You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-27 14:58:05

strummer

New kernel and problems installing nvidia-legacy drivers

I just compiled new kernel, and I can't install nvidia-legacy drivers properly. Pacman installs them, but the module (nvidia.ko) goes to /lib/modules/2.6.19-ARCH, and I want it to 2.6.19.2.. It doesn't work if I just copy the module..

I've compiled kernel many times without problems when I was still using Slackware.  So, what do I need to configure to use the new module directory? I Propably made some small/stupid mistake..

I tried legacy drivers from nvidia.com, but they didnt compile.. weird, gonna try that again too..

P4 530J, Arch Linux

#2 2007-01-27 18:02:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: New kernel and problems installing nvidia-legacy drivers

You need to install the nvidia drivers, or any other non-kernel drivers, specifically for the kernel you are using. Arch packages the nvidia drivers to work with the Arch kernel packages, and the "Arch way" to deal with your situation is to modify the appropriate PKGBUILD to match your kernel, create a custom package with makepkg, and install it with pacman.

You can also use the nvidia installer, but in that case the nvidia files installed on your system will not be under pacman's control.

Board footer