You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-24 13:56:17

greblus
Website

lirc doesn't work (Lifeview FlyVideo 98FM LR50) SOLVED

Hi.  (Solution below).

I've a problem with lirc. My card used to work with exactly the same configuration for years (first on Slack, then Ubuntu).

That's what I've done (btw it's my first day with Arch, and I'm impressed):

cp /usr/share/lirc/remotes/life-view/lircd.conf.flyvideo /etc/lircd.conf

[root@greblushq greblus]# uname -r
2.6.19-ARCH

[root@greblushq greblus]# pacman -Q | grep lirc
lirc 0.8.0.20061009-2
lirc-utils 0.8.0.20061009-2

i'm loading the bttv module this way:

modprobe bttv card=56 radio=1 pll=1

(I've added bttv lirc_dev lirc_gpio to the rc.conf MODULES  and lircd to DAEMONS, also options bttv card=56 radio=1 pll=1 went to /etc/modprobe.conf, but doing this manually should be the same)

then
modprobe lirc_dev
modprobe lirc_gpio

[root@greblushq greblus]# /etc/rc.d/lircd start
:: Starting LIRC Daemon                                      [DONE]

now, when i start irexec (as a normal user or root) and then  irw, it's starting, but irw doesn't show buttons i press and it's... not working.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of lifevideo among the drivers supported by lircd (lircd --drivers=help).

I was trying to recompile it with configure --with-driver=flyvideo and lirc builds fine, but I'm unable to build lirc-utils (no linux.h header). What's strange they're compiled --with-driver=all so flyvideo should be compiled-in.

What should I do? Were there any changes I'm simply not aware of, or I'm doing something wrong?

---SOLVED---

Finally I have it working.

Something must have changed in the recent kernels. My card isn't automatically detected when loading bttv module (and never was), so I was loading the module as above, with card=56 modprobe option. It was working, but recently (2.6.19) mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 showed that there was nothing going on when buttons were pressed.

I started fiddling with different card ids and with card=35 mode2 outputed some keycodes. That was it.

All I had to do, was to generate a new lircd.conf using irrecord. Now it works even better than before (i can press buttons when the remote is in an arbitrary position).

lspci says it's 01:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11), the card is a flyvideo 98 with fm tuner.

Now i've a perfectly working Arch installation (lirc was the last thing missing from my previous distro).

Automatically generated lircd.conf file:

begin remote

name  flyvideo
  bits            8
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one             0     0
  zero            0     0
  gap          199963
  toggle_bit      0

begin codes
          1                        0x18
          2                        0x04
          3                        0x14
          4                        0x1C
          5                        0x02
          6                        0x12
          7                        0x1A
          8                        0x06
          9                        0x16
          0                        0x1E
          POWER                    0x00
          FULL_SCREEN              0x08
          CHAN_PLUS                0x09
          CHAN_MINUS               0x19
          SQUARE                   0x17
          MUTE                     0x1B
          MOUSE_MODE               0x10
          ENTER                    0x01
          DOWN                     0x13
          UP                       0x0E
          ESC                      0x0B
          RETURN                   0x03
          VOL_PLUS                 0x05
          VOL_MINUS                0x1D
          MENU                     0x0C
          RIGHT                    0x15
          INC                      0x0A
          DEC                      0x0D
      end codes

end remote

#2 2006-12-24 14:29:52

clarence

Re: lirc doesn't work (Lifeview FlyVideo 98FM LR50) SOLVED

Have you edited /etc/conf.d/lircd ?

fck art, lets dance.

#3 2006-12-24 15:11:30

greblus
Website

clarence wrote:

Have you edited /etc/conf.d/lircd ?

Yes, forgot to mention it.

I've tried, but finally left it as it was at the beginning:

LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
LIRC_DRIVER=""
LIRC_EXTRAOPTS=""
LIRC_CONFIGFILE=""

I assume that Lircd can find /etc/lircd.conf (otherwise it doesn't start), i cannot specify the driver flyvideo as it's not supported and possibly this is the problem.

