You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-26 11:16:20

aquilarubra

[SOLVED] pamac-manager displays with no text

Hello, I installed correctly pamac-all with all its dependencies.
Actually, I had it installed before, and it was working. So, after a system upgrade, I uninstalled and reinstalled all related packages, to have a clean situation.

When I launch pamac-manager, it contains no text.

From what I can infer from other online posts, it could be an issue with the newest gtk3 packages and the gpu driver. Indeed, it's an older laptop with a 555m nvidia gpu, which requires the nvidia 390 driver to work.

I notice also that, if I go in the Preferences (of pamac-manager), the first tab, "General", has no text if the lever control of "Check for updates" is checked. If it is unchecked, magically all that window has the text again. The Advanced tab always works, as it does not have that lever control with sub items. It has only plain levers (on or off). The tab Third Party suffers from the same problem, as it contains a lever control with sub items.

Any idea how to fix this? I read that some downgraded gtk3, but it doesn't seem a good solution. I also tried to change the gtk theme (I am using xfce that uses it), but no success.

Last edited by aquilarubra (2024-07-26 18:21:38)

#2 2024-07-26 11:31:31

aquilarubra

Re: [SOLVED] pamac-manager displays with no text

By the way, I am quite certain that the text is there. Only it becomes invisible. When I switch the lever to on, for a brief instant I see the text, then it seems set to transparent.

Last edited by aquilarubra (2024-07-26 11:33:06)

#3 2024-07-26 18:21:06

aquilarubra

Re: [SOLVED] pamac-manager displays with no text

I found a solution. I'm not sure which one of the following things solved the issue, but it works.

In ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini I found that I did not have one font:
gtk-font-name=Cantarell 11

I installed it:
pacman -S cantarell-fonts

In /etc/environment, I had to add these 2 lines:
GSK_RENDERER=gl
GDK_DEBUG=gl-prefer-gl

Board footer