You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-31 22:54:27

daedalusman

Arch and mkinitcpio problems

I posted this to the mailing list but thought I might try and see if I could get a better response on the forums.

Well here is the deal, I've been having some trouble with my computer of late, it hard freezes after my computer has been on for about an hour or some, pretty randomly. I thought it might the harddrive I have linux on so I reinstalled arch to different drive, but on that drive linux was hard freezing after only about 2-3 hours. Well thats not good at all. I then reinstalled arch (.72 cd) back to the drive I had it on in the first place. Everything was working fine until I pacman -Syu and replaced mkinitramfs (or whatever it use to be) with mkinitcpio. I then restarted and the system would not boot. I used a livecd to mess with the sda hda stuff but to no avail, I tried everything that could possibly have worked on my system. So I ended up installing ubuntu 6.10 so that I could have a working computer without having to use a livecd. And that is where I stand today.

My question to all of you is this, if I were to use the new .8 install cd would I still run into this problem? Since the .8 media already has mkinitcpio it should setup things up correctly, yes? I really want arch back, I have come to just love arch and I can't believe I ever liked ubuntu, just not to my liking anymore.

Another question I have is in concern of my seeming hardware issues. If its not linux or some other piece of software causing my hard freezes, then what could it be? Right now my best guess would be either a harddrive or my powersupply.

Can anyone help me out with either of these two problems. Thanks and I hope to be back on arch here real soon.

#2 2006-12-31 23:17:59

skymt

Re: Arch and mkinitcpio problems

1. If you install from the .8 CD, you won't run into the mkinitcpio conversion issue.

2. From your second question, I assume that Ubuntu is crashing about as much as Arch did. If so, it may (as you suspected) be your power supply. Also, have you cleaned your computer recently? Dust buildup creates heat buildup, and that can sometimes cause unpredictable behavior.

#3 2007-01-01 01:20:41

go4it

daedalusman wrote:

If its not linux or some other piece of software causing my hard freezes, then what could it be? Right now my best guess would be either a harddrive or my powersupply.

Can anyone help me out with either of these two problems. Thanks and I hope to be back on arch here real soon.

A lot of motherboard builders used bad capacitors, symptoms: system is not stable.
google: leaking capacitors
and find a lot of similar descriptions
http://pc-medic.blogspot.com/2006/10/le … itors.html
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1081/index.asp
this is a wide spread problem, your pc could be a victim as well.
so open the box and check for leaking capacitors.

#4 2007-01-03 03:27:08

daedalusman

I well doesn't seem to be leaking capacitors as two different looks came up with no signs of leaking capacitors. But I'm wondering if maybe I'm overloading my power supply? I have 5 harddrives (currently only using 4), geforce 6800 GT agp, althon64 X2 4200+, 2gigs of ram, soundbalster audigy 2 zs, a dvd burner, and I also have two xscreens (one for my monitor and one for my tv), my power supply is an aspire atx-as520w 12v, I use to have a 500 watt antec but that power supply seems to be f*cked up. I switched the two mentioned power supply and the antec power supply didn't even boot to the initial bios screen. So given all this, should I look into to getting a new power supply or does anybody have any ideas on what else it might? Thanks for the help and replies. Oh and yes both arch and ubuntu will crash after about the same amount of uptime.

Board footer