You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-11 17:43:38

mavric

ABS: Compiling the Kernel

I attempted to compile the 2.6.5 kernel (following the wiki guide) - but experienced a problem editing the config file. Initially I tried "make menuconfig" (which did not work), and then resorted to using a text editor. However my rendition of the config file wasn't consistent/properly set up, so ABS wouln't compile it.  How do I go about editing the config file at this stage?

#2 2004-04-11 17:51:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: ABS: Compiling the Kernel

mavric wrote:

I attempted to compile the 2.6.5 kernel (following the wiki guide) - but experienced a problem editing the config file. Initially I tried "make menuconfig" (which did not work), and then resorted to using a text editor. However my rendition of the config file wasn't consistent/properly set up, so ABS wouln't compile it.  How do I go about editing the config file at this stage?

what's the error for menu config?

menuconfig and xconfig are the preferred methods, better to figure out what's wrong.

Do you have libncurses installed?

Dusty

#3 2004-04-11 18:30:24

mavric

I have ncurses installed, I could not find libncurses in the repositories.

I don't remember exactly what type of error was produced ( I have since reinsalled Linux from the iso ), but it was regardinig the config options. As I understand it, some options depend upon others, and I must have editied the  config file improperly.

This is how I got to the above step:
1) ran abs
2) copied the contents of /var/abs/kernels/kernel26/  ( PKGBUILD, config, and kernel26.install ) to /var/abs/local
3) attempted to edit the config file...  ( no rules to make target "make menuconfig" ) resorted to vim

#4 2004-04-11 20:12:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

It might be easier to compile the kernel outside of ABS. In the case of the kernel, I believe ABS doesn't offer any advantages, but... that's just my (humble) opinion.

Try running makepkg first. THis will build a default kernel. Then cd to the newly created src/linux-2.6.5/ and run make menuconfig. You can now save the configuration into the main dir, or even just cd to the main section and run makepkg again, this should use the new config. If you overwrite the config file in the kernel26 dir, you'll have to change the md5sum in the PKGBUILD.

hope it helps,

Dusty

#5 2004-04-12 03:28:07

mavric

It seems that compiling the kernel with ABS requires less steps:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ker … ompilation

Well, I'd rather compile it outside of ABS , than do it twice with it. Its too bad we don't know what to do at this step - were so close!

I appreciate your help/advice Dusty - Thank-you.

#6 2004-04-12 05:27:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

mavric wrote:

It seems that compiling the kernel with ABS requires less steps:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ker … ompilation

Basically it does the same thing, but if you use ABS, some of it is automated inside the PKGBUILD script.  On the other hand, there are more steps involved in getting the kernel to work *with* ABS. This is the only case I would ever suggest compiling software outside of ABS, but I honestly believe its simpler that way. Plus, its easier to patch the source to upgrade the kernel instead of downloading the full new source. (an issue if you're on dialup like me.)

That howto could do with some editing; I'm on it. smile

Well, I'd rather compile it outside of ABS , than do it twice with it. Its too bad we don't know what to do at this step - were so close!

Its your choice; basically use the method that works first. wink

I appreciate your help/advice Dusty - Thank-you.

You're very welcome. smile I don't get many chances to help, only to act up. :-D

Dusty

Board footer