You are not logged in.

#7851 2024-07-20 14:23:39

m4a1j9

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Greetings!

Glad to join this great community. Just switch from uwuntu to Arch and really enjoy it.

See you around

#7852 2024-07-21 15:04:20

Quollveth

Hello!
Switched from mint earlier this week.
Glad to be here smile

#7853 2024-07-21 18:56:17

DocBretti

Hello @all,

i'm new to arch but not arch based distros. But i always wanted to install and successful use pure arch. Now i can proudly say i use arch, btw big_smile.
Atm i'm fine with arch plasma, most of my games are running, only thing i changed was adding the chaotic aur.
I'm impressed with the performance and the small number of packages that come preinstalled, even though i installed a complete de alongside arch. Took me some time to get everything up and running (Bluetooth connection, connecting my android phone via usb) but there are enough ressources online to find help.
I suppose i'll stay here a while although i'd like to test the new nobara 40 but this has to wait now.

Greetings from germany. :-)

#7854 2024-07-22 16:13:10

jaydee

Hello everyone!
I've been consuming this forum's posts quite a lot recently and it was about time I posted my own!
Been loving the open source community for a long time now (though sometimes it drives me nuts) .
Looking forward to learn about Arch a lot!
See you on the forums! big_smile

Last edited by jaydee (2024-07-22 16:13:37)

Long live open source.

#7855 2024-07-23 04:41:09

Gingerninja

Hey everyone,
I just switched to Arch from Windows & Ubuntu as my main & daily driver.

Cheers!

#7856 2024-07-23 09:11:41

ad_action

Hi everyone ...

i am aman dhurwe from india , i am learning c++ and game devlopment .

last year i switched to arch linux because windows is to bloated and i also installed a pirated software to learn but ended up installing a malware. i lost my email and  accounts linked with that email . so then i uninstalled windows and installed arch linux ,

after 8 months i am loving this freedom ,

i didnt lost much information , i didnt existed in internet until i turned 18 because of boarding school where electronic devices are banned , i learned about computers in computer lab and books from library , now i am starting a new life with arch linux . i hope this will teach me a lot

thank you guys smile

jai shree ram

#7857 2024-07-24 00:11:47

bekos_res

Hello everyone!!! This is a message to you, the curious one who is thinking of ditching his old distro or even Windows in favour of Arch.

I've been using Arch for almost a month now as my daily driver and I have only good things to say. I installed Arch for the first time some months ago, and I could not make it work, even with archinstall. Now, after giving it a try again, and this time doing it the proper way (no archinstall), I have managed to do what many YouTube GNU/Linux evangelists called stupid and challenging beyond any Linux noob's skills: I have installed Arch and I have made it perfect for my daily-driving needs.
- I have Bluetooth and WiFi working perfectly
- I have a slick Window Manager (I use Hyprland btw)
- I have an interchangeable keyboard layout (English US, Greek GR)
- I have VSCode running perfectly (and with the Vim extension so that one day I fully migrate to NeoVim)
- I can run whatever language I want simply by running at most two commands (learning COBOL rn)
- I can play Minecraft, use Discord, Telegram
- I can edit and create documents with LibreOffice and browse the web seamlessly with LibreWolf
- I can zip and unzip files with but one command
- and many, Many, MANY more that I am too bored to list!!!

Now, has this been a smooth ride? No. Freakity fabbity frisk no. About half of the things I listed above had me going around learning about GNU/Linux on the web whenever there was a problem. Bluetooth taught me about rfkill. Hyprland and NeoVim taught me about config files. Discord and Telegram taught me to use paru (an AUR helper, similar to yay) to update all my programmes and packages at once, simply by typing the four letters "paru". I still am on the learning curve, and it shows. I still have these tasks on my list, but with some work I am sure they will be easily resolved (I am just too lazy so I'm taking my time xD):
- Use laptop Fn keys to change monitor brightness and speaker volume.
- Make Blueman/Pipeplumber accept and execute my headphones' hands-free functionality
- Find (or build) a way to type Greek polytonic (I am an Ancientgreekaboo + I like using it aesthetically)
- Actually sit down to use it for learning how to code (again, learning COBOL and some Bash)

Soon, I will be getting a new laptop (ThinkPad T480, yes, now I am in the cult fully) and Arch will be the first thing I will do to it in order to make it truly my own (right before uninstalling Windows lol). There are many problems I have faced using Arch, but I can actually fix them with a single search online. I never had this in Windows. Problems there are either nonexistent or borderline a day's worth of questing to solve them. I also spent some time trying out Kubuntu in order to get past my fear of using GNU/Linux. There too I had problems, but there always seemed to be a solution from the ArchWiki to exactly what I needed, while I was fumbling about in Ubuntu forums trying to make sense of it all. At some point I just thought to myself, "If I am going to be using the terminal all the time and making changes everywhere, why am I not just using something like Arch that's built around the idea of constant, yet manageable, improvement?". So, I just tried it, and it has been more than worth it so far.

