You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-06 18:57:13

battra

[SOLVED] firefox "open with" option missing from d

Has anyone noticed that, in firefox 2, the "Save/OpenWith/Cancel dialog has changed to only "Save/Cancel" (with no option to open the file with a particular application)?

For instance, clicking on the first "Excel" file type on this Web page only gives me a Save or Cancel option.  With firefox 1.5 there was an additional option for "Open With".  In other words, there is no way I can instantly open the document with Open Office using a temporary location.  I have  to first save it to my home directory and then open it with Open Office or something.

When using firefox 2 with Web-based email clients like Yahoo! Mail, it's annoying that I can't just instantly open attachments (like PDFs).  Instead, I have to first save everything.

Is there something I can change in about:config to get back the 1.5 behavior?

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates

#2 2007-01-06 19:24:05

graphic23

Re: [SOLVED] firefox "open with" option missing from d

I get Open With & Save to Disk, and Cancel.. all of them.. with the latest verion in the repos - 2.0.0.1 i think

#3 2007-01-06 21:09:33

battra

I just synced and upgraded firefox, but still have the same problem.  Maybe that Web page of file types and the Excel file is a bad example.  Let me use Web-based email as an example.

When opening a PDF attachment in any Web-based email client (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo! Mail), I only get a dialog with a Save and Cancel option in firefox 2.  I used to get an additional "Open With" option to open the file from a Temporary location.  In Firefox Preferences, I have PDF files configured to open with acroread, but I'm never given an option to open the PDF - only to save or cancel.

Anyone know what's going on?

- Socrates

#4 2007-01-06 23:36:13

battra

I might also mention that I'm not completely sure that it started happening with the 2.0 upgrade.  I just know that it started happening recently.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

- Socrates

#5 2007-01-06 23:43:59

battra

This post describes the problem I'm having.  I guess it's a bug in firefox, then?  I wonder why no other arch users have run into this (at least judging by a quick search of the forum postings).

- Socrates

#6 2007-01-06 23:45:30

manmower

My first guess would be you accidentally set it to "do this for all files of this type from now on..." or some update changed your settings (sounds unlikely). Have you checked your preferences? (Content->File types)

#7 2007-01-06 23:58:12

battra

No, I already checked my firefox preferences.  The preferences explain the behavior of Excel files (set to always save).   But, for me, the "Open with" option went missing for PDF attachments and some other unknown binary file types.

I have PDFs set to open with acroread in FF preferences, so that seems okay.  Nothing in the filetypes configuration has changed.  In fact, the PDFs work okay (with acroread plugin) when I click a PDF link on a random web page.  It just doesn't work in email attachments  like in gmail (and, it used to before).  It used to be that it would give me the "Open With" dialog and I'd open the document with acroread (external application, not the plugin).  Now, it forces me to save or cancel.  I noticed it happens with some other unknown binary file types, too (I thought these were also supposed give me the "Open with" option).

- Socrates

#8 2007-01-07 00:12:33

battra

Okay, I deleted the .mozilla directory and had it re-created during restart.  And, everything is functioning normally again.  I have no idea what happened.  But, I don't think it's anything I did accidentally (at least, I don't think).

However, I'm still not getting an "Open with" option when downloading unknown binary filetypes as attachments.  Not sure if this is new or not or expected behavior.  Could've sworn I had an "Open with" option in 1.5.  Oh well.  At least, I can open PDF attachments again without saving (I get a lot of them through EFax).

Thanks.

- Socrates

Board footer