You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-31 00:06:34

Servo888

Initial Impressions...

Hello!

So I've been a Gentoo fan for... Oh I would say 3 years. But lately, not having much time to manage the Gentoo system, I've been trying to find an alternative. Arch Linux seemed like a good choice. Well here are my initial impressions of the system:

1) Installation... I just setup the base system, a few taps here and there, no thinking required. I chose the auto install, just clicked enter and the down arrow a couple times. And all of the sudden I was booting into an Arch system :-). Went over the basics of Pacman, and setup the links web browser to figure out how to setup the rest of my system.

Over all, quick install.

2) Package managing... The most important feature that I need is a good package managing system. I don't want to deal with looking for this, finding that, etc. Well for the most part Pacman worked well.

My only problem is that there is no build for vmware workstation / player. So installing that was a bit of a wild goose chase as some of the documentation is outdated (IE: the wiki). But vmware seems to be working fine, and even the rc.d script is working (yay!). It would be nice to see this apart of the package tree though.

3) The distribution... Works great! It's very light and fast. I have an amd64 3400, but with a slow hard drive (this is a laptop) - and I'm getting very good boot times. I removed the module detection option, and just typed in all the required modules.

Over all I'm happy. It still feels weird not having Gentoo installed - I'm definitely experiencing some software-home-sickness. But we'll see.

#2 2006-12-31 04:08:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Initial Impressions...

Welcome to Arch.

Vmware is in AUR. If you don't know AUR, go here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=12906

#3 2006-12-31 06:12:24

ScriptDevil

welcome aboard

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#4 2006-12-31 20:59:22

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Welcome! I hope you enjoy this distro as much as I do!
I have struggled with Linux on and off for a few years. Before Arch, I tried more than 2 dozen distros, each had me frustarated and ready to give up....but I am done searching for the "perfect" desktop distro- Arch fits me perfectly. And, it is improving all the time.
big_smile [/code]

Board footer