You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-24 07:01:24

braver

loadable firmware, kernel build outside source and patching

Greetings -- which package do I need to get Atmel wifi loadable firmware?

On SuSE and Gentoo, I see the module firmware_class loaded.  How do I know Arch kernel has it compiled in/or not, and how do I recompile the kernel with loadable firmware support if necessary? 

When I do it, I like to compile my kernel outside source with make O=/build/dir menuconfig in source once, and make oldconfig, make in /build/dir afterwards.  How does one recompile the kernel on Arch, and is the above compatible?

I also like the vesafb-ng patch, reiser4, and some other kernel patches -- how do we do that on Arch?

#2 2007-01-24 07:32:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: loadable firmware, kernel build outside source and patching

braver wrote:

Greetings -- which package do I need to get Atmel wifi loadable firmware?

On SuSE and Gentoo, I see the module firmware_class loaded.  How do I know Arch kernel has it compiled in/or not, and how do I recompile the kernel with loadable firmware support if necessary? 

When I do it, I like to compile my kernel outside source with make O=/build/dir menuconfig in source once, and make oldconfig, make in /build/dir afterwards.  How does one recompile the kernel on Arch, and is the above compatible?

I also like the vesafb-ng patch, reiser4, and some other kernel patches -- how do we do that on Arch?

What amtel chipset? at76c503a-cvs is in unstable.
If you want vesafb-tng and reiser4, and other patches, see kernel26beyond. vesafb-tng may be back in 2.6.20...

James

#3 2007-01-26 08:26:22

braver

Re: loadable firmware, kernel build outside source and patching

How do I get that firmware with pacman?

My Atmel is an internal PCI wifi in Compaq TC1000.  Both SuSE and Gentoo seem to know about it -- they load modules firmware_class, and the firmware is in /lib/modules/ in them.

There's the original tar at thekelleys.org.uk/atmel, but that requires hotplug, and for some reason pacman -Ss hotplug returns nothing to me now!  ??

Board footer