You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-16 14:02:41

spookykid

USplash/Splashy - Current status

I'd like to know the current status for USplash / Splashy integration in Arch. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? V0.8 it's almost released (i guess) and it would be a nice thing to have something to hide all boot messages from sight, i mean i don't need to see them every time i boot my computer and there is also very nice artwork to produce  a nice theme for Arch . Thank you in advance.

There is no knowledge that is not power!

#2 2007-01-16 14:40:27

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: USplash/Splashy - Current status

Iphitus has been working on it and apparently he is close to a release.  gensplash has been working fine for sometime but does require you to use the beyond kernel for the full benefits.  The silent mode can be used with the stock kernel but only kicks in after udev starts ><

#3 2007-01-16 21:38:36

iphitus
Forum Fellow

http://archlinux.org/~james/usplash

Things not done yet:
* Documentation
* No Arch theme
* Make usplash start 'earlier' in both init and initcpio
* Adjusting timeouts so usplash doesnt timeout when long fsck/network connection occurs.

If anyone does make an arch theme, use the pkgbuild for usplash-artwork-ubuntu and it's post install as the template for now.

Dtw: You can get the splash working before udev, however you need to create device nodes manually. this usplash setup doesnt show text/progress until after udev is done, though in an earlier version, I was able to create device nodes and have it working before.

Documentation for the moment:
* install all three.
* add "splash" to your kernel boot options
* add "quiet" if you don't want to see status text
* add "usplash" to mkinitcpio HOOKs, after "autodetect"
* regenerate your initcpio
* reboot

James

#4 2007-01-17 17:05:31

spookykid

Thank you for your quick reply. Here is my mockup of a theme proposal for USplash.
www.spookykid.net/extra/arch.jpg

Spent 15 minutes on it, trying to make it as simple as possible, maybe i need to pimp it up a little bit. Tell me what you think about it.

PS - Sorry for the image size.  roll

#5 2007-01-17 17:11:44

daedalusman

I'm liking it, spookykid. Maybe another one with a darker (blue) background would be cool as well. Good work for 15 mins, though.

#6 2007-01-17 17:17:01

baze

spookykid wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. Here is my mockup of a theme proposal for USplash.

Spent 15 minutes on it, trying to make it as simple as possible, maybe i need to pimp it up a little bit. Tell me what you think about it.

my thoughts on this:
- the progress bar should be blue
- the tangoish arch logo http://www.archlinux.org/media/logo.png looks better, imho wink
- the background is not that bad, but maybe create something using the colors from the website. that is the creme white and the blue gradient with white "archlinux" text.

actually, this would change almost anything from your theme, so i think it's better just to create another one with my ideas wink

splashscreens have always been something i've not been very happy with, because it required changing stuff in the kernel, but those new userspace solutions might turn out really nice and i think i'll use them, once they are mature enough smile

#7 2007-01-18 20:08:06

spookykid

Just to say i've updated my mockup. Still the same link  wink

#8 2007-01-18 22:06:38

Romashka
Forum Fellow

to live is to die

#9 2007-01-18 22:46:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Romashka: Ok, fixed, permissions again... doh smile

Baze: Great looking theme. Now make it into a usplash theme.

#10 2007-01-19 16:42:12

spookykid

Hi i'd like to know if the used version for Archlinux is the one used on Dapper Drake or the one on Edgy, because the implementation changed from one version to the other.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/USpla … ationHowto

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread. … ht=usplash

#11 2007-01-19 17:08:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Most likely it's the most recent version.  Arch doesn't do this whole static version think like debuntu.

#12 2007-01-19 21:08:15

baze

i'm currently working on a usplash theme which fit's my ideas, but i don't have that much time atm..
here's a preview: http://mant1core.de/archlinux.png

if anyone wants to help, here's the svg i used for the mockup so far: http://mant1core.de/archlinux.svg

#13 2007-01-19 23:09:43

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

spookykid wrote:

Wow, that looks perfect! Very nice. I can't wait.

#14 2007-01-20 00:52:05

cromo

Just to make things clear: are there any significant benefits of gensplash over usplash? Considering it's possible to put usplash into intocpio, it should start up quite early, so I see no real gensplash (with own kernel patches) advantage here. Any others?
I am asking because if usplash worked well enough it could eventually be accepted for the beyond kernel too I guess, thus having gensplash abandoned.
Even suspend2 supports usplash, so this should be fine for most users. Personally I experienced that the less frambuffer/gensplash stuff in kernel, the more  stable suspending2 is. Hence my suggestion.

#15 2007-01-20 00:54:55

spookykid

I'm not able to install USplash  :cry: I've read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS but can't seem to be able to install Iphitus's USplash packages. I've downloaded all files to /var/abs/local/ in their own directories, but when i try makepkg -f usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz it gives this error:
root /var/abs/local/usplash # makepkg -f usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz
==> Making package: usplash 0.4.33-1 (Sat Jan 20 01:51:05 WET 2007)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Missing Dependencies:
==>
requires: initscripts-usplash
==>
although i have them with all files in  their directories:

root /var/abs/local # ls
total 0
0 aurbuild  0 initscripts-usplash  0 usplash  0 usplash-artwork-ubuntu

and if i start with initscripts-usplash it complaints about missing usplash dependencies i'm sure the problem is that i don't know how to use aur/abs because i've never used it, only pacman  :cry:

