You are not logged in.

#1 2024-10-21 00:07:58

ACE7F22

Nvidia Ray-Tracing not working.

Ray tracing was working, now the options are grayed out.  Can't re-enable Ray Traced Shadows.

The Riftbreaker
Proton 9 and experimental
Launch options = prime-run noesync nofsync

Before recent updates, the game worked fine, apart from random crashes when attempting to rift jump.  Attempting to resolve these crashes, as well as navigating the new KDE updates, I lost access to several settings, including full scale resolution.  After some more updates, and configuring, I restored everything except for Ray Tracing.  I've explored the Arch wiki, steam, the steam proton documentation, and everywhere else I could maybe find a solution to restoring this specific feature, and nothing has worked.  I learned about DXVK, VKD3D, dxr, nvapi (which by the way, with proton, it's "PROTON_FORCE_NVAPI=1", "enable didn't seem to work, and it's otherwise enabled by default.).  I've tried forcing vkd3d12, enabling dxr/dxr11, I've been exploring just about everything to re-enable RayTracing, which was working a few weeks ago.  I did a search for "Ray Tracing" on here, and saw very little information, so I'm trying to establish some more information.

Yes, I'm new to Linux, but I've spent so much time digging into this, I'm convinced it's not just cause im new.  Is this justice a software issue that needs to be resolved on the developer's side?

My system.
Intel 12900k
Nvidia RTX 4060 (prime secondary)
Arch Linux (systemd boot)
KDE Plasma (Wayland)
Steam (through pacman)

By the way, I'm looking for another game to test RayTracing, incase the issue is game specific.  The Proton log says d3d11 a lot, and not d3d12, so I'm thinking it's just not using vkd3d12?  But I can't force it to use it.  The GPU specs are recognized, so it knows it's dx12 capable.

Oh, and yes, I tried verifying game files on Steam.

Last edited by ACE7F22 (2024-10-21 00:10:57)

#2 Yesterday 18:13:22

tdtooke

Re: Nvidia Ray-Tracing not working.

You might try the latest GE Proton.  I'm currently playing Witcher 3 on it and ray tracing works.  I don't actually use it because when I enable it I have a slight slowdown that annoys me.  It's still playable but I don't like any kind of lag at all.  With GE Proton all you should need is PROTON_FORCE_NVAPI=1.  And that's from GE's discord.  Don't read the Arch Wiki to do ray tracing with Proton.  Although I think lately if it's Vulkan anything you really shouldn't have to put anything.  I think I heard that NVAPI is enabled by default now.  Could be wrong.

Edit:  For your info I'm playing Witcher 3 in dx12 mode.  Also my GPU is a GE RTX 3050 Ti,  in theory your GPU should be far superior.

Last edited by tdtooke (Yesterday 18:21:01)

#3 Today 17:35:39

ACE7F22

I appreciate the advice, but GE Proton doesn't seem "officially" supported, and I haven't been comfortable opening the can of worms that's AUR, or manually installing programs.  I read into it, and it's my understanding that do to the nature of the AUR, it's not secure, and there's always a risk of something breaking, or even malicious programs.  I prefer using just Pacman for now, with the regular repositories, since I assume they're all tested and verified before updated.

That being said, Ray Tracing was working on the Nvidia Driver a couple weeks ago.  Proton Experimental, and 9(I think).  Also, it was working without any extra setup.  I didn't even know about the hardware RayTracing page on the Arch wiki until RayTracing stopped working.  So I'm completely at a loss what broke.

#4 Today 20:06:16

tdtooke

I get that.  GE is pretty universally acclaimed in the gaming community.  You don't want the AUR package.  For that you want to download the tar.gz release on his github page and extract it to something resembling "~/.steam/steam/compatibility"  I'm at work so I can't say the exact location but it'll look something like that.  I completely get wanting to keep it official but just so you know.  GE isn't just any old body.  He's actually from Red Hat and does a lot of stuff like this on the side.  He has his own distribution that is focused on gaming.  I'm seriously considering switching to that because who am I fooling....I'm never going to do anything other than play on my home computer.

Board footer