You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-03 19:48:12

smithykerr

what groups do i add myself to for best gaming performance on arch?

i installed arch linux and did my best to set everything up for gaming, but after a while i noticed that i wasn't added to the gamemode group which wasn't allowing gamemode to work while i was gaming.
i am wondering if there is any other groups i should add myself to in order to avoid something like this in the future? i am fairly new to linux i'm still learning so excuse my noobyness.

#2 2024-07-03 20:15:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: what groups do i add myself to for best gaming performance on arch?

None, unless otherwise indicated with sane reasoning. You used to have specific groups for HW access in the earlier times, nowadays your login session will generally provide the necessary HW access to your active login user so you don't need to explicitly add yourself to any groups. Doing so haphazardly could open you up to security issues.

#3 2024-07-04 01:19:21

smithykerr

great thank you that's what i was worried about, i didn't want anything having permissions that shouldn't have it.

#4 2024-07-04 08:59:55

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Try searching the arch wiki next time .

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Gamemode wrote:

Add yourself to the gamemode user group. Without it, the gamemode user daemon will not have rights to change CPU governor or the niceness of processes.

If you're satisifed with the answers, please prepend {Solved] to the thread title
(edit first post, you may have to shorten the title)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

Board footer