You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-18 19:45:20

linfan

vlc-0.8.6a with --enable-mozilla

I have been trying to get vlc build the mozilla-plugin by adding --enable-mozilla to the PKGBUILD, but it won't work. The current vlc-0.8.5 has disabled the mozilla build due to build problems.

I wonder if anybody has succeeded in building the latest vlc-0.8.6a with --enable-mozilla? As I understand there is also a dependency to use faad2-cvs and optionally goom, but personally I don't need goom. Would just be nice to replace mplayer-plugin with vlc in firefox, as there are some .vmx, .vma sites that won't work with mplayer.

For the time being I must uninstall mplayer-plugin and then click on 'open with external application' and choose vlc, as mplayer-plugin overrides any other application and insists on handling it by itself and fails.

So, it would be nice to get vlc to override mplayer-plugin if they cannot get along side by side big_smile

linfan

#2 2007-01-19 11:15:01

linfan

Re: vlc-0.8.6a with --enable-mozilla

Thank you very much smile I got the package built and installed and it works as expected.

I had to do three things, though, to get it to build, which you did not inform:

1) cp over /var/abs/extra/multimedia/vlc/vlc.desktop
2) cp over /var/abs/extra/multimedia/vlc/vlc.install
to the PKGBUILD directory

and

3) uninstall seamonkey.

From my earlier contacts with videolan I was told I later can reinstall seamonkey, but that I have to uninstall it when running 'makepkg'.

Thanks once again.

linfan

#3 2007-01-19 14:07:57

linfan

Re: vlc-0.8.6a with --enable-mozilla

Well, after trying vlc out a bit, I have to admit, that it is very beta. It cannot handle quicktime correctly and there is no sound for .mov files. It also crashes FF frequently. Mplayer-plugin doesn't get along with it either. But it might as well be firefox that is crappy.

I edited the PKGBUILD and installed 0.8.6a, which is a bit more secure than 0.8.6, but it did not resolve the sound and crash problems.

So, I will continue with uninstalling and reinstalling mplayer-plugin when I need either vlc or mplayer. Anyway, it is better than nothing.

linfan

Board footer