a stab in the dark but you could make the floppy images in the meantime i guess and hopefully someone who knows more will fill the rest of the multitude of blanks in smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2002-08-27 19:51:08

apeiro
Daddy
Website

sarah31's solution might work for you.  The boot disk has a boot option called 'cd' which will attempt to boot the CD for you.

What kind of scsi adapter is it trying to probe?  Maybe you can disable it from the lilo boot line.

#4 2002-08-27 20:32:30

sarah31
Website

Well then could the process not go:

use the boot disk

then use the modules disk and install the scsi controller

then run the cd by fooling the root disc into using /dev/cdroms

or along those lines. I know that earlier versions of (gag) Libranet and Debian required this.

Or could one not tack some sort of append="hd?=scsi" to the lilo prompt when just booting from the cd?

Just more guesses

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2002-08-27 20:56:45

mike

@apeiro

I can't remember the module name if thats what you mean. How could I disable it with a Lilo option?

#6 2002-08-27 20:59:11

apeiro
Daddy
Website

It could depend on the adapter that the probe is hanging on.  This is a good start: http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

Board footer