#4 2006-12-25 10:42:03

mouse256

greblus wrote:

I was trying to recompile it with configure --with-driver=flyvideo and lirc builds fine, but I'm unable to build lirc-utils (no linux.h header). What's strange they're compiled --with-driver=all so flyvideo should be compiled-in.

Did you try to build it directly from the source from the lirc site? or did you recompile it with abs? abs should normally not give any problem.
If you don't know how to rebuild with abs, I suggest you really should look at it, it's a great system. I think you can find enough information on the wiki, and otherwise just ask :-)
oh btw: if you do need some modification to the PKGBUILD for your driver to work, I recommend srcpac to make updates easy.

#5 2006-12-25 12:15:42

greblus
Website

Did you try to build it directly from the source from the lirc site? or did you recompile it with abs? abs should normally not give any problem.
[...]
I recommend srcpac to make updates easy.

This is really neat smile.

Here's what I've done:

1. first, to be absolutely sure i've what i need I ran abs to get the build system files.
2. installed srcpac, then added:

conf_lirc=('#--with-driver=all#--with-driver=flyvideo#')
conf_lircXutils=('#--with-driver=all#--with-driver=flyvideo#')

to the srcpac.conf, srcpac -So shows that the substitutions are correct.

srcpac -Sb lirc went fine, but lirc-utils failed:

/var/abs/extra/system/lirc-utils/src/lirc/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.c:35:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [/var/abs/extra/system/lirc-utils/src/lirc/drivers/lirc_dev/lirc_dev.o] Error 1

I found on Google that linux/config.h should be replaced by linux/autoconf.h, after this change it builds, but still lircd --driver=help shows only the default driver (no flyvideo) and it doesn't work.

#6 2006-12-26 09:58:13

mouse256

this normally should work. I had the same problem with the ati fglrx drivers and kernel 2.6.19 too, but there was already a patch for it available in abs, so actually no problem there.
So I don't understand how the devs are able to rebuild lirc in that case, maybe some dev is reading this? or you maybe should file a bug report for it...
EDIT: WAAIT a minute: the patch is there: http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcv … ag=CURRENT
it's only there for lirc, not for lirc utils, but it seems you need to patch lirc-utils too, it seems lirc-utils wasn't rebuild with kernel 2.6.19, maybe it still needs a bugreport big_smile

#7 2006-12-26 10:32:40

greblus
Website

mouse256 wrote:

EDIT: WAAIT a minute: the patch is there: http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcv … ag=CURRENT

Yeah, i've seen it when I was reading lirc build script.
BTW, removing linux/config.h results in strange compiler messages, but it compiles, unfortunately even when replacing it with linux/autoconf.h it doesn't work.

I've also compiled lirc using cvs sources of yesterday, and it still doesn't work. Either it's a lirc problem (I've reported it on lirc-list) or it's something wrong with my setup, which should be fine, as I had it working last week on Ubuntu :>

#8 2006-12-26 10:50:02

dienadel

I don't know why, but since lirc changed from lirc-pctv to actual one, it has been imposible for me to make it working. In fact, i've abandoned the idea.

This post is about the last try:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … highlight=

#9 2006-12-30 08:54:24

greblus
Website

I've managed to compile lirc-0.8.0 (as i wrote i had it working on Dapper) and it's the same.

I don't think it's related to the Arch kernel, but to be absolutely sure i'll check with the vanilla kernel too...

Unfortunately too much is going on on the 2.6 kernel front and it's hard to guess what's wrong.

#10 2006-12-30 09:52:59

mouse256

greblus wrote:

I've managed to compile lirc-0.8.0 (as i wrote i had it working on Dapper) and it's the same.

That's funny, I'm now on a computer running ubuntu dapper (I'm at home for the moment, my arch pc is on the place where I study) and I can't get lirc running here. On arch I had no problems :-)

#11 2006-12-30 10:20:43

greblus
Website

That's funny, I'm now on a computer running ubuntu dapper (I'm at home for the moment, my arch pc is on the place where I study) and I can't get lirc running here. On arch I had no problems :-)

Dapper's lirc package is broken :> Someone made a working package but somehow they preferred a broken one from Debian instead. It's still there, in the revu's archives:

http://revu.tauware.de/details.py?upid=2344

Board footer