You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-09 19:19:03

Gurgur

[SOLVED] No option to boot in the boot menu after installing Arch

Hi,

I've followed steps in the Arch Installation Guide, and then when reaching the step to install a bootloader, I chose to install GRUB.

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and then `exit`, `umount` and `reboot`.

However, when my computer reboots, there is no boot entry (I have no other system installed either), and I therefore cannot boot into my Archlinux I just installed.

I've noticed that the entry first doesn't appear in `efibootmgr`, but then appear in `efibootmgr -c` and then appear in `efibootmgr`, until the next reboot...

Would anyone be able to help me with my install?

Thanks,
Gurvan

Last edited by Gurgur (2024-07-09 20:00:45)

#2 2024-07-09 19:35:48

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] No option to boot in the boot menu after installing Arch

What's your mainboard? I'm assuming MSI or so, they are sadly known for not allowing distinct UEFI entries. If they do, check in your UEFI options whether there's an option to manually add the esp/EFI/GRUB/grubx64.efi file. If you don't find anything, Mount all your partitions, arch-chroot into your system and rerun the grub-install command but add --removable as an additional parameter.

#3 2024-07-09 20:00:35

Gurgur

Through continuous searching, I found out I can place it in the default USB folder (ie using `--removable`).

It seemed to work as the boot entry showed up and I'm now in Archlinux!

Thanks!

#4 2024-07-09 20:08:05

cryptearth

be aware: you may found a way around the issue by rely on some fallback default - but this doesn't solve the issue

so we got so far that for some reason the entry is not saved persistently
this can be a wide range of issues from simply activated write protection (are you required to enter a password when you enter the bios?) over just a bad implementation or bug (look for bios updates) to some serious low-level issue or even hardware damage

so please respond with hardware details
if this is a new system may consider contacting support for a possible RMA

#5 2024-07-09 20:18:20

V1del
Forum Moderator

Sadly for some it's actually normal, as long as Windows boots, which puts it's loader there as well, some vendors don't care about implementing their UEFI properly. ..

#6 2024-07-09 21:53:07

cryptearth

It actually annoys me that microsoft thinks windows is the only OS on a drive so they can claim that - which ooften leads to it show up twice: one is the direct option to bootmgrfw (or however that's spelled) and the other is the fallback
what's even more annoying is that no matter how often you kill it from both the fallback and the uefi (as when you use other boot managers like refind or grub) it keeps adding itself back at every single boot
and although EFI was initially driven by intel quite a lot of bloat like this or secureboot is just stupid microsoft marketing bullshit so oems can slap this useless "verified for windows" on thier devices
yet another reason I hope risc-v will get strong at least as far as for it to become a reasonable competitor

#7 2024-07-09 21:57:35

Gurgur

I haven't got the detailed hardware info rn because that computer is turned off, but it's a Samsung Galaxy Book 4.
It initially shipped with Windows which worked well (which I completely erased).

I've found another thread on a forum about someone having the same issue with a Galaxy Book 3, and they ended up using the same solution which was the only working thing...

#8 2024-07-10 05:56:32

cryptearth

Gurgur wrote:

it's a Samsung Galaxy Book 4

well THAT's a very imporant information (sigh - why people using mobile platforms just not get it to mention it in the first line)
so here we have the likely issue: the uefi is either poorly/badly implemented - or on purpose designed that way ... with my bet is on the latter one
I guess we can tinker with that device forever just to figure out: it doesn't behave as it should
in this very case looking into how to chain linux from windows bootmgr

Board footer