You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-11 15:56:31

sebinho

Samsung laptop not booting: " "all boot options are tried press f4..."

Hello,
I am trying to do a fresh Arch Linux install on a Samsung laptop that originally came with Windows installed. I am following the Arch Linux installation instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/installation_guide . I formatted the disk with EFI system, Linux Swap and Linux Filesystem partitions. No errors whatsoever with the installation, however when I reboot, the screen shows the following:

"all boot options are tried press f4 key to recover with factory image". I've tried all sorts of setting in the BIOS/UEFI, but nothing works.

The filesystem on the SD card was mounted as follows:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
mount --mkdir /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

The generated fstab file looks fine with entries for the root partition (mount point /), boot (/boot) and swap - in that order.

I chose the GRUB boot loader and ran:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I've done this numerous times now with some variations but the result is always the same.

Googling for "all boot options are tried press f4...", some solutions suggest modifications to the BIOS/UEFI (I've tried all of them) and others suggest that it is a motherboard battery problem (the UEFI date and time is OK so it can't be that). I can't help thinking that the computer is searching for the ancient windows bootloader, but really I'm at a loss.

Help, please.

#2 2024-07-11 16:00:50

cryptearth

Re: Samsung laptop not booting: " "all boot options are tried press f4..."

there's a similar topic about such issues
could be the uefi implementation relies on the fallback path <esp>\EFI\BOOTX64.efi
for grub try this:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --no-nvram --removable

#3 2024-07-11 16:35:11

sebinho

cryptearth wrote:

there's a similar topic about such issues
could be the uefi implementation relies on the fallback path <esp>\EFI\BOOTX64.efi
for grub try this:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --no-nvram --removable

Thank you very much, it worked!

#4 2024-07-12 17:13:23

cryptearth

as for your SSH topic: what was the issue and why you deleted it? why not - in the spirit of open source - share the error and solution?

#5 2024-07-12 20:31:43

sebinho

cryptearth wrote:

as for your SSH topic: what was the issue and why you deleted it? why not - in the spirit of open source - share the error and solution?

Good point. It was actually a stupid oversight on my part, so there was no real problem to be solved. I should have explained that.

Board footer