You are not logged in.

#76 2007-01-30 01:01:30

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: punbb transfer

I hear some company in redmond makes an OS that has lots of people using it too...
wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#77 2007-01-30 01:42:01

scarney

looks great and is very fast!...i like fast! 8)

#78 2007-01-30 04:20:49

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

cactus wrote:

I hear some company in redmond makes an OS that has lots of people using it too...
wink

Good grief, that was original......... roll

#79 2007-01-30 10:50:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

crouse wrote:
cactus wrote:

wink

Good grief, that was original......... roll

Yeah, but a key point: popularity != quality

Also, I'd appreciate not being misquoted, I said "fundamentally rubbish" not "total crap".  Fundamentally in that the code is a mess and is being scrapped.

#80 2007-01-30 14:55:34

patroclo7

The new forum works incredibly well also on mobile browsers, while the old version was very confusing there. I tried it in Opera Mini and in native browsers for Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#81 2007-01-30 17:52:32

chaosgeisterchen

patroclo7 wrote:

The new forum works incredibly well also on mobile browsers, while the old version was very confusing there. I tried it in Opera Mini and in native browsers for Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones.

Could be that it's coded more clearly? I do not have deeper knowledge about either phpbb or punbb, but they seem to work fine, both of them.

Hopefully, the few missing functions of punbb will be implemented in near future.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#82 2007-01-30 17:55:20

fk

chaosgeisterchen wrote:
patroclo7 wrote:

Could be that it's coded more clearly? I do not have deeper knowledge about either phpbb or punbb, but they seem to work fine, both of them.

Hopefully, the few missing functions of punbb will be implemented in near future.

Yes it's coded near the standard , and without Layout Tables...

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#83 2007-01-30 18:43:50

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

chaosgeisterchen wrote:

People don't seem to misunderstand that this is not a replacement for phpbb but a change of direction.  I sincerely doubt that bells and whistles will be forthcoming.  One mod we may see is an integrated search box.  We may also see some re-jigging of links and some formatting changes, I would not hold my breath for any more than that.  I'm not sure anyone considers the PM facility essential, which is the only major thing that I can see missing.

#84 2007-01-30 19:03:33

manmower

The way posts are being flagged as read is still a bit bizarre to me. I can work around it, but I really think this implementation makes no sense at all (from my perspective at least). Other than that it's been smooth sailing so far.

#85 2007-01-30 19:04:18

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I miss PM's ;-(

Last edited by Mr Green (2007-01-30 19:05:00)

Mr Green

#86 2007-01-30 19:07:42

Lone_Wolf

The major thing i'm missing has to do with the 'new posts' issue.
I've read the explanation on this board and the punbb forum, but having to keep track of what i've read myself makes reading this forum a lot harder.

If it was possible to mark topics read per  sub-forum (like newbie corner) i could live with it.
So i hope they implement sub forums soon ...

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#87 2007-01-30 21:04:26

Pablo_Escobar
Website

I like the switch but I have the same issue as Lone_wolf - new posts issue smile

Arch - Home sweet home smile

#88 2007-01-30 21:50:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Mr Green wrote:

I miss PM's ;-(

we have something better, use the email form instead.

#89 2007-01-30 22:35:38

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

ummmmm I hate to be the one disagreeing all the time, especially being the new guy on the block and all ...... but.....

Exactley HOW is email better for the users of the forum ?
Now... any joe blow that gets irritated can open up an account and spam my email in box....
Now.... I HAVE to open up my email to see any messages that pertain to THIS forum ..... instead of being all in one place.

There is ALWAYs more than one perspective on an issue.

From a USER's  perspective (mine anyway),  I would NOT agree that punbb is better than phpbb.

From a website administrators perspective, maybe..... but I'm pretty used to phpbb, so that's what I use.  phpBB3 will probably (i hope) be alot better code and compete even better with the likes of vbulletin.    I use (and recommend) phpBB because it's Open Source and has a feature set that rivals Vbulletin. No other forum software that i am aware of can say that. In it's current state, phpBB2 is old code, and about all they have done for it is to patch security holes. They do that well , patch security holes i mean. 99.99% of the time, forums are hacked because webmasters don't do the updates as they become available. phpBB3 is a different beast. I think both are amazing pieces of software, and I refuse to call them "fundamentally rubbish" or anything of the sort. I have ran many different types of forum software, including punbb. When I ran punbb in 2004/2005 punbb wasn't stable and was not easily upgraded, was coded by 1 person, and had security issues of it's own. I have ran phpBB for over 4 years, and have setup test installs of phpBB3betas. I believe phpBB3 will far surpass it's predecessor, it's faster, more features, and I think updates will be much easier as the codebase has been as you pointed out mostly re-written.

That said, punbb is pretty amazing itself, it is VERY fast. That's what drew me to in 2 years ago. The update issues and lack of development team is what drove me away. I think both of those things have been remedied since I ran it,albeit recently, so I would say it's matured alot since then as well. I like punbb, I just like phpBB better. It has more features that most people "expect" to find in forums. Simple things like PM's. I respect the site creator's choice in forum software, and will continue to use it, but I definitely don't have to like it better than the alternatives out there.

If (as a website) your going for LEAN/FAST/FEWER features, punbb was the right choice, if your trying to convince your entire userbase that it's better for them, that's a different story altogether. That is entirely subjective.

#90 2007-01-30 23:04:29

Acid7711
Website

dtw wrote:
Acid7711 wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm I swore the old software was vBulletin

Either way I can't respect the opinion of anyone who would recommend/suggest phpbb.  Anyone that runs a forum knows that phpbb is fundamentally rubbish, even the people who make it.  That's why phpbb3 is a total re-write smile

Ohhh ok, so let me get this straight. Since any thing that is getting totally re-wrote is in fact "rubbish" by your standards and definition, you must also think that e16 is in fact "rubbish" as well since e17 is a complete re-write?  That must be, since that's your reasoning for the above. Imo, that's poor judgment and an even poorer choice of words.  In either case, you don't need to go in bashing people's opinions, it's much more mature to state your own opinion in an open manor instead of saying "Your judgment and opinion is flawed since you believe this and now I don't respect you!".  It doesn't reflect maturity very well.

I've run phpbb for many years and I've had zero, count em zero problems with it.  I think it's by far the best free software out there.  Like it's been suggested, phpbb3 will run much better and hopefully will be released soon. Also, on the same note, I think that phpbb2 plus has all the features that anyone could possibly need from free open sourced forum software.  It works for me, just because you think it's 'rubbish' doesn't mean everyone has to think the same as you, and it also doesn't mean their judgment and opinions are unrespectable and flawed.

#91 2007-01-30 23:16:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

locking.

This is turning into a phpbb vs punbb discussion, which at this point is... pointless. The subject was on the migration, and this is the 'announcement and advisory' section of the forum.

Thanks for all the people who said nice things about all the hard work that went into the change.
Thanks also to the people who made reported inconsistencies in the migration and bugs in conversion.
Thanks to the people who noted things they found lacking, or didn't like in the new system, while presenting them in a manner in which they could be received as constructive criticism.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer