You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-04 14:28:05

bryce
Website

scim & japanese input

hi all.  i tried everything.  i even sacrificed a goat to the dark lord, but got no results.  i cannot input japanese into kde apps

i have installed
scim
skim
anthy
scim-anthy

i can input japanese into firefox, but nothing else.  i am a kde user (AND WILL NOT CHANGE hahaha). 
my .xinitrc file reads

export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export LC_CTYPE="ja_JP"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

i have tried some of the other .xinitrc combinations that exist elsewhere on the forums, to no avail.

has anyone been able to use scim to input successfully into kde?  if so could you let me know your script settings?

thanks in advance

bryce

#2 2005-04-04 17:35:44

cmp

Re: scim & japanese input

I'm a gtk/console user and everything works fine with the above settings. but are you starting scim with 'scim -d' (put in my xinitrc)?
also try some settings in the kde control panel (I think there is such a thing).

#3 2005-04-05 04:03:38

bryce
Website

thanks cmp, but no go mate.  still the same old story.  this one has me baffled.  :shock:

#4 2005-04-07 00:11:58

scottro
Website

I have a page on Japanese in *nix.  Even in Arch, I wound up using kinput2 and canna, and the page has a link to a vanilla kinput2 and canna tarball that definitely works in Arch.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

#5 2005-04-16 00:31:14

elcalen
Website

Hiya! I'm new to Arch Linux, and happen to be interested in Japanese...

I got Japanese input to work with kinput2 and canna, using those instructions by scottro. However, I've got a little snag: inputting kana works fine, but I can't input kanji. I get the following error message when starting kinput2 (and when pressing space while in jap input mode):

かな漢字変換サーバと通信できません

Using an online translator, I figure it has something to do with kana kanji converter not being able to communicate with server??

Did I miss something in the instructions, or is it something to do with my system configuration? Any help appreciated...

#6 2005-04-17 12:53:49

scottro
Website

It means that cannaserver isn't running.  If you used that vanilla tarball of mine,  cannaserver went into /usr/sbin/cannaserver.

So, before trying to input kanji, make sure that it's running.  As root or with root privilege

/usr/sbin/cannaserver

You might get a message saying terminated, I'm not sure why, but it happens--it's one reason I wish someone who knew what they were doing would make a package, but...

However, even with that message about it being terminated, it will run--you can check this with pgrep cannaserver

After that, if you use the instructions on the page I listed before, it should work without problem.

#7 2005-04-17 19:20:58

elcalen
Website

Okay, after running cannaserver kanji input appears to work fine... So I need to run this as root every time I want to use kanjis? Or I'll have to make it so it's started at boot...

Yeah, we really do need an easy to install package for Japanese (and other) input... With your vanilla tarball and instructions it wasn't too hard to install, but still...

Thanks for your help, though (and the tarball and instructions)!

PS. And what about this scim then? How does it compare with kinput2/canna? (I tried this first, as the instructions were there and pretty straightforward. It would seem to work ok for my needs, but I'm always open to options...)

#8 2005-04-17 22:49:48

scottro
Website

I've never used scim or anthy--I used im-ja but that seemed to only work with gtk stuff.   Kinput and canna are rather old though.

You don't have to be root to start cannaserver, and I think I put it in /etc/rc.local to get it running---something incredibly simple, just /usr/sbin/cannaserver. 

I never looked deeply into running scim and anthy, but in my superficial searches, I never saw clear cut do A B C to get it working, at least not in English and my reading is too weak to puzzle through the Japanese docs.

EDITED A FEW MINUTES LATER

Of course, as soon as I wrote that, I found

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/scim … howto.html.

Also, the BSD package message seems to give good instructions, so I may wind up adding it to my page if it works.  smile

#9 2005-05-05 11:50:37

WaFuSan
Website

Maybe you can try to read this...
quite a lot of things about scim and kde

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … light=scim

#10 2005-11-08 11:54:28

vladuz976

i got scim japanese input to work. it was rather easy. i found this guide
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html
has even a section on Arch

#11 2006-12-31 20:19:30

K. Kawagishi

Did you try my suggestion for contribution page.
install uim and follow the page shown
user contributions> UIM & Japanese Input
It works well!
Good luck.[/b]

#12 2007-01-03 14:44:00

foxbunny
Website

I was able to use scim/skim in KDE apps. However, I can't recall how and I'm at work now. I will check back with you once I have a look at my config files.

Board footer