You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-05 21:29:06

punkrockguy318
Website

nVidia vs ATI

I've heard that nVidia drivers are better then ATI.  What are your experiacnes with nVidia drivers?  Easy to install?  Work with the new XFree?  Work nicely?  What do you guys think?  I might switch to using all nVidia cards for all my new pc's...

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-04-05 21:42:59

Bjørn
Website

Re: nVidia vs ATI

Intel cards seem to have nice Linux support. ;-)

http://themanaworld.org/
A Free Real-time Massively Multiplayer Online RPG in development.

#3 2004-04-05 23:42:43

aCoder
Website

If you're only talking about nVidia or ATi, go with nVidia.  I've had an amazing amount of issues with ATi's drivers, as well as with the open source ones.  nVidia's driver's great.  It has an actual installer, that you run in bash, but a real getty, not an xterm.  It tries to find your kernel's module, and if it's not found, it will check thier website, then, if it still can't be found, it will build one for you.  A normal XF86Config with 'nvidia' as the driver is all you need.  My experience is with a friends RIVA 128, so I don't know if you have to config things like a geForce FX differently, but hopefully I will soon, since I plan on switching.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2004-04-10 00:11:36

tehdely
Website

Definitely nvidia.  The nvidia driver is an advanced, full-featured driver with really fine Linux support and responsive developers.

It's obvious that Nvidia actually cares about Linux as a platform, whereas ATI's drivers seem to be more of a "let's get the whiny Linux kiddies off our back" quality.

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#5 2004-04-14 19:56:55

LB06

Well you heard it right smile

Definitely nVidia.

Board footer