TL;DR so far: If you are thinking about joining the GNU/Linux world, I would highly recommend Arch. There is pain, but it is worth considering all the new capabilities and knowledge you will gain from using Arch.

PS: No, you are not too stupid for it. You just do not know how to use it yet. Give it a month. I am willing to bet I'll be seeing you here, on this thread, saying hello and yapping like a child, just like me. All you have to do it put some effort in. And you can do it too. After all, you are *here*, aren't you? You already know about Arch and possibly even consider it as an option for your OS. You already are different from 99% of PC users by showing any amount of interest.

That's all I'll yap about here. And I don't know if I've made it clear yet, but I use Arch, btw.

Last edited by bekos_res (2024-07-26 19:23:49)

ὁ τολμῶν νικᾶ

#7858 2024-07-24 17:27:57

Xylerfox

Hello!

I'm brand new to Arch Linux, but so far, I've been enjoying every moment of it.

I currently have Arch installed in a Virtual Machine. I had tried to install it to my main machine, but there was some problems happening at the time, and I couldn't afford the time to troubleshoot properly. With the help of my VM, I finally figured out what my issues were.

I am endeavoring to finally take the Linux Plunge and Dual Boot my main PC (as game devs are still stuck on Windows), but will make Arch my OS of choice once I do.
Currently using KDE Plasma X11 version as my DE. Tried GNOME and XFCE, but found Plasma the best for myself.

Arch is fun. It invigorates my love of tinkering with my PC again. And the way Windows is heading... yeah, I'll take the plunge into Linux with Arch.

I'm happy to be a part of the Arch Forums, smile

#7859 2024-07-26 03:54:47

derekagraham78

I'm back on Arch officially after a while on NixOS for a year.

#7860 2024-07-29 04:20:52

milanpal

hello everyone just installed arch using arch manual using  hyprland

#7861 2024-07-29 13:59:37

Flureo

Hello

#7862 2024-08-01 00:10:13

scifitherapy

Been on Arch for a bit but decided to stop lurking and join the community.  A big thanks to everyone who works on Arch in any capacity.

Arch Gaming: AMD 5700X3D, Radeon 6900XT, Optane P1600X, 4TB SSD, 32GB RAM
Arch Smart TV: Intel N100, 12GB RAM
Arch Laptop: i7-7820HQ, 16GB RAM
TrueNAS + Jellyfin: AMD 5950X, 128GB ECC, 4x P1600X Optane, 2x SN850X 2TB (L2ARC), 12x 16TB HDD, Arc A380

#7863 2024-08-03 21:45:59

Aviral

Hello

#7864 2024-08-05 15:51:40

hoppyhopps

Hello all! Been using Arch for a little while now but figured it's about time to step in and say hello, especially when just lurking the forums has helped in so many ways.

#7865 2024-08-07 12:20:32

die4arch

So i been flirting with linux for a few years but only on bootable USB ,  VM , kali and home Parrot OS and alot of tails.
Since LLM became a "THING" i been having WSL2 problems with nvidia-smi command segmented errors wich i need cuda.
After 6 hours working with a LLM it had me do a stupid amount of steps and commands. In the end not 1 LLM could help me.

It was a few other things too factored in with it was such a pain to get things working but mostly i made up my mind because of security. I am very serious about my security and windows just gobbles you up , especially new or young user who dont know that when you install windows it has a stupendous amount of default settings that straight up spy on you if you dont change like 30 settings lol and client side scanning! Windows is gonna get real bad mesa thinks.

I knew linux was the answer to everything pretty much. So i did days upon days of reaserch and everybody pretty much says the same thing. "New linux users with not very much cli experience , people migrating from windows , need to go too "Mint" "Ubuntu" "MX" and the winner was "POP! OS"

I didnt even try it cause i did almost 40 hours of reasearch and POP is good for multimedia , gamers , no snap, secure and good to dip your toes for new linux users. I wiped my computer after i had the usb with POP and i was really liking my first few days , it had tons of free apps , it was still so so difficult but i know how to learn things by trial and error and looking up my problems. I was impressed with the gnome extensions and the expierience of new phones pc tv ect i love especially totally newbed out.

After a week i started hating POP , the store is garbage and i dont talk smack unless its the truth and a store that freezes your OS and takes up 30% of your ram as a default process that is running even when you are not in the app , its called elementary something. Then i hated the customization on it especially the janky windows screenwith minimizing not default and just a mess for me to use.
So i said hmmmm i should go to mint or ubuntu , i tried mint in the VM and i didnt like it at all!  cause im not trying to use winux lol. Ii damn well want to be stumped and at a loss what to do cause thats how you learn!

So i asked the LLM why people even use arch if its just linux at the core , basically i have no idea.  It said Arch is cutting edge and first to get updates and can install pretty much anything , because its updated so much it could break things though.  It said its very raw and customizable and light weight , plus the community is a serious one.
Its very hard for first time users, the LLM highly reccomended i use Manjaro  and i did just that i put Manjaro on my USB and for some reason i did a arch iso as well.

