You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-10 16:06:33

punkrockguy318
Website

GTK2 Pacman Front-end

I see there is a KPacman available, but there were also requests of a GTK2 based pacman front-end.  I am a programmer, and haven't been working on any projects lately, and want a challenge for my spare time.

The features I would like to emphisise are...
* Package browsing - So the user can browse the package categories, read package descriptions, and learn more about the packages
* Package installation and uninstallation
* Tell the user what commands the front-end is executing - this way the user can learn about command-line pacman, instead of relying on an unreliable front-end

- I don't want to reinvent the wheel - is someone else doing something like this?  Is there something like this already available?  Will this be valuable to the Arch Linux community?  What do you guys think?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-04-10 18:06:18

lanrat

Re: GTK2 Pacman Front-end

I don't really see a need for pacman GUI for simple things like installation of a package, system update  (pacman -Syu or pacman -S), etc. Pacman GUI should rather be concentrated on some extended functions like searching for a package or testing the best mirror or searching for newly added and upgraded packages (like on archlinux homepage) or....
It would also be interesting to have a program that joins pacman and abs features e.g. to search for a package' homepage (url from the corresponding PKGBUILD). Simply speaking - integration is a key for success :-)
All of the features I mention above are possible right now - they just can be a little complicated for the archlinux newbies.
And just to clarify my intentions: personally I prefer to use CLI with pacman, but since this thread has been already started.... ;-)

#3 2004-04-10 20:46:09

zeppelin
Website

punkrockguy318, I hope you don't go for Gtk+ (C api)
What language are you thinking. I believe PyGTK or Gtkmm [PyGTK is easier] is the solution for the bindings you 'll want.

I 'm kind of interested [that's why I asked the sources for kpacaman] to get some ideas..
I played yesterday for an hour or so in Glade for the basic GUI ;P [which is not ready yet, nor am I sure that I want to continue gPacman or is it GnoPacman or gnome-pacman ??]

anyways, some thoughs are of course welcome.

#4 2004-04-10 22:57:16

qball
Website

I' ve been playing around with python and pygtk a bit (my first time python as C programmer)

and I' ve come up with a little package searcher:
gpacsearch1.png

A (test unstable, use on own risk) package can be found in my download section

http://download.qballcow.nl or ftp://qballcow.nl   gpacksearch.tar.gz

#5 2004-04-10 22:59:09

punkrockguy318
Website

I was thinking of using GTK2 (I use C++)

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6 2004-04-11 22:04:30

zeppelin
Website

punkrockguy318, if you see qball's python code, you 'll understand why PyGTK is the best solution for this tongue

nice code mr qball tongue
I bet you like you don't like Glade that much? tongue

#7 2004-04-11 22:18:49

qball
Website

zeppelin wrote:

I bet you like you don't like Glade that much? tongue

?? its a bit messy because I converted it to glade.. so there are some things there that could be done in glade aswell.
glade is not bad, it makes things easier.

edit anybody talking recursive dependencies?
recursive-depend.png

#8 2004-04-11 22:27:07

matias

recursive-depend.png

¡¡Wow man!! what Gtk2-theme are you using? and if possible, where can i donwload.

Thanks.

#9 2004-04-12 14:32:05

potentials

#10 2004-04-12 14:40:26

potentials

Although pacman is the only piece of software with CLI that I remeber most of its options and don't need to RTFM every time I use it, I think a GUI would be nice.

punkrockguy318: Since you don't want to re-invent the wheel you can follow the interface of Synaptic. It only took less than a couple of minutes to learn it. I liked the fact that you can choose to install, upgrade or uninstall a group of packages and then excecute all the actions at the same time. Ofcourse the code would be totally different but I'm talking about the interface

Board footer