You are not logged in.

#26 2004-04-12 09:23:52

BigBadPenguin

Re: Using Nautilus in XFce4

looks like there's a new gtk package, so i'll try that first, when it arrives. Thanks, I might still ask you mail the old one. TheRaginAsian: I think this is maybe a little off topic, but still discussing nautilus working properly outside of the gnome environment (just kahakai, in my case, not xfce4). It just happens to work sub-correctly for me in gnome as well  wink
But thanks blaasvis. I wondered if it might be a daemon i needed to run, i just hadn't got around to working it out yet. wink

#27 2004-04-12 13:26:53

BigBadPenguin

:oops:  Now I feel stupid. It was, of course, xfce-mcs-manager, that was fouling things up, just like it was for xfce users. I often forget the side-effects of running an xfce-panel as well as a gnome-panel. Thanks all for your help!

#28 2004-04-13 03:19:54

TheRaginAsian
Website

So wait a minute, I need to either pick running gnome-settings-daemon and not run xfce4-settings-daemon or just not using nautilus at all? If I don't run xfce4-settings-daemon wont I not have the settings I need for xfce4? So confused!

John Gallias
Technician/Friend/Bassist
http://www.concretearmy.com
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com
Arch Linux v0.7 (Wombat), XFce 4.2, XOrg, Firefox

#29 2004-04-13 06:45:08

Blaasvis

exactly as you said.
i won't support it, it isn't a package bug. If you might find a solution i might implement it.

Freedom is what i love

#30 2004-04-13 08:54:53

BigBadPenguin

have you tried it though? I'm not running xfce4 completely, but if i run the panel with gnome-settings-daemon running, and xfce4-mcs-mnager not running, xfce4-panel picks up on my gnome settings and uses them instead. It's all gtk2 isn't it? I'm not sure. Anyway, you'll find gnome-settings daemon in /gnomepath/libexec/. Give it a try.

#31 2004-04-13 23:55:12

kakabaratruskia

It worked pretty good. Also, now I can use the desktop, without using rox.
I was wondering if there was a way to run nautilus only in the desktop (without running the file manager)

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#32 2004-04-14 05:56:12

TheRaginAsian
Website

BigBadPenguin wrote:

have you tried it though? I'm not running xfce4 completely, but if i run the panel with gnome-settings-daemon running, and xfce4-mcs-mnager not running, xfce4-panel picks up on my gnome settings and uses them instead. It's all gtk2 isn't it? I'm not sure. Anyway, you'll find gnome-settings daemon in /gnomepath/libexec/. Give it a try.

Does does this mean you have basically achieved getting a nautilus with working icons by running gnome-settings-daemon instead of xfce4-mcs-manager? If this is the case then could you please explain to me how to make this happen on my system? I have tried editing my .xinitrc file to no avail to try and do what your talking about. Thanks.

John Gallias
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com

#33 2004-04-14 11:15:33

BigBadPenguin

TheRaginAsian wrote:

Does does this mean you have basically achieved getting a nautilus with working icons by running gnome-settings-daemon instead of xfce4-mcs-manager? If this is the case then could you please explain to me how to make this happen on my system? I have tried editing my .xinitrc file to no avail to try and do what your talking about. Thanks.

Yes. I'm not entirely sure how XFCE4 handles its start up, but I do see an xinitrc in /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4/ which seems to run xfce4-mcs-manager. Try commenting that out (or if you have a ~/.xfce4/xinitrc use that instead) and putting /opt/gnome/libexec/gnome-settings-manager above that line. I don't know if this will work! I don't have XFCE4 fully installed, I run the xfce panel and the gnome panel from my WM. If it helps, here's the autostart from my WM.

launch /opt/gnome/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
launch gnome-panel
launch gdesklets
sleep 20
launch xfce4-panel

I had to put that "sleep" in to stop xfce4-panel starting up before gnome-settings-daemon was fully running. I should think you won't have to do this. I checked, if gnome-settings daemon is fully running, xfce4-mcs-manager, when run, simply won't start. Good luck! Let me know if it works. I hope there are no side effects from not running mcs-manager inside a full xfce4 desktop.

