You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-15 16:50:21

RevertTS

Read/Write to External Media

I have an external harddrive I plan to use for torrenting, but I haven't been able to figure out how to give my user read/write access to it. 

Is there some kind of udev/fstab rule that could accomplish this, or should I be looking to add my user to a group?  Also, is there a breakdown of what the different groups are for somewhere?

Edit:  A bit unrelated, but where do I set the number of main terminals (the Alt + F key ones)?  I remember doing it on my last install, but I forgot what I did.

#2 2007-01-15 19:45:35

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Read/Write to External Media

What filesystem (ext3, FAT, etc) do you have on the drive? If it is a FAT filesystem, you will need to put some additional options in fstab if you are using that to mount it, but udev rules would be your better route since it is an external drive.

Google searching gives some ideas on udev rules: http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev … ple-usbhdd

The number of terminals can be set by editing /etc/inittab, and commenting out the TTY's you do not want enabled.

#3 2007-01-15 19:57:19

RevertTS

It's an ext3 drive.

Thanks for the link.  As I understand it, MODE will allow me to change the permissions on the drive?

Edit:  Got it.  Thanks.

What exactly's the point of all the symlinks in /dev?  I don't really understand why there are redundant ones, such as cdrom, cdrom0, cdrw, cdrw0, etc.

Here's my final stuff; it works, but I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way:

udev rule wrote:

ATTRS{model}=="SP0822N", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="torrenthd",
GROUP="storage",OPTIONS+="last_rule"

fstab wrote:

/dev/torrenthd         /mnt/torrent ext3   rw,user,auto            0      0

#4 2007-01-16 00:06:00

byte

If it's an Ext3 partition the most obvious way would be to just run 'chown youruser /mnt/hdmountpoint' after mounting.

#5 2007-01-16 00:34:46

RevertTS

Yeah, I did that somewhere along the way.  All the udev automounting's nice too, though.

However, I just realized what a terrible idea it is to try to torrent from an external USB drive, so I'll probably be scrapping everything.

Board footer