If anybody could help me i would appreciate it  wink

#16 2007-01-20 00:59:30

ro0x

spookykid wrote:

I'm not able to install USplash  :cry: I've read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS but can't seem to be able to install Iphitus's USplash packages. I've downloaded all files to /var/abs/local/ in their own directories, but when i try makepkg -f usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz it gives this error:
root /var/abs/local/usplash # makepkg -f usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz
==> Making package: usplash 0.4.33-1 (Sat Jan 20 01:51:05 WET 2007)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Missing Dependencies:
==>
requires: initscripts-usplash
==>
although i have them with all files in  their directories:

root /var/abs/local # ls
total 0
0 aurbuild  0 initscripts-usplash  0 usplash  0 usplash-artwork-ubuntu

and if i start with initscripts-usplash it complaints about missing usplash dependencies i'm sure the problem is that i don't know how to use aur/abs because i've never used it, only pacman  :cry:

If anybody could help me i would appreciate it  wink

rtfm big_smile

download all files called *.pkg.tar.gz and install with the pacman -A command

#17 2007-01-20 01:13:53

spookykid

I've already tried that:
root /var/abs/local/usplash # pacman -A usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz
loading package data... done.
error: unsatisfied dependencies:
  usplash: requires initscripts-usplash

and when i go to initscripts-usplash:
root /var/abs/local/initscripts-usplash # pacman -A initscripts-usplash-0.8-2.pkg.tar.gz
loading package data... done.
error: unsatisfied dependencies:
  initscripts-usplash: requires usplash>=0.4

seems like a loop   :cry:
but thank you for your help

#18 2007-01-20 02:21:09

cromo

Try pacman -A usplash-0.4.33-1.pkg.tar.gz initscripts-usplash-0.8-2.pkg.tar.gz

#19 2007-01-20 06:00:16

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

spookykid wrote:

This is a package bug - this kind of cyclic dependency should not exist, and has been known to cause wierdness.  If you install both simultaneously it should work, but I think the PKGBUILDs should be modified to remove this cycle.

#20 2007-01-20 12:36:45

spookykid

Using cromo's way it works  yikes . Thank you cromo!

#21 2007-01-20 13:00:09

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Cerebral wrote:
spookykid wrote:

This is a package bug - this kind of cyclic dependency should not exist, and has been known to cause wierdness.  If you install both simultaneously it should work, but I think the PKGBUILDs should be modified to remove this cycle.

Yeah, i thought about that. Cyclic dependencies are bad.

But... at runtime, they do depend on each other. usplash is non-functional without the initscripts, and the initscripts work without usplash.... but they're usplash initscripts, so they kinda need usplash to do anything different. Get what I mean?

I'll remove the usplash dependency from initscripts-usplash, that way people can still pacman -S usplash when it hits the repos.

cromo: Gensplash can also work at the initcpio level. It only requires the kernel patch so it can set the background of the terminal. The main benefit of Gensplash, is that it's config files are easier to deal with, otherwise i'd consider it game, set, match to usplash. All the same, dtw has worked hard setting up gensplash, so don't pass it off just yet. It's still a very functional setup, and in terms of reliability, my usplash scripts still need a little bit of work.

James

#22 2007-01-20 16:16:34

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus wrote:

But... at runtime, they do depend on each other. usplash is non-functional without the initscripts, and the initscripts work without usplash.... but they're usplash initscripts, so they kinda need usplash to do anything different. Get what I mean?

I'll remove the usplash dependency from initscripts-usplash, that way people can still pacman -S usplash when it hits the repos.

I understand your reasoning behind the deps - that much was clear to me from the start, and that's why I didn't say which dep should be removed, 'cause I was unsure.  However, on further thought, I agree removing it from initscripts-usplash seems best, IMO.

#23 2007-01-20 21:22:06

freigeist

cromo wrote:

Just to make things clear: are there any significant benefits of gensplash over usplash? Considering it's possible to put usplash into intocpio, it should start up quite early, so I see no real gensplash (with own kernel patches) advantage here. Any others?
I am asking because if usplash worked well enough it could eventually be accepted for the beyond kernel too I guess, thus having gensplash abandoned.
Even suspend2 supports usplash, so this should be fine for most users. Personally I experienced that the less frambuffer/gensplash stuff in kernel, the more  stable suspending2 is. Hence my suggestion.

These are the advantages of gensplash in my opinion:
More than 256 colors possible
Supports any kind of resolution not only 4:3
Easy configuration through textfiles
Easy verbose console splash images

These are the advantages of usplash in my opinion:
Wider extend able through C Source codes

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#24 2007-01-23 14:40:06

T-u-N-i-X
Website

iphitus, is usplash the continue project for splashy ? And is it better than gensplash ? or what's the benefits of using usplash ? Will it be default with the 0.8 Voodoo release ? smile and are we going to have it with the default kernel after a normal upgrade ?

I'm using gensplash with beyond right now but not very happy with it since it's has some problems.. :S

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#25 2007-01-26 20:06:36

Romashka
Forum Fellow

baze wrote:

i'm currently working on a usplash theme which fit's my ideas, but i don't have that much time atm..
here's a preview: http://mant1core.de/archlinux.png

Looks nice. Especially considering the fact that background colours are pretty similar to my country's flag. tongue

to live is to die

Board footer