#34 2004-04-14 23:22:47

kakabaratruskia

this is my /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4/xinitrc

#!/bin/sh

xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name watch

# fix broken $UID on some system...
if test "x$UID" = "x"; then
    UID=`id -u`
fi

# Those are my settings, change them as appropriate...
# Xft DPI: 96
# Xft.hintstyle: hintnone/hintslight/hintmedium/hintfull
# Xft hinting: 1/0

xrdb -nocpp -merge - << EOF
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
EOF

test -f $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
# Uncomment this if you want to load Xresources and/or Xdefaults
# test -f $HOME/.Xresources && xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources
# test -f $HOME/.Xdefaults && xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

# Launch xscreensaver (if available), but only as non-root user
test $UID -gt 0 && test -z $VNCSESSION && xscreensaver -no-splash &

# Run xfce4-session if installed
xfcesm=`which xfce4-session`
case "x$xfcesm" in
    x|xno*)
        ;;
    *)
        exec $xfcesm
        # Shouldn't get there, but anyway...
        exit
        ;;
esac

# or use old-fashioned startup script otherwise
xfwm4 --daemon
killall xfce-mcs-manager&
/opt/gnome/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon&
nautilus&
acme&

# Start-up stuff from ~/Desktop/Autostart directory, if it exists
# (as it seems to be the new standard)
if test -d "$HOME/Desktop/Autostart"; then
  for i in `ls -1 -L ${HOME}/Desktop/Autostart/ 2>/dev/null`; do
    if test -x $HOME/Desktop/Autostart/$i; then
      $HOME/Desktop/Autostart/$i &
    fi
  done
fi

xftaskbar4&
#xfdesktop&

panel=`which xfce4-panel`
case "x$panel" in
    x|xno*)
        ;;
    *)
        $panel
        ret=$?
        while test $ret -ne 0; do
            xmessage -center -file - -timeout 20 -title Error <<EOF
A crash occured in the panel
Please report this to the xfce4-dev@moongroup.com list
Meanwhile the panel will be restarted
EOF
            cat >&2 <<EOF
A crash occured in the panel
Please report this to the xfce4-dev@moongroup.com list
Meanwhile the panel will be restarted
EOF
            $panel
            ret=$?
        done
        ;;
esac
xsetroot -bg white -fg red  -solid black -cursor_name watch

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#35 2004-05-05 13:10:04

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Maybe try Rox...... smile

Mr Green

Mr Green

#36 2004-06-28 15:38:47

Moo-Crumpus

TheRaginAsian wrote:

.. although I still don't know why I cant see my removable drives in "Computer". I can when I'm in root!

The gnome Computer object wants to read the /etc/fstab to get device names and mount points. If it can't, it will only show you the file system itself, /.

Check if users have permission to read /etc/fstab. Depending of the file system, or of root's fstab tweakage, the permission could have been canceled. I installed arch several times, and in most cases I had to do a chmod +r /etc/fstab, to give users the permissions back.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#37 2004-07-04 23:46:47

soffcore

Hello there,

I have a way how to show icons in nautilus with out loading the gnome-settings-daemon and keeping the xfce-mcs-manager.

Now keep in mind I am using XFCE4 the cvs version, but the steps should be the same either way.  Go to your ~/.xfce4/settings directory and edit the gtk.xml file, specifically the following line:

<option name="Net/IconThemeName" type="string" value="Bluecurve"/>

As you can see I am using Bluecurce (got bluecurve from fedora core2 download side - redhatartwork) extracted and un tar'd it .. etc. etc.. either way.. any theme you spcify should work wink

#38 2004-07-05 04:23:14

TheRaginAsian
Website

Pink Chick wrote:
TheRaginAsian wrote:

.. although I still don't know why I cant see my removable drives in "Computer". I can when I'm in root!

The gnome Computer object wants to read the /etc/fstab to get device names and mount points. If it can't, it will only show you the file system itself, /.

Check if users have permission to read /etc/fstab. Depending of the file system, or of root's fstab tweakage, the permission could have been canceled. I installed arch several times, and in most cases I had to do a chmod +r /etc/fstab, to give users the permissions back.

Thank you very much, I have been wondering what was up with that.

