You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 22:21:44

autumnontape

Conflicting files in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes

I maintain the `gargoyle` AUR package, and I've just adopted the `qtads` package as well. These applications both open TADS 2 & 3 story files, and they both provide icons for the corresponding MIME types in `/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes`.

The icons provided by the two packages conflict with each other; and they differ, too, though I don't think it would be a problem if Gargoyle's icons were used when the `qtads` package was installed. The reverse might be questionable, since Gargoyle uses the same icon for many interactive fiction story formats, so TADS 2 & 3 files would be the only ones that looked different if the QTads icon were used for them.

My best idea to resolve this right now is to put the icons in a separate package named `gargoyle-icons` and list that package as a dependency of both `gargoyle` and `qtads`. Does anyone have a better alternative? Is there a way to let the packages install their icons in different places, ideally with Gargoyle's icons being chosen when both are installed?

I haven't pushed an update to `qtads` yet because I want to resolve this conflict first. These two packages also both provide MIME type database entries for these two types of file, which are identical aside from their "comment" fields. This at least doesn't seem like a problem.

As a side question: QTads has a built-in update checker. By default, it's configured to check for updates once a day. Should I patch the default setting to "never check for updates" when packaging it? It always bothers me when an application I've installed through a package manager automatically checks for updates.

#2 Today 07:07:34

seth

Re: Conflicting files in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/mimetypes

put the icons in a separate package named `gargoyle-icons` and list that package as a dependency of both `gargoyle` and `qtads`

Unless you can/want to mutually conflict the gargoyle and qtads package, that's what you'll have to do.

patch the default setting to "never check for updates"

because

It always bothers me when an application I've installed through a package manager automatically checks for updates.

notably since they're not applicable.

Board footer