You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-12 04:19:52

vande198

portsupgrade for abs/pacman

I've been away from the forums for a bit, so maybe someone's already taken care of this one:

I'd really appreciate a util like freebsd's portsupgrade which would detect and automatically upgrade packages from source.  The nice thing in arch is that pacman does a fair amount of this via pacman -Syu.  Maybe one could expand pacman to handle not only binary packages, but to take over the source building of abs, sorta like gentoo's emerge.

just my 2 cents.

"To be a Spartan is to be a philosopher much more than to be an athlete."
Plato, the <i>Protagoras</i>, 342e-343a

#2 2004-04-12 04:36:50

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: portsupgrade for abs/pacman

I bet you could write wrappers to handle this for you, instead of changing the base tool.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-04-12 04:47:17

vande198

actually, using my limited knowledge of bash scripting I started to make a script that would create copies of all of my selected packages in a set of directories based on dependency heirarchy and the desired optimization flags.  From there, I was going to wrap makeworld to make each directory accordingly.  However, charting out all these dependencies got to be a bit tedious and unnecessary given the built-in dependency tracking in makepkg. 

Moreover, my scripting skills are pretty limited insofar as I have no formal training and have been around linux for only a year and a half or so.

The reason for my asking for such a tool is that I'm upgrading my old i586 laptop with freebsd with portsupgrade and, compared to upgrading via abs in arch, it's soooooo nice and easy.  Instead of doing every individual upgrade by hand, I like how I can just type in portsupgrade -a right before going to bed.  Instead of makepkg -bci && cd /var/abs/lib/glib2/ && makepkg -bci && cd ../ etc...

#4 2004-04-12 04:51:20

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Can't you just parse the output of pacman -Syu (and select no in the script) and then makepkg all of them?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-04-12 05:02:24

vande198

Of course I can, it's just that I find it tedious sometimes.

z.B:

[root@vande198 jake]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases... 
 current                  [################] 100%|     38K|   46.2K/s| 00:00:00
 extra                    [################] 100%|    130K|  103.6K/s| 00:00:01
 unstable                 [################] 100%|      1K|    4.1K/s| 00:00:00

Targets: flex-2.5.31-2 libtool-1.5.6-1

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] n
[root@vande198 jake]# cd /home/abs/base/flex/ && makepkg -bci && cd ../libtool/ && makepkg -bci

This one is pretty mild, but let's say there were 5 or 6 upgrades instead of two.  Depending on whether I know where the package is I might have to do some slocate work, then I'd have to string everything together on one line, etc, etc.  I'd be nice if we could have some added source features in pacman, whereby pacman -Byu would do the same thing as.....
(1) checking pacman -Syu
(2) typing abs
(3) doing all that stringing

In my everyday habits, I like to keep things simple so I can be lazy.  (which is how I end up staying up 7 nights in a row at the end of the semester to finish all my term papers).

Board footer