You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-11 21:19:17

rhfrommn

Questions about game package and preparing for pacman -Syu

I used to have a game on my Arch box called Fish Fillets Next Generation, which I'm 99.9% sure I installed by doing pacman -S fillets-ng.  This quit working last month, giving some library errors when I tried to start it.  So I tried a pacman -Syu which totally destroyed my system.  I hadn't fixed the mkinitcpio stuff and a few other things so the new kernel didn't like it at all.

I couldn't ever figure out how to fix that so I punted by wiping my disk and installing again using a 0.8 iso I downloaded yesterday.  However, when I started re-installing packages I noticed there is no fillets-ng or anything remotely like that in the current or extras.  It must have been there before since those are the only repos my pacman was set up to use.

After that long and annoying introductory info, my questions are

1.  Do packages ever disappear like that or was I just hallucinating where I got it from?
2.  If they do get removed, why?  Is it because they are put somewhere else, or are they just deleted?

And the most important one:
3.  I don't use my Arch box terribly often and update with pacman -Syu monthly or less.  What is the best way to find out any potential land mines like the one that blew up my system before doing it?  I read the forums regularly, but there doesn't seem to be one place to go to find out everything you need to check/change/fix before doing an update.  And with how long I go between updates it is highly unlikely I'll ever remember all the changes that need to be made just from seeing them in forum posts.

Thanks,
Ralph

#2 2007-01-11 21:57:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Questions about game package and preparing for pacman -Syu

rhfrommn wrote:

1.  Do packages ever disappear like that or was I just hallucinating where I got it from?

You weren't dreaming - it was real. smile
It seems it was downgraded last year, and is now in the AUR.

rhfrommn wrote:

2.  If they do get removed, why?

AFAIR, it was one of a number moved out of Extra to the AUR because they were no longer being maintained by any of the devs. I'm open to correction on that though, as I wasn't a dev at the time.

rhfrommn wrote:

3. What is the best way to find out any potential land mines like the one that blew up my system before doing it?

http://www.archlinux.org/news/
Everything critical is posted there, so you should get into the habit of reading it before every update.

I'd recommend you update more often than once a month, if possible - that way, you'll have less to deal with each time.

#3 2007-01-11 21:59:58

tomk
Forum Fellow

P.S. You're not Off-Topic, btw - Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues would be more like it.

#4 2007-01-12 16:17:42

rhfrommn

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to update more often and check the news page first.

#5 2007-08-16 08:19:34

Al3rt!

I can today play fish fillets, but I cant be abel to find him in repository.. When I red this post, I search it on AUR, but FISH FILLETS arent in AUR!! Why are you removing this package? Its good game!

#6 2007-08-16 08:44:33

[vEX]

Al3rt! wrote:

I can today play fish fillets, but I cant be abel to find him in repository.. When I red this post, I search it on AUR, but FISH FILLETS arent in AUR!! Why are you removing this package? Its good game!

It's available in AUR, it's called fillets-ng.

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

Board footer