You are not logged in.

#1 2024-09-15 15:52:29

SeagullFish

[SOLVED] Unable to upgrade pacman due to conflict with libpamac-aur

I am not sure which subforum to post this thread into, as I am unsure whether my issue is related to pacman, pamac or libpamac. Hopefully, I haven't posted it a totally wrong place.

I am using pamac-aur[AUR] to manage package updates. As a backup solution, I also have aura-bin[AUR] installed, in case Pamac should cease to function.

Two days ago, I got notified by Pamac that updates for pacman and libpamac-aur[AUR] were available:

• pacman: 6.1.0-3 --> 7.0.0.r3.g7736133-1

• libpamac-aur: 11.6.4-2 --> 11.6.4-4

Trying to install the new packages through pamac gives me several dialogue boxes with the following example messages (unfortunately, I am unable to preproduce every dialogue box that I have witnessed):

Dialogue box 1: Failed to prepare transaction.
Dialogue box 2: Failed to prepare transaction. Could not satisfy dependencies:
	- Could not satisfy dependency ’pacman<6.2’ required by libpamac-aur

Trying to update the system with aura gives me the following output:

[foo@bar ~]$ sudo aura -Ayu
aura: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[foo@bar ~]$ sudo aura -Syu
aura: error while loading shared libraries: libalpm.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Trying to update the system with pacman gives me the following output:

[foo@bar ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu --verbose
Root      : /
Conf File : /etc/pacman.conf
DB Path   : /var/lib/pacman/
Cache Dirs: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/  
Hook Dirs : /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/  /etc/pacman.d/hooks/  
Lock File : /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
Log File  : /var/log/pacman.log
GPG Dir   : /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/
Targets   : None
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is updated
 extra is updated
:: Upgrading the system...
Unraveling dependencies...
Looking for conflicting packages...
error: could not prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installation of pacman (7.0.0.r3.g7736133-1) breaks dependency 'libalpm.so=14' required by libpamac-aur
:: installation of pacman (7.0.0.r3.g7736133-1) breaks dependency 'pacman<6.2' required by libpamac-aur
Question:

Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited by SeagullFish (2024-09-19 13:14:15)

#2 2024-09-15 17:30:46

WorMzy
Administrator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to upgrade pacman due to conflict with libpamac-aur

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2024-09-15 18:03:57

jl2
Website

Wait for https://github.com/manjaro/pamac/issues/449 to be resolved and then manually update pacman.

VERY BAD IDEA, this will break something sooner or later, but it hasn't broken anything for me yet:
you can symlink /usr/lib/libalpm.so.15 to /usr/bin/libalpm.so.14 or the other way around.

Last edited by jl2 (2024-09-15 18:04:17)

Why I run Arch? To "BTW I run Arch" the guy one grade younger.
And to let my siblings and cousins laugh at Arsch Linux...

#4 2024-09-15 18:55:41

SeagullFish

jl2 wrote:

Wait for https://github.com/manjaro/pamac/issues/449 to be resolved and then manually update pacman.

All right, thank you. I will wait until an update for Pamac becomes available. Until then, I'll change the status of this thread to [CLOSED].

jl2 wrote:

VERY BAD IDEA, this will break something sooner or later, but it hasn't broken anything for me yet:
you can symlink /usr/lib/libalpm.so.15 to /usr/bin/libalpm.so.14 or the other way around.

Thank you for your suggestion. But if I do that, I will most probably just forget what I did. And thus, when the day comes where things break, it will be time-consuming trying to figure out how to fix it. So maybe a decent solution for some, but not for me. smile

#5 2024-09-15 19:10:47

cryptearth

another option is to build yay (not yay-bin) from source against updated libalpm.15
also: please use SOLVED instead of CLOSED

Last edited by cryptearth (2024-09-15 19:11:05)

#6 2024-09-15 20:17:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There should be no problem here.  The PKGBUILD for libpamac-aur has been updated on the aur, you just need to properly update your AUR packages.  The fact that pamac apparently can't properly update itself is one of many reasons to not rely on such helpers.  Build and install the relevant AUR packages with makepkg and pacman.

Specifically, it looks like you'll need to remove libpacman-aur, upgrade your system, then build / install the new libpamac-aur.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-09-15 20:21:05)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#7 2024-09-19 13:14:01

SeagullFish

Trilby wrote:

There should be no problem here.  The PKGBUILD for libpamac-aur has been updated on the aur, you just need to properly update your AUR packages.

You were completely right. At almost the same time that you posted your answer, an update for both pamac-aur and libpamac-aur was announced by Pamac.

Trilby wrote:

The fact that pamac apparently can't properly update itself is one of many reasons to not rely on such helpers.  Build and install the relevant AUR packages with makepkg and pacman.

Note taken. However, I have been running Arch Linux with Pamac for about a year now, and this is the first time I have encountered such an error.

Trilby wrote:

Specifically, it looks like you'll need to remove libpacman-aur, upgrade your system, then build / install the new libpamac-aur.

I did what you suggested. At first, makepkg refused to build libpamac-aur, due to still missing libalpm.so.15. But after several tries of downgrading and upgrading Pacman, suddenly it successfully worked, and I got newer versions of both pamac-aur and libpamac-aur installed.

cryptearth wrote:

also: please use SOLVED instead of CLOSED

Will do. Especially now that the issue has actually been solved.

#8 2024-10-02 20:18:36

joilton

Meu arch estava com esse erro e nao atualizava, fiz conforme instruindo e resolveu o problema de dependencias.
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
# erro: falha ao preparar a transação (não foi possível satisfazer as dependências)
#:: a instalação de pacman (7.0.0.r3.g7736133-1) quebra a dependência "pacman<6.2" necessária por libpamac-git
# -> error installing repo packages
#error installing repo packages
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Resolvido, obrigado a todos.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
~ sudo pacman -R libpamac-git pamac-aur-git
verificando dependências...

Pacotes (2) libpamac-git-11.6.4.r1.g3fe0f42-1  pamac-aur-git-11.7.1.r1.g61b7570-1

Tamanho total removido:  4,46 MiB

:: Deseja remover estes pacotes? [S/n] s
:: Processando alterações do pacote...
(1/2) removendo pamac-aur-git                      [------------------------] 100%
(2/2) removendo libpamac-git                       [------------------------] 100%
atenção: /etc/pamac.conf salvo como /etc/pamac.conf.pacsave
:: Executando hooks pós-transação...
(1/6) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/6) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/6) Updating the MIME type database...
(4/6) Reloading system bus configuration...
(5/6) Updating icon theme caches...
(6/6) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
joilton@cabralaraujo:~$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Sincronizando a base de dados de pacotes...
core está atualizado
........................................................................................................................................................................................

obs: essa é a primeira vez que respondo e estou a pouco tempo com arch instalado.

#9 2024-10-02 23:09:30

Joyfreaky

Thank you Everyone,
After reading the forum, I have been able to come up with a solution, So I am using pamac and pacman and for ease of use paru as well.

Got a similar error while trying to update my system but I uninstalled the pamac using this command sudo pacman -Rns pamac which in case uninstalled all the conflicting dependencies and then I updated the system using paru and reinstalled the pamac from aur and it did worked perfectly. Thank you.

Last edited by Joyfreaky (2024-10-02 23:09:57)

Board footer