You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-16 13:21:49

foxbunny
Website

Finally, going 99.99% Windows-free!

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions... but as it turns out, I'm spending 99.99% of my personal computing time in Linux (not counting the 100% Linux-free environment at work, though). Thanks mostly to Arch Linux and its community, I have managed to set up a working and efficient DTP workflow based entirely around Arch Linux and free software tools.

The first trial was a bit rough. Sure, Linux tools have matured, but DTP on Linux? Makes you think twice. Still does. However, for enthusiasts that like to get their hands dirty it's still doable. This makes me glad for two reasons. I don't have to upgrade my hardware any more. smile And the other reason is, of course, I get to spend more time in Linux. big_smile

The reason I'm still dual booting is that I have some files I need to convert to SVG and I need to test the quality of PDFs created with Scribus until I have more confidence. Don't get me wrong, Scribus outputs PDFs like no other app. But it's just that I've been using Windows software for so long... just psychological I guess. I need to make sure. I'm planning on moving completely to Linux in a month or two, after I've completed a couple of projects.

Another thing I've been considerng is starting a consulting company with a person I've met recently. Although he is not member of any local LUG, he has been active on his own, and is now trying to convert his own printing plant to at least use Windows versions of free software if not convert to Linux entirely. He has asked my help in that department (although I don't know how much help would I be able to offer), and that seems like a nice start.

All in all, this year is definitely a WinBye win-win year. smile Hope it works out the same way for all you dual-boot folks out there!

#2 2007-01-16 18:18:08

Anonymo
Website

Re: Finally, going 99.99% Windows-free!

YEAH LINUX!!!

recycle-bill.jpg

Sorry guys, really hating microsoft today  roll

windows_petarded.png

#3 2007-01-17 06:44:13

chaosgeisterchen

Why not doing it in an virtual machine?

Or doesn't have your machine enough power to allow you that way of using Scribus.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#4 2007-01-17 09:22:13

foxbunny
Website

chaosgeisterchen wrote:

Why not doing it in an virtual machine?

Or doesn't have your machine enough power to allow you that way of using Scribus.

Wha? Why would I want a VM when Scribus runs happily and *natively* on Linux?

#5 2007-01-17 11:36:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

foxbunny wrote:

The reason I'm still dual booting is that I have some files I need to convert to SVG and I need to test the quality of PDFs created with Scribus until I have more confidence. Don't get me wrong, Scribus outputs PDFs like no other app. But it's just that I've been using Windows software for so long... just psychological I guess. I need to make sure. I'm planning on moving completely to Linux in a month or two, after I've completed a couple of projects.
there!

what's wrong with Adobe Reader? It should render PDF's identically to that on windows too.

James

#6 2007-01-17 14:38:36

foxbunny
Website

iphitus wrote:

what's wrong with Adobe Reader? It should render PDF's identically to that on windows too.

James

It has not prefilight options. Admittedly, preflight shows nothing but good results using Scribus' PDFs, so once I have full confidence in Scribus (which is currently around 99.99% I'm talking about), I will just free the BillyHD and have me some 160GB of free storage space. big_smile Can hardly wait!

#7 2007-01-17 14:40:32

foxbunny
Website

Anonymo wrote:

YEAH LINUX!!!

recycle-bill.jpg

Let me just Shift+Del instead.

:twisted:

#8 2007-01-17 21:12:15

tlaloc

If you are operating professional, you would want always have to get your stuff tested under Windows/Mac etc. Just to get sure, just to ensure that some does not buys you off your - professionalism, right? So in my eyes, you can never get beyond those 99,99%.

#9 2007-01-17 21:33:02

foxbunny
Website

tlaloc wrote:

If you are operating professional, you would want always have to get your stuff tested under Windows/Mac etc. Just to get sure, just to ensure that some does not buys you off your - professionalism, right? So in my eyes, you can never get beyond those 99,99%.

Not quite. I never tested things for Mac before. So I don't intend to test on any other OS once I'm satisfied Scribus indeed outputs at least 95% reliable PDFs. Plus, I don't really like the idea of Windows taking up 80Gb of space. smile

Board footer