You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-04 13:05:54

thinux

Filesystem check failed

Today I upgrade the kernel to 2.6.19,but when I reboot it,I get such information:

/dev/sda3
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else). then the superblock
is corrupt,and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193    <device>
                                                                    [FAIL]
*********************FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED **************
*    Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root *
*    file system is currently mounted read-only.To remount *
*    it read write type:    mount -n -o remount,rw /          *
*     When you exit the maintenance shell the system will   *
*    reboot automatically.                                 *

Press enter for maintenance
(or type Control D to continue)
[root@(none)~]# cd /
[root@(none) /]# mount -n -o remount,rw /
mount:invalid option -n
[root@(none) /]# _

The above information is from my vmware-station,and in my own linux system I got the same,what should I do?
Can I use a livecd to mkinitcpio to rescue the system?

#2 2006-12-04 15:40:51

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: Filesystem check failed

It is possible when you have IDE disk and changed hda to sda in fstab and grub/lilo config but forgot to change ide to pata in mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild init image.

to live is to die

#3 2006-12-05 01:06:52

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

You want to keep the device read-only for a filesystem check. If you use grub append S to your kernel line to boot into single user mode. Then you can remount / as read-only:

mount -o remount,ro /dev/sda3

then run your e2fsck command.

#4 2006-12-21 14:05:23

mrvw0169

Is there any other reason for this problem? I am experiencing this as well... I've regenerated with mkinitcpio (and made sure the right image was being loaded) with pata, but that made no difference... e2fsck yields the same error, even with the 8193 superblock...

It has been working fine (I installed with the new iso's last month w/ 2.16.19) with the hda->sda change until today... I get the same error if I use the fallback or the kernel off the cd as well... Any tips?

#5 2006-12-21 17:38:26

mrvw0169

I just realized that now the file system error happens before udev has even started and then it drops me into maintenence mode... I can't do e2fsck or mkfs.ext3 -n /dev/sda7 because the corresponding device node doesn't exist yet... The only nodes were console, null, and a third one but I forget...

My grub and fstab seem to be correct (I just verified and they worked before)... Any help please (having the /dev/sda7 node would be nice as I can't do anything without it)? I'm using an Intel chipset and I've tried various combinations of pata/ide/piix/etc in my mkinitcpio.conf (and generated the images of course)...

I'm still searching through gentoo forums (I've tried everything I could find in arch forums) -- The partition seems also to be intact as it is accessible to me with livecd (I even chrooted and pacman -Syu) and through ext2ifs w/ vi on my Windows 2003 partition...

Thanks

#6 2006-12-21 18:44:17

mrvw0169

Well, nevermind this... I've spent too much time and will instead reinstall with the new 0.8 isos which seem to help with the transition to PATA...

#7 2007-01-25 08:47:36

tunkaflux

I am having the exact same problem.  Upgraded via pacman and now everytime I start I get the above error message...

Does anybody know what's going on?

#8 2007-01-25 23:08:36

kozaki
Website

Guess I've got same issue on a small Dell Latitude L400 after updating from 2.6.19-1 to latest kernel & mkinitcpio.

I'd rather say it *may be* same issue since Udev starts, & my custom kernel-2.6.19-morph show exactly the same error.

Will go on trying to find more about this.

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

Board footer