You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-03 15:35:53

trey

Where did gnome-settings-daemon go?

Did an upgrade to gnome 2.6 from 2.4 using 'pacman -Syu' and now I no longer have the gnome-settings-daemon.  I had used this in KDE by referencing it in my ~/.kde/Autostart folder so that evolution and other gnome progs would maintain their settings in KDE.  Now on startup, I'm told the command is no longer found sad

Is this a known issue.  I've got other 2.6 issues (such as gdesklets and sound-juicer) not starting that I'lll try to dig into, but found it curious that the daemon was gone.

#2 2004-04-04 23:00:09

dp
Website

Re: Where did gnome-settings-daemon go?

i'm also wondering where the deamon went .... going to upgrade gome soon

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-04-05 00:15:10

trey

Yeah...seems there are still quite a number of issues with the upgrade.  I would appreciate anyone with more knowledge on the subject to shed some light on this.

Thanks.

#4 2004-04-06 16:44:52

trey

Anything new here on the gnome 2.6 front...specifically with the gnome-settings-daemon? :?

#5 2004-04-06 19:15:37

punkrockguy318
Website

Yeah, it doesn't work... At least for me.  "The Gnome settings daemon has restarted too many times.  Try logging out and trying again".  Whatever the gnome settings daemon is!! Pretty much nothing GNOME works for me, and no one seems to have an answer.  If things are working in 2.4, I would suggest staying until all the bugs get out of 2.6.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6 2004-04-06 19:18:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

There are answers, we just haven't gotten to testing and implementing them yet.  It doesn't help that the gnome maintainer is sick either.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2004-04-12 15:22:03

Evangel

The problem with the gnome-settings-daemon is a little one. I dont know where it was in the gnome 2.4 ports tree. But at the moment the gnome-settings-daemon may be found in /opt/gnome/libexec/ If you are not able to start it, you may choose to edit the gnome.sh in /etc/profile.d/.

replace line 2: export PATH=$PATH:$GNOMEDIR/bin
with: export PATH=$PATH:$GNOMEDIR/bin:$GNOMEDIR/libexec
(as root), log out, log in again and try starting it. now it will work.

bye,
Eve

#8 2004-04-12 16:13:17

zeppelin
Website

Evangel wrote:

The problem with the gnome-settings-daemon is a little one. I dont know where it was in the gnome 2.4 ports tree. But at the moment the gnome-settings-daemon may be found in /opt/gnome/libexec/ If you are not able to start it, you may choose to edit the gnome.sh in /etc/profile.d/.

replace line 2: export PATH=$PATH:$GNOMEDIR/bin
with: export PATH=$PATH:$GNOMEDIR/bin:$GNOMEDIR/libexec
(as root), log out, log in again and try starting it. now it will work.

bye,
Eve

this is yet another hack [after the one with the keyboard themes] for me.
Hope this one works too.
GNOME 2.6 was announced as a stable one or did it go to the TUR?. I understand that the gnome maintainer is sick and I wish him tons of health. I'm just asking about the process that was followed in order to hit the stable pkgs. [eventhough I Have to say I use TUR everyday..] but TUR/incoming and not working is somehow accepted easier tongue
I'm not complaining here, but I'm just pointing out that this is too Debian SID to be true for AL.
Judd read us!!! tongue

eve, do you happen to know why my theme change dialog doesn't load, why my keyboard doesn't allow holding and repeating?? {I HAVE TO press 2 times to have 2 times DEL for example. in the old days of GNOME 2.4 stable I could just hold DEL key}
I'm also having problems with mouse speed, not to mention that GNOME 2.6 doesn't let me change the background [yes it crashes, as yelp does, as all most of the stuff in Applications --> preferences]

#9 2004-04-12 18:31:15

Evangel

zeppelin wrote:

eve, do you happen to know why my theme change dialog doesn't load, why my keyboard doesn't allow holding and repeating?? {I HAVE TO press 2 times to have 2 times DEL for example. in the old days of GNOME 2.4 stable I could just hold DEL key}
I'm also having problems with mouse speed, not to mention that GNOME 2.6 doesn't let me change the background [yes it crashes, as yelp does, as all most of the stuff in Applications --> preferences]

sorry, i have no idea. gnome works perfectly for me. I do not have these problems.
What about some other desktops (kde, xfce ...)? Are there the same strange things like mouse speed and keyboard? If so, this seems to be not a gnome problem.

bye

#10 2004-04-12 19:19:29

zeppelin
Website

under KDE all things were fine. but I'm a GNOME addict neutral

#11 2004-04-12 19:30:28

Blaasvis

zeppelin, make sure you do not have any gnome 2.4 libs left on your system.

Freedom is what i love

#12 2004-04-12 19:50:20

dakor

dunno if you guys solved this but gnome-settings-deamon is not gone just relocated in gnome 2.6 its in /opt/gnome/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon there ya go tongue

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

#13 2004-04-13 09:37:31

zeppelin
Website

Blaasvis wrote:

zeppelin, make sure you do not have any gnome 2.4 libs left on your system.

I thought I had none.
But In the end I had  gnome-common-2.4.0-3 and  gnome-mime-data-2.4.1-3

a) i thought AL had an update for them
b) if not [and gnome-common become many packages] then I think that pacman should somehow either remove this automatically or say it has a conflict.

I was getting [i set the path but still]

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-settings-daemon. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

Type mismatch: Expected `int' got `float' for key /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/motion_threshold

I'm not sure that those 2 outdated pkgs was the problem. We'll see

Board footer