You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-11 01:03:07

whol

My mouse wheel went crazy.

I was using fluxbox and firefox, then I installed gnome yesterday.  Now my mouse wheel "jumps up and down" when I try to scroll webpages.  It even does it if I am using fluxbox.  Or using the rox filemanager.

My /etc/X11/XF86Config hasn't changed since the 4-4-2004, and of course has the lines:

Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

It is "active", it just jumps back the opposite direction I scroll in.  I can't scroll webpages, just makes them jump up and down.

Any ideas whats going on with my mouse?  It's a Kensington USB optical mouse.  The only thing I can think of is that installing Gnome and all its little pieces screwed something up.

?

#2 2004-04-11 19:53:51

whol

Re: My mouse wheel went crazy.

Any ideas what happened to my mouse?

I read kernel 2.6 needed the following change, which I made, but it didn't help.  It's frustrating not having my mouse wheel work anymore. :-(

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

thx

#3 2004-04-11 20:22:37

whol

whol wrote:

Any ideas what happened to my mouse?

I read kernel 2.6 needed the following change, which I made, but it didn't help.  It's frustrating not having my mouse wheel work anymore. :-(

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

thx

Xentac showed me the solution, I didn't need the above Protocol line, I only needed the Device line.

thx

#4 2004-04-11 21:42:36

whol

It's still broke.  It works if I scroll the wheel downwards what would normally be a few screens of text, then it starts working.  Maybe the problem is my KVM switch I use to share my keyboard and mouse between my two Arch machines.  :-( 

The mouse is actually plugged in to the  bus mouse port because of the KVM switch, even though it is a USB mouse.

thx

#5 2004-04-11 21:47:44

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

That's a very probable explaination.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2004-04-11 22:27:44

qball
Website

whol wrote:

It's still broke.  It works if I scroll the wheel downwards what would normally be a few screens of text, then it starts working.  Maybe the problem is my KVM switch I use to share my keyboard and mouse between my two Arch machines.  :-( 

The mouse is actually plugged in to the  bus mouse port because of the KVM switch, even though it is a USB mouse.

thx

you ccould try a software solution like synergy works pretty good.

#7 2004-04-13 14:05:59

skoal
Website

whol wrote:

It's a Kensington USB optical mouse...

I have a USB optical mouse as well.  Change your "Device" option and "Protocol" option.  The entry you should have is:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

I think you just had some bad combinations of settings.  "/dev/usbmouse" is just a symlink to "/dev/input/mice", but make sure you are using the "ImPS/2" protocol as well.  My scroll works in every application.  Hope that helps.

Board footer