You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-20 00:29:05

galegovski
Website

Questions and suggestions about the gtkglext (AUR) package

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I have 3 years of experience with this linux distro. Recently when updating the AUR packages I had a question.

A piece of software that I installed in the AUR depends on another AUR package called gtkglext. However, when I went to check the gtkglext package in the AUR I realized that it had been created on the same day as the update.

I was afraid and didn't update, I looked at the PKGBUILD and didn't find anything suspicious. However, I don't know why it's asking me to update an existing package to one created on the same day.

I haven't updated yet out of fear.

Is there a safer way of checking?
Couldn't the official Arch Linux team maintain this essential package?

Thanks for your attention!

“I don't want to believe. I want to know.”
― Carl Sagan

#2 2024-07-20 00:52:25

twelveeighty

Re: Questions and suggestions about the gtkglext (AUR) package

In doubt, just post a message on the AUR to the maintainer(s) about your concern. In general, reviewing the PKGBUILD is your best/only option for safety.

As for getting a package adopted, this is the Wiki explanation (emphasis mine): "The AUR community has the ability to vote for packages in the AUR. If a package becomes popular enough — provided it has a compatible license and good packaging technique — it may be entered into the extra repository". It's up to the devs to decide whether or not they want to add another package to their workload.

#3 2024-07-20 03:14:26

galegovski
Website

twelveeighty wrote:

In doubt, just post a message on the AUR to the maintainer(s) about your concern. In general, reviewing the PKGBUILD is your best/only option for safety.

As for getting a package adopted, this is the Wiki explanation (emphasis mine): "The AUR community has the ability to vote for packages in the AUR. If a package becomes popular enough — provided it has a compatible license and good packaging technique — it may be entered into the extra repository". It's up to the devs to decide whether or not they want to add another package to their workload.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll vote, and I'll ask the questions in the AUR.

― Carl Sagan

#4 2024-07-20 07:09:03

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2024-07-20 10:21:55

gromit
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

The package was recently removed from the official repos, hence I guess this is why it was uploaded by somebody to the AUR: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … 71b9c10239

Usually this is done by the Package Maintainer for the official repository itself (via "pkgctl aur drop-from-repo"), but in this case it was apparently just dropped tongue

#6 2024-07-20 17:40:33

galegovski
Website

gromit wrote:

The package was recently removed from the official repos, hence I guess this is why it was uploaded by somebody to the AUR: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … 71b9c10239

Usually this is done by the Package Maintainer for the official repository itself (via "pkgctl aur drop-from-repo"), but in this case it was apparently just dropped tongue

Thanks for the explanation! It's always good to learn a bit more about Arch Linux.

― Carl Sagan

Board footer