You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-25 11:19:51

clupus

KDE/Plasma's DISPLAY gets changed in VNC when logged in as local user

Hello.

I have a machine that is typically used as a remote controlled machine using VNC. I have a TigerVNC set up such that upon boot a KDE/Plasma session is started on (VNC) port/display :10. This works so far. I can use the machine from within the network.

Now, I am typically using it using VNC. I can start a graphical process there and continue working on it from another machine. From time to time, I am using my KVM switch to attach mouse, keyboard and monitor to the machine. Then, I am able to log in locally using e.g. xfce. The local session is mainly used as a "dumb display" of the VNC server on localhost.

Now, the problem is that once I do this, I cannot start new windows in the VNC anymore using KDE's start menu or double clicks in dolphin. The programs are started but redirected to display :0 (where ifce is running). As long as I sit in front of the machine, this is no problem. However, I might be connected from a remote machine and then I cannot access the window anymore.

Interesting enough, if I open the program using the console inside the VNC, the corresponding program is started in the window :10 aka the VNC session.

My personal guess: The plasma window manager somehow detected that a new display is attached and sets the "default display" to :0 (using DBUS?). Even if I quit the xfce session, this is still the case, killing the programs as no X11 server is listening/accepting the connections. When using the console, I use the default settings as given in the env variables and start the programs still in :10.

Do you have an idea on how to either prevent this issue at all or at least make plasma aware that the correct display was :10 ?

Thank you
Christian

Board footer