You are not logged in.

#1 Yesterday 16:51:01

yataghan012

Can't Install GRUB, "grub-install: error: disk lvmid not found"

Hello, I'm trying to setup a new system on a qemu VM and I'm making some tests, so I can later implement it on my actual hardware.

The system consists of Arch Linux as main distro and booted .iso. Disk formatting is: LVM with thinpool (one partition for root, then data, a nextcloud server partition and a whonix partition, these last two encrypted with LUKS), BTRFS in all partitions except the whonix partition with ext4 and a swap partition inside the volume group of the thinpool. And I later plan to make the system dual boot with whonix and enable snapshots. However I got stuck installing GRUB for UEFI while in chroot, I already tried solving this issue editing and recreating the "mkinitcpio" file by adding "lvm2" but nothing. I'll detail my procedure:

1) Enter live system through "Install medium". Install and use reflector for mirrors.
2) Partitioning: "gdisk /dev/vda". Set gpt "o". Create a EFI system partition 200M. Create a LVM partition (~49GB).
3) Set up LVM: "pvcreate /dev/vda2", "vgcreate my_vg /dev/vda2", logical volumes: "lvcreate --size 46.5G --thinpool my_thin my_vg", "lvcreate --thin -V22GB my_vg/my_thin -n root", "lvcreate --thin -V3GB my_vg/my_thin -n data", "lvcreate --thin -V10GB my_vg/my_thin -n nextcloud", "lvcreate --thin -V11.5GB my_vg/my_thin -n whonix". swap: ""lvcreate -L 3G -n swap my_vg"
4) Encrypt partitions: "cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/my_vg/nextcloud" and "cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/my_vg/nextcloud nextcloud_crypt" (same commands for whonix)
5)Formatting: "mkfs.btrfs /dev/my_vg/root" (and /data) "mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/vda1", "mkfs.btrfs /dev/mapper/nextcloud_crypt", "mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/whonix_crypt". Swap: "mkswap /dev/my_vg/swap" and "swapon /dev/my_vg/swap"
6)Mounting: "mount /dev/my_vg/root /mnt", "mkdir /mnt/data" and "mount dev/my_vg/data /mnt/data", "mkdir -p /boot/efi" and "mount /dev/vda1 /boot/efi", "mkdir /mnt/nextcloud" and "mount /dev/mapper/nextcloud_crypt /mnt/nextcloud", "mkdir /mnt/whonix" and "mount /dev/mapper/whonix_crypt /mnt/whonix".
7)Set Home folder on DATA partition: -Create a BTRFS subvolume for /home:"btrfs subvolume create /mnt/data/@home" -Mount data partition as /home: "umount /mnt/data", "mkdir /mnt/home", "mount -o subvol=@home /dev/my_vg/data /mnt/home"
8)Install base packages: "pacstrap /mnt base linux-lts linux-firmware amd-ucode nano lvm2"
9)Configure fstab: "genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab"
10)Enter chroot: "arch-chroot /mnt". Installing GRUB: "pacman -S grub efibootmgr". Changed hooks in "/etc/mkinitcpio.conf" added "lvm2" between block and filesystems. And recreate "mkinitcpio -p linux-lts"

then "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB" gives me "grub-install: error: disk lvmid/Ew306z-umcz-3WSW-FU0e-2QQ6-DCBL-rboAm0/ZjpcfC-fenW-VbgK-oVYZ-sc03-NNRf-c36db1' not found." and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I also appreciate constructive criticism at the whole procedure I'm attempting to do, I'll be attentive to that as well.

#2 Yesterday 17:42:07

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Can't Install GRUB, "grub-install: error: disk lvmid not found"

Why are you telling it your ESP is at /boot if that's not where you mounted it?

#3 Yesterday 18:29:36

yataghan012

Scimmia wrote:

Why are you telling it your ESP is at /boot if that's not where you mounted it?

Because it says "failed to get canonical path of '/boot/efi'

#4 Today 01:25:00

Scimmia
Fellow

Then that's what needs debugged. What is the output of `mount`?

Board footer