You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-11 06:19:14

jlmb

Idea to Avoid common configuration issues

Lots of common forums question could be avoided if a little more information about package post-installation procedures is added to <b>pacman -Qi foo</b> or wherever the developers think its best fitted.

Most newbies do <b>pacman -S foo</b> and expect the program to work right away, this is true for most packages that doesn't need any major configuration. But certain packages like flashplugin, j2re, etc  do work without any user configuration (thanks to the great package maintainers that do an outstanding job) but most new users doesn't know what to do after installing <i>foo</i> package.

My point is that certain situations (like this one) can easily be avoided by supplying that extra information. Which in this case Xentac provided.

A simple README giving some post-installation pointers would help a lot.

Hope it helps.

#2 2004-04-11 07:31:36

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Idea to Avoid common configuration issues

I don't think that's a bad idea.  It'd basically go along with any package that installs something to /etc/profile.d.  A little note saying that they have to log out and back in to get all the settings.

Maybe someone should submit bug reports to all the packages that do that.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-04-11 19:42:02

jlmb

Where are you planning to add the note?
I'll submit the bug report on flashplugin and j2re even though you maintain the latter.
It's got to be announced somewhere also to inform users about it so you guys get the bug reports.

I sincerally believe it will help a _lot_ to common issues. Just look the whole symlink mess other users proposed when you guys had already done it for us.

Ummm, I guess I expected a little more feedback on this thread.

#4 2004-04-11 19:54:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

flashplugin and j2re don't need it.

mozilla-common does.

Did you understand what I meant?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-04-12 01:53:24

jlmb

I thought I did at first. After checking the scripts I really understood what you meant.

Board footer