So just for the meh whatever i fired up VM first and started trying arch and  I had too look up tons of stuff even to install it , even more how to update and search for ways to use pacman and the cli for everything and i slagged through it and any help with AI i always ask it to explain  a full summary of each command and what it does and why it works or i learn zero pretty much.

So a week in and OMG!! this OS is freaking the most amazing expierience on any platform or device i have ever had! The sheer amount of customization is shocking and the ease of use of tools like yay and the PKG system "wich is also jailbroken PS3 file format" and the crazy amount of stuff on AUR is next level.
The way you can use almost any distro package system even though it defeats the purpose is still pretty sick.

Im still stuck on many things but i Know 100% i will never leave Arch. There is literally no point. I dont understand why people wouldnt all use this. There is like no cons i can find other then sitting for hours on a simple command thats just not working but thats the whole part of linux. It just takes alot of reading and using a notepad to  save commands and jot down reminders and what not.  I might even try manjaro & Edeavour

Im verry happy with this and i would like to thank he people who must do a savage amount time and effort making it better, on their own time too. Especially the fact that it seems like no compromises are made , that Arch operates exactly how its supposed too. Just happy and wanted to thank the Arch Gods lol.

#7866 2024-08-08 07:50:06

sharkscott

Former Chromebook HP 14"screen
CPU: Intel Celeron N4120 (4) @ 2.600
GPU: Intel Gemini Lake UHD Graphics 
Memory: 16G
HD: 120G

I have been running Linux on one distro for twenty years now and I am got to take a stab at Arch here and see how it goes

Wish me luck. :-)

#7867 2024-08-08 11:48:26

nealfun

it is even easier to self install archlinux with the installer now.

"You're never too old to turn your dreams into reality."

#7868 2024-08-09 21:32:15

hdmj

Been using Arch for half a decade, and almost 4 since forum registration, but I haven't posted anything until now.

I guess that's nothing to be shamed about - I usually come here in search for solutions, and there's always something, I've never felt the need to post. This is such a valuable resource.

Now I'm grinding over bug, so I figured it would be great to introduce myself here before asking for help on other topic smile

Anyway, this is a great community and I'm really glad it exists.

#7869 2024-08-09 22:25:53

Za Fyuri

Hi All, I thought would introduce myself and explain how I ended up here. I've always been fascinated with Linux in general since I was young. At that time I didn't properly understand it until 2 years ago when I had opportunity to jump into Linux after my Windows 11 failed in annoying way. I jumped to linux and since then have not wanted to leave. I enjoy using Arch and recently decided to use it on my laptop. I will soon be installing it on my main machine because of how I enjoy it. Thank you in advance for answering any stupid questions I may have.

#7870 2024-08-10 09:00:09

D12w

hi, I'm relatively new to Arch and linux itself. I have a question when installing through pacstrap, which aur is used? (if you install pacstrap, you can even download chromium, which is not available in pacman)

#7871 2024-08-10 13:31:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

D12w wrote:

when installing through pacstrap, which aur is used?

Which?? There is only one AUR.  But tha't not relevant here as pacstrap does not install anything from the AUR.  It's literally just a wrapper script that runs pacman to install the packages.

D12w wrote:

you can even download chromium, which is not available in pacman

Chromium is in [extra] and can be installed with pacman, and thus also with pacstrap.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#7872 2024-08-10 17:23:08

D12w

I thought that pacman is an official repository supported by developers, and AUR (yay, pikaur, trizen...) is an opportunity to download other programs that have a dubious reputation (I use a translator, so I apologize if my opinion is changed)

#7873 2024-08-10 18:07:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

D12w wrote:

I thought that pacman is an official repository supported by developers, and AUR (yay, pikaur, trizen...) is an opportunity to download other programs that have a dubious reputation (I use a translator, so I apologize if my opinion is changed)

That is correct.  (Your summary appears correct overall, accepting some atypical terminology that may be the result of the translator.  Pacman is not a repository, but a tool to install software from official repositories.  And the AUR has other programs / packages that are not officially supported.  In English, "dubious reputation" could imply "BAD reputation" and I don't think that's accurate.)

But chromium is in the officially supported repositories.  Chromium can be installed by pacman.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#7874 2024-08-11 18:42:56

borrie

Hi all,

A small intro: I've been using Arch for around four years now and I particularly like the possibility for minimalism, setting up the system just as you want and understanding all the various components of a Linux system. The Arch wiki has already helped me out too many times and occasionally one of the forum topics.

Looking forward to join the community. Cheers!

#7875 2024-08-11 19:34:20

Brenex

Hello everyone, happy to be here. I have previously installed arch with good success and I’m doing it again to spend more time learning and playing in its sandbox. Happy to be here!

Board footer