You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-20 21:11:32

ravycavy

slow internet problem

hello,

i'm having a strange problem with the internet on my new computer.
I installed archlinux from the new tpowa 0.7.2 iso en used it happily for about a week with openbox. Then i decided since i have a new computer, i should try kde.
I folowed the wiki here on installing kde and everything was fine exept very,very slow internet. Before in openbox everything was fine and fast. But after the install of kde also internet in openbox was slow.
So just for testing i decided not load the hal and dbus deamons at startup. And now im having my internet back to normal speed both in kde as in openbox.
But I don't think hal and dbus should stay disabled when using kde, since the wiki said i had to add them to my rc.conf

#2 2006-12-21 16:49:06

Crooksey
Website

Re: slow internet problem

Best thing to do is run a bandwidth speed test via an online webpage, if they differ under diffrent deamons then its an OS problem, your line may have been temporarily malfunctioning.

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#3 2006-12-21 22:40:07

ravycavy

wel i've tried it several times with hal and dbus enabled/disabled in short intervals. And always when they are enabled it's slow as hell. And i have a laptop runnin windows and my internet is always fast over there. So i realy think it's an OS problem.

#4 2006-12-22 02:19:58

lumiwa

ravycavy wrote:

wel i've tried it several times with hal and dbus enabled/disabled in short intervals. And always when they are enabled it's slow as hell. And i have a laptop runnin windows and my internet is always fast over there. So i realy think it's an OS problem.

I had the same problem and I don't know why but it gone by itself.
I don;t know if help you: I have in modprobe.conf alias net-pf-10 off

#5 2006-12-22 22:41:10

ravycavy

wel i've added the folowing lines to my modprobe.conf
alias net-pf-10 ipv6 off
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

and not much changed.:cry:
I've noticed that it stays slow. its not only the request that's slow. When i try to download something under arch i get 8 k/s max. When i try the same download on my laptop i get more than 300 k/s.
When i disable the hal & dbus deamons in rc.conf i also get full speed internet. Maybe my is there something in my hardware that isn't supported yet in those deamons.

hardware listing:
INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 (Socket 775, 2.4GHz, FSB1066, 4MB Cache, Boxed)     
ANTEC Sonata II
KINGSTON ValueRam 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 PC2-4200 CL4
SEAGATE Barracuda 320GB (7200.10, 7200RPM, SATA-II, 16MB)
XFX GeForce 7600GS (PCI-E, 256MB DDR2, TV-Out, Dual DVI, Passive) (UDJ3)    
MSI P965 Platinum (Socket 775, Intel P965, DDR2, PCI-E, SATA, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, Firewire)
NEC AD-7173A 18x DVD+/-RW 8x DL 5x DVD-RAM + Labelflash

#6 2007-01-12 17:19:51

davidwillis

Mine has been fast up until just a few days ago.  I am not sure if it is because I did a pacman -Syu, or if it is because I was trying to set up a server on my machine.  But it is driveing me crazy.  The strange thing, is the speed test say it is fast.  Also, it is slow when I go to a new site, like google, but then it will search and work fast as long as I am on that site.  But then if I move to a new site, like Arch linux, it is slow until it loads.  But then I can go around fast here, until I move on to a new site.

#7 2007-01-12 17:32:27

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

davidwillis wrote:

Mine has been fast up until just a few days ago.  I am not sure if it is because I did a pacman -Syu, or if it is because I was trying to set up a server on my machine.  But it is driveing me crazy.  The strange thing, is the speed test say it is fast.  Also, it is slow when I go to a new site, like google, but then it will search and work fast as long as I am on that site.  But then if I move to a new site, like Arch linux, it is slow until it loads.  But then I can go around fast here, until I move on to a new site.

sad

I had the same problem, and I think it is fixed now. I did 2 things, so I am not yet sure which one fixed it.
First: I changed the name in my /etc/hosts from "localhost" to match the hostname I have in /etc/rc/conf. (In my case, my hostname is "darktower")

Second: I added portmap daemon to /etc/rc.conf daemons section.
Give em a shot!

#8 2007-01-22 21:44:33

ravycavy

wel i've done both, and finaly it just works
added portmap to rc.conf
edited /etc/hosts

and did a pacman -Syu.
Now everything works just fine and fast.
Thx a lot

#9 2007-01-22 22:53:47

davidwillis

I tried both, but it is still slow.  Here is the strange thing.  I tried booting up slackware, which has been fast before.  and it is slow too.  Then I tried pclinuxos, and it is fast, just like it has always been.  I really have no idea why.

#10 2007-01-23 00:05:52

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

davidwillis wrote:

I tried both, but it is still slow.  Here is the strange thing.  I tried booting up slackware, which has been fast before.  and it is slow too.  Then I tried pclinuxos, and it is fast, just like it has always been.  I really have no idea why.

I started a thread about this in the networking section, and have gotten some good feedback from the community, which I have not, as of yet, been able to implement. Check it out.
Thread name is Poor Networking performance.
wink

#11 2007-01-23 03:39:21

Snarkout

Misfit138 wrote:

sad

I had the same problem, and I think it is fixed now. I did 2 things, so I am not yet sure which one fixed it.
First: I changed the name in my /etc/hosts from "localhost" to match the hostname I have in /etc/rc/conf. (In my case, my hostname is "darktower")

Give em a shot!

You still need/want a localhost line in your /etc/hosts - you can add other lines, but that one should stay.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#12 2007-01-23 19:17:51

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Snarkout wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

sad

Give em a shot!

You still need/want a localhost line in your /etc/hosts - you can add other lines, but that one should stay.

I completely agree with snarkout.

Just add the hostname after localhost like this :

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    localhost yourhostname

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#13 2007-01-23 20:19:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Snarkout wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

sad

Give em a shot!

I completely agree with snarkout.

Just add the hostname after localhost like this :

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    localhost yourhostname

Sorry to post misinformation like that sad  I have been battling this slow network problem for a while, and I hastily posted that message after I thought I had it resolved. I really do think I have it licked now, thanks to the community's help. Those who responded suggested it was a DNS issue, and merely plugging DNS ip(s) into my router seems to have solved it. I started another thread about it in the networking section, (Poor networking performance thread) and davidwillis indicates his issue is solved as well.

Board footer