You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-09 06:06:25

infernova

Dual OS in one drive?

I've one 20G Drive, and used up 7 G for W2K Pro (4G NTFS, 3G FAT32)

During installation process of Arch, I always get an error "abort installation". Even after forcing it, finally the installation went through.
During reboot, I got error like "99 99 99 99" (I used GRUB by the way).

Funnily enough, I decided to wipe out Windows, and use Arch as single OS only, and it works fine. I really like this distro, but I still rely on my Windows to run Router Sim program or some Learnkey Videos.

My only question: Is it possible to have Win and Arch together in one single HD? on different partition of course.

I'm currently running on Win2K and Mandrake without problems, but I really want to use Arch since I think it's the best distro I've used so far.

Much thanks ahead for your input!

#2 2004-04-09 07:24:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Dual OS in one drive?

Yes you can run Windows & Arch on the same drive all you have to watch for is Windows wiping MBR when you install it...

All that means is you will have to chroot back into arch then set up Grub...

Mr Green

#3 2004-04-09 11:28:37

infernova

I've actually installed Windows first and then Linux as I believe that's the correct order. I'm sure Windows didn't wipe out the MBR.

I'm still new with Linux (less than a month), but I'll give it a try again, and post my questions again should I encounter similar issue. Thanks for the assurance.

#4 2004-04-13 14:18:06

skoal
Website

infernova wrote:

My only question: Is it possible to have Win and Arch together in one single HD? on different partition of course..,

Check out this post:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=#20264

#5 2004-04-24 11:28:21

infernova

OK, I'm still stuck with the problem...

here's my breakdown...I made

disk1   Primary   NTFS
disk2   Primary   W95 FAT32
disk3   Primary   Linux Swap
disk5   Logical     Linux            for  /boot
disk6   Logical     Linux            for  /
disk7   Logical     Linux            for  /home

When it comes to mounting system filepoints, it asks where you want to put your swap, /, and other things.

it shows

/dev/discs/disc0/part1-7

During mounting, I got  some error messages, failed to create disk or something.

Then, I tried this structure

disk1   Primary   NTFS
disk2   Primary   W95 FAT32
disk3   Primary   Linux Swap
disk4   Primary   Linux            for  /

Hence, the mounting shows: /dev/discs/disc0/part1-4....fit perfectly, and no problem with the rest of installation steps.

I noticed when I have 3 primary and 3 logical, the mounting part shows "7 parts", so can anyone help me to explain how do I know where to mount the swap, / or /home on the correct parts? (I don't know the correlation between "disk" and "part"). I've been tinkering with it till I get frustrated.

Please refer to beginning structure since I'd like to keep everything separate.

Much thanks in advance

#6 2004-04-24 13:59:19

i3839

A "disk" is a harddisk, a "part" is a harddisk partition. A disk can only have 4 primary partition. If you want more partitions, you need to make an extended partition. Then you can split up that extended partition into multiple logical partitions. That's why part4 is hidden, it's only a trick to get more than 4 partitions on a HD.

#7 2004-04-25 16:19:05

infernova

Yes, I'm aware you can only have max of 4 primary partition by "default". The only option Arch gave me was either "primary" or "logical". I however didn't encounter this problem with Mandrake10 or Fedora when I used them.

All I need to know is how should I mount the filepoints accordingly, say for instance swap should be mounted on part 6 or 7.

If based on your explanation regarding "disk" or "part", can I say each "disk" has 7 "parts"? so I would have 42 parts because I have 6 partitions?

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Thanks

Board footer