John Gallias
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com

#39 2004-07-05 04:25:21

TheRaginAsian
Website

soffcore wrote:

Hello there,

I have a way how to show icons in nautilus with out loading the gnome-settings-daemon and keeping the xfce-mcs-manager.

Now keep in mind I am using XFCE4 the cvs version, but the steps should be the same either way.  Go to your ~/.xfce4/settings directory and edit the gtk.xml file, specifically the following line:

<option name="Net/IconThemeName" type="string" value="Bluecurve"/>

As you can see I am using Bluecurce (got bluecurve from fedora core2 download side - redhatartwork) extracted and un tar'd it .. etc. etc.. either way.. any theme you spcify should work wink

What your speaking of sounds very interesting to me, ill have to try it, thank your for the input...

btw, you say you got bluecurve working... well, Ive tried all your talking about and still cannot EVER get bluecurve to work. I know it's a lot to ask but could you post some steps as to get it working? If it'd too much don't worry about it, but yeah Ive tried so many times to get Bluecurve working that i just give up.

John Gallias
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com

#40 2004-07-05 05:07:29

soffcore

Ok, well here is what I did to get bluecurve working:

1.) U need to have the redhat art work (for the gtk and metacity themes) some people say get the source rpms and I say who cares? its only themes and graphics so feel free to get the binaries wink (HERE)

2.) Do the good ole "pacman -S rpmunpack" so you can decompress the rpm in to a gz file.  The of course you will want to run "rpmunpack package.name.that.udownloaded.rpm" and that will give you the package.name.that.udownloaded.cpio.gz file.

3.) To decompress the gziped cpio file use the following command :

gunzip -dc package.name.that.udownloaded.cpio.gz | cpio -iv

This will decompress the file to the redhat art work tar file.

4.) Now if you are lazy like me wink and want to have everything untar'd to the default locations simply change to root, copy the tar over to the root "/" drive and uncompress :

tar xf package.name.that.udownloaded.tar

it will shove all the art packs to /usr/share/themes where the gtk themes are stored by default.   As well as the cursor pack (found in /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve) wink

5.) To get metacity to use the Bluecurve theme you aren't quiet done just yet.  In the /opt/gnome/share/themes directory create a new directory called Bluecurve:

6.) Now, simple move the metacity-1 directory from /usr/share/themes/Bluecurve in to /opt/gnome/share/themes/Bluecurve and then edit the xinitrc found in /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4 and change the line of :

"xfwm4 --daemon" to "#xfwm4 --daemon" and add "metacity&" underneath it somewhere, then you are done smile

Now to get Bluecurve-classic to work with metacity just move the whole directory (all that it has in it is the metacity themes) of Bluecurve-classic from /usr/share/themes to /opt/gnome/share/themes . Now you have the gtk themes and meta city themes of Bluecurve installed smile  Just change the settings of metacity the easy way by launching gnome-control-center and change the window border theme.  If you want to change the gtk theme u have to remember to change the line in your ~/.xfce4/settings/gtk.xml file to reflect the name (proper case is important) of the gtk theme you wish to use with xfce smile

If you want the ultra niffty cursor theme to work simply copy the directory of /usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/cursors to ~/.icons/default so you have a new directory called ~/.icons/default/cursors

And that is how you get Bluecurve to work with out loading the nasty gnome-settings-daemon smile  If you want the unfedora-ized version of their default background go to www.soffcore.com and hit my download section wink I'll put it up momentarily!

Hope that answers your questions:

-soco-

Maybe the powers at be can put this in the HOWTO section of the wiki? or, should I just add it meself?

#41 2004-08-15 17:58:59

kakabaratruskia

I've just realized, that the problem is that xfce-mcs-manager does not look for icon themes in /usr/share/icons, but only in ~/.icons. If you copy /usr/share/icons to ~/.icons, and you choose then an icon theme from the user interface config in xfce settings, nautilus will work fine (without loading the gnome lib).  Only some icon themes work.
Maybe xfce-mcs-manager could be rebuilt to look for icons in /usr/share/icons.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#42 2004-08-17 20:17:56

hypermegachi

btw, if you want partitions to display in "computer" for nautilus, you need to change all of your partition entries in /etc/fstab to have a "users" in there.  also, you need to change permissions on /etc/fstab to allow regular users to read it.  default only root can read fstab.

Board footer