You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-27 13:33:42

mkinitcoffee

[SOLVED] Screen stopped changing brightness after writing to bl_power

I have an Asus Zenbook 14 UX482AE - a laptop with 1,5 screens. Since I installed Arch Linux with GNOME on it, I've noticed that changing the "brightness slider" only affects the backlight of the primary display, ignoring the second one.
After a while I made a simple script to read the value from `/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness` (primary screen), and write to `/sys/class/backlight/asus_screenpad/brightness` (secondary screen), whilst changing the value's ratio, as primary's maximum is 19200, and secondary's is 235, and hooked it with a udev rule - it worked as it was supposed to.

Fast-forward to today, I modified the script to also affect the secondary display's bl_power value in accordance with the primary display, in order to match its blank state (wherein the screen's backlight is off entirely), *BUT* I made a slight mistake and wrote the brightness' value to bl_power, instead of.. well, bl_power's. So when the value can be 0-4 incl., I wrote in something in the thousands.

The display briefly switched off, and then on. Brightness was set to what it had been, but now it in no way reacted to any `/sys/class/backlight/asus_screenpad/brightness` values changing.

- Adding `acpi_backlight=video`/`vendor`/`native`: `video` and `native` did nothing new, whereas with `vendor`, the primary display's brightness also couldn't change;
- Reinstalling linux (6.10.1) and linux-firmware also did nothing;
- I've also tried putting the laptop into sleep to force the blank state, and now the screen is instead stuck in "no backlight whatsoever" state, still unresponsive to its `/sys/class/backlight` values;
- Nothing new appeared in `/sys/class/backlight`; intel_backlight still reacted to all values;
- Xrandr can change the brightness value, just as could I manually, but the display still wouldn't react;
- Seemingly nothing about the device itself changed, other than it not reacting to /sys/class/backlight/ values.

To note, the display's driver name is asus-nb-wmi. I don't quite know what to try except attempt to load Windows from an external disk to make it do its thing.
Thank you to everyone reading, in advance.

EDIT: Rebooting after the "no backlight whatsoever" for some reason fixed the issue. Thank you to anyone who stopped to read, issue is resolved

Last edited by mkinitcoffee (2024-07-27 14:08:06)

Board footer