You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-12 10:54:05

itarill

btrfs file system size is not changed after partition realign

I have multiple questions, all related, but the first one corresponds most to the topic.

1) I used to have a 195 GB partition on which my @/, @home and other subvolumes reside. I also had an ext4 partition on the same drive. Today I deleted the ext4 partition and resized the btrfs one, but in btrfs assistant the filesystem size is still displayed as 195 GB. Am I doing something wrong?
2) I had 140 GB occupied on this partition. I used to have a 60 GB pacman cache. I used the paccache script and it freed 50 GB space. This is in accordance with Filelight. And at the end of the day, I now have 130 GB occupied (trash cleaned etc.). Am I missing something? Is this even possible?
3) I have a 8 GB swap partition before my btrfs partition, which I don't use anymore (I use Zram). If I was to delete this partition and resize my root one to occupy the freed space (via a gdisk bootable device, for instance), will my partition not become unbootable? I had several bad experiences like that, and so I'm afraid of moving the beginning of a partition as if it was fire.

Thanks.

Last edited by itarill (2024-07-12 10:56:34)

#2 2024-07-12 11:14:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: btrfs file system size is not changed after partition realign

No idea what "btrfs assistant" is but to expand the filesystem use

# btrfs filesystem resize max /

For point 2 please share the output of

btrfs filesystem df -h /

In respect of the swap it might be best to just add the partition to your extant btrfs filesystem, as outlined here. Moving partitions is always risky and it takes ages.

"The nation-state domesticates the society in the name of capitalism and alienates the community from its natural foundations."
Democratic Confederalism, Abdullah Öcalan.

#3 2024-07-14 10:06:39

itarill

Re: btrfs file system size is not changed after partition realign

The file system was expanded successfully, thanks to

btrfs filesystem resize max / 

Thanks!

$ sudo btrfs filesystem df -h /
Data, single: total=130.00GiB, used=128.84GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=3.00GiB, used=2.72GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=323.77MiB, used=0.00B

I don't think there's anything to see here. No idea how the pacman cache clearing happened, though.

With respect to adding the partition to the btrfs volume before this partition (or moving there), I figured it's easier to move my rescue partition to the place of the old swap, and extend the partition to the space of the former rescue.

Last edited by itarill (2024-07-14 10:08:03)

Board footer