You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-26 02:00:45

Master One

Which daemons to start on boot?

I just installed Arch + XFCE4.4.0, and looking into my /etc/rc.d folder, I am unsure about the following daemons, which I did not start by now:

avahi-daemon
avahi-dnsconfd
I started both daemon manually and tried to start the Avahi Zeroconf Browser from the System Menu, but nothing happened.

esd
Do I need esd if I have Alsa?

fam
Is it true,  that Thunar needs FAM running?

heimdal-kdc
Heimdal has something to do with encryption, but what this for?

hwd
I guess I do not need this one, if I have MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in /etc/rc.conf, right?

kadmind
kpasswd
nscd
slpd
No idea, what these are for.

Can somebody enlighten me, which of these I should start at boot?

#2 2007-01-26 02:15:08

stingray

Re: Which daemons to start on boot?

Here is a thread that I ran across earlier today looking for something else.  It might help on some of the them...

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=22380

#3 2007-01-26 08:12:04

Master One

I already have seen the other thread, but that one didn't really help.

It would be nice, if this issue would be documented in the wiki, I think a lot of people are wondering what to activate.

#4 2007-01-26 08:53:45

xabbott
Website

Master One wrote:

I already have seen the other thread, but that one didn't really help.

It would be nice, if this issue would be documented in the wiki, I think a lot of people are wondering what to activate.

Start editing? http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Daemons

Also it's not hard to find out what you need. If something complains about something you can just manually load the service then add it to rc.conf.

#5 2007-01-27 19:23:25

skymt

I'll try to answer:

Master One wrote:

avahi-daemon
avahi-dnsconfd
I started both daemon manually and tried to start the Avahi Zeroconf Browser from the System Menu, but nothing happened.

Do you have any programs that use Zeroconf? If not, don't bother. Zeroconf isn't currently used much outside of the Mac world.

esd
Do I need esd if I have Alsa?

Not unless you have any programs that need esd. As I recall, the Gnome desktop uses esd to play those annoying interface sounds, but other than that, the world has moved on to ALSA.

fam
Is it true,  that Thunar needs FAM running?

No. Thunar will use FAM if it's running, to keep track of changes in open folders.

heimdal-kdc
Heimdal has something to do with encryption, but what this for?

It's a Key Distribution Center (server) for the Kerberos protocol. If you don't know whether you need it, you probably don't.

hwd
I guess I do not need this one, if I have MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in /etc/rc.conf, right?

I don't have it, and my hardware all works. I guess if you change hardware frequently it might be useful to detect at startup, otherwise it seems redundant.

kadmind
kpasswd
nscd
slpd
No idea, what these are for.

kadmind and kpasswd also have to do with Kerberos.

nscd is, according to the manpage:

...a  daemon that provides a cache for the most common name service requests.

It's probably a good thing to have, as it can speed up some fairly common tasks like DNS resolution and user info lookup.

slpd seems to be related to Zeroconf